General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help!!!!!!!!routine Maint. Now Won"t Start!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!!!!!routine Maint. Now Won"t Start!!!!!

A buddy of mine has a '95 v6 automatic camaro. he was replacing the thermostat, and to get to it he took off the throttle body. By accident he tried turning over the motor with the throttle body still off!! now the car won't run at all. He's already replaced the gasket for the TB, and nothing. What's going on?? It shouldn't have hurt anything right? Anybody know what's going on!!!!!????? If so, please help!!!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 03:14 PM

Anyone?????
Old 03-21-2008, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should still start just double check all the connections at the tb
Old 03-21-2008, 04:07 PM

it starts, runs for about a minute, then chokes and dies. you can't give it no throttle either. That's why i suggested replace the gasket thinking it was a bad vaccuum leak. didn't do nuthin.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

Try leaving the battery disconnected for a while. There might be some codes for trying to run the car with the throttle body disconnected. This will reset the computer. Hopefully will reset the codes.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ArKay99
Try leaving the battery disconnected for a while. There might be some codes for trying to run the car with the throttle body disconnected. This will reset the computer. Hopefully will reset the codes.
Totally agree. It probably threw it into a safe mode or has codes overriding the normal signals. A couple minutes with the battery disconnected should reset the computer.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 05JUDGE
Totally agree. It probably threw it into a safe mode or has codes overriding the normal signals. A couple minutes with the battery disconnected should reset the computer.
i would agree with what has been stated above already and also check your connections for all your MAF, lid, and throttle body stuff. I have forgotten to plug in a sensor before and had it stall out. But yea disconnect the battery and double check connections
Old 03-22-2008, 08:25 AM

Thanks for helping me out on this guys. so he said he left the battery off for like 10 minutes, and its still not running. You think maybe he popped one of those sensors trying to run it like that??? i can't figure it out for the life of me. everything hooked up correctly. Oh yeah, does anyone know the old school way to check the codes using a paper clip??? i can do it to my trruck but i don't know how to do the '95 models.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by "TEN"
Thanks for helping me out on this guys. so he said he left the battery off for like 10 minutes, and its still not running. You think maybe he popped one of those sensors trying to run it like that??? i can't figure it out for the life of me. everything hooked up correctly. Oh yeah, does anyone know the old school way to check the codes using a paper clip??? i can do it to my trruck but i don't know how to do the '95 models.
How far is he from an auto parts store? Best suggestion is to go to an auto store and borrow a code reader for a couple of min's. This really sounds like a MAF sensor problem. I had the same problem when i bought my wrecked z28 only way i could keep it running was to basically floor the accelerator and keep it above 3k. Had the codes read and it was the MAF, spent $25 on a used unit and she fired right up.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:40 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moving to maintenance