Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

best cam for an sts turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best cam for an sts turbo

im not sure if anyone has already posted this or not because i didnt look real hard. im a little new to the ls1 fbody but last weekend i got beat pretty bad by a guy that said his firehawk was stock. my car is bone stock except for a cutout and an hptuners tune. my car is an 02 z28 camaro a4. well i got beat and i was extremely mad so now i wanna do something that nobody really has around here that ive seen. i want to go with a tr cheater cam and just for kicks throw in an sts running at around 8psi but my problem is that i dont know what numbers my cam should be. im thinking 214/230 601/575 117 lsa but i have no idea. like i said im new when i got on this site a little over a year ago lookin for my new pride and joy i had a 65 mustang so thats the name. just let me know what you think and all input is welcome. thx for your time and comments ahead of time.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

You can make more power than the motor can handle with the stock cam.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Teching In

ive figured it be around 400rwhp after headers exhaust and lid and the sts. do you think that is about right or more at 8psi
Old 03-20-2008, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd think something in the 360/360 range would work good for a stock engine and STS, the stock cam would probably work pretty good too.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

call a sponsor and have a custom grind made up for you.. it doesnt cost any more and it will be tailor made for your car/mods/goals
Old 03-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Teching In

see thats my problem. a friend was telling me that for nitrous you want more intake than exhaust but i dont know what it should be for a turbo. that cam is huge im goin for an everyday driver. cheater cam you dont have to run a stall thats why im goin with it. i will prolly end up running like a 300 stall to get me into boost quicker though. thx for all of your input
Old 03-20-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the sts kit with the Cheater cam and i put down 420rwhp at 5 psi. i have since gone to a cam my tuner and i came up with and im pushing 500 at 8psi on a forged 347. the cheater cam works ok but you would be better off with the stock Z06 cam or the TRT cam.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Teching In

whats the specs on your cam? i dont want to go to big but a little bigger wouldnt be much of a big deal. my main question is do you want more intake than exhaust or more exhaust than intake? thats where im running into confusion
Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this video out. http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...MOV00004-1.flv

It has our blower camshaft in it, shown here.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=679

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32
Here is a link to this Camaro. Bob
Old 03-20-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i put down 503/512 on a stock slipping clutch and LT's @ 6.5psi. i now have ported and coated stock manifolds with wrapp to the turbo and a better clutch. im pretty sure im making520ish at 7.5 psi with cam, FMIC and supporting fuel. i did the TRT cam and it works nice
Old 03-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Stay away from the STS kit. Nothing but a headache. Alot of money just to be different. I'd rather have something that isn't a PITA and win races with something reliable.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Teching In

exotic performance the video i couldnt get to play. the camaro is awesome but i dont want to have to do all the engine stuff and my car is my everyday driver so im trying to keep the drivability. the cam is a little bigger than what i want to go with but if there is another one you guys have that is a little smaller i would be interested. thanks for your information.

99z i sure it is but is that with the sts on stock internals and everything and is that to the wheels? im sure thats what you mean but im not sure. if so thats incredible and i will prolly just go with that setup without the cam because thats plenty fast enough to handle most of the cars around here. thanks for your information.

philly your the first person ive heard say anything bad about the sts rearmount. do you have any reasoning behind what you are saying. i would like to know because i dont want to have to build another motor. to rich for my blood. thanks for your information.

thanks everyone for your comments its greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tvstang65
whats the specs on your cam? i dont want to go to big but a little bigger wouldnt be much of a big deal. my main question is do you want more intake than exhaust or more exhaust than intake? thats where im running into confusion

my current cam is 219 231 589 610 115 lsa

it is my daily driver when its not snowing, i would recommend an intercooler or meth to save the eng and dont go above 8 psi on the stock block. the tune more than anything will be the deciding factor in the life of your block tell your tuner to make it a safe tune, sacrifice a little power for longevity. as far as others in this post claiming the STS is a peace take it with a grain of salt. it is no different than all other set ups, you will have to work out small issues but this site has alot of us running the kit and any issues you have most of us have over come and can save you alot of time chasing the fix. look up Zombies threads he posted a novel on his build, its alot more extensive than most of us but it has good info for the initial build.
good luck
Old 03-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Teching In

thanks a lot smoke youve been a big help and its to bad you live so far away from texas. i apprciate your help and will pm you with questions in the coming month or so. i will definitely use zombies posts as references. hopefully me and mainly my tuner haha can get everything figured out and wont have to many problems. he has done very well with the few problems hes had with his heads/cam car. he knows a lot but he just kind of got into the turbo part of it. we will see how it goes i hope to get it ordered next week sometime.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tvstang65
exotic performance the video i couldnt get to play. the camaro is awesome but i dont want to have to do all the engine stuff and my car is my everyday driver so im trying to keep the drivability. the cam is a little bigger than what i want to go with but if there is another one you guys have that is a little smaller i would be interested. thanks for your information.

99z i sure it is but is that with the sts on stock internals and everything and is that to the wheels? im sure thats what you mean but im not sure. if so thats incredible and i will prolly just go with that setup without the cam because thats plenty fast enough to handle most of the cars around here. thanks for your information.

philly your the first person ive heard say anything bad about the sts rearmount. do you have any reasoning behind what you are saying. i would like to know because i dont want to have to build another motor. to rich for my blood. thanks for your information.

thanks everyone for your comments its greatly appreciated.
I have the epp cam and I have zero problems with drive ablity with it. i love this cam
Old 03-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Teching In

thanks a lot man. i will check into it.