General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tick after Plug Install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick after Plug Install?

I changed my plugs last night with NGK TR55's, All gapped at around .55. This is not my 1st plug change so it went pretty straight forward as before. But when I went to leave I now have a tick above 3k rpm into the 3k+ rpm range. Any quick ideas? I went and looked back today and made sure all of the wires were on tight as they all seemed to be. I even pulled one of the plugs where I thought the sound may be coming from and checked it but nothing. I am so mad at this point, anyone help! It sounds almost like a ping, not like my other KR sound! Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Do you have an AIR tube that was moved during install? A gasket leak might be making the noise.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

No AIR and EGR have been removed. I think it sounds like an exhaust leak but the block off plates are on very tight.

I even went back today and rechecked all of the wires and made sure all of the plugs were tight but nothing has fixed it. I guess the wires may have something wrong with them?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Banned

yes sir more than likely real big exhaust leak or a blown header gasket
Old 03-22-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im going to count those out since this started after I changed my plugs. Pretty simple to think it has to be the plug or wire....i guess timing could be perfect but I am doubtful on something else.

Anyone have an idea of what a plug in a car that is not gapped properly sounds like?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone have any ideas? All of the plugs and wires seems to be in tight, could a tick come from a plug that somehow was not gapped correctly even though I checked every plug? Thanks
Old 03-23-2008, 02:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Are you sure that you didn't cross-thread a plug, making it feel tight, even though it's not?

Also, did you check the wires on both ends (coil and plug) to make sure they're tight?
Old 03-23-2008, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

i'm positive one of your plugs/plug wire is not on properly. i had what i thought was an exhaust leak and it was driving me nuts cause i could never find it. turns out one of my plugs had become extremely loose and i could spin it by hand. also, make sure you feel that second click while putting on your wires
Old 03-23-2008, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

If you have any tubing or rubber hose lying around, you can put it to your ear and pin point exactly the plug that is making the noise. Get it narrowed down to the one that causes the problem and reinstall it with anti-seize and see if it helps.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

PROBLEM SOLVED:

Went back for the 3rd day and pulled all of the wires and plugs out. Replaced the wires at autozone with new ones (lifetime warranty), checked the gap on the plugs and added that grease this time for the boots. Get everything in, and now I am a pro at an LS1 spark plug change, start the car and go for a drive and same thing. I was PISSED.

Drive about a mile and get out and pop the hood, thought about what ghardester said and I felt my hand around my homeade AIR block off plates and BAM tons of air was coming out around the block off plate! And it was happening on both sides. Put some gasket maker around the plate and gasket and problem solved.

So I have had 3 complete spark plug changes in 3 days in this and that was not even my problem. GRRR but glad shes running right and no tick. Now if I can fix my KR problem them I will be happy. Thanks for those that posted above!!
Old 03-23-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by E V I L
PROBLEM SOLVED:

Went back for the 3rd day and pulled all of the wires and plugs out. Replaced the wires at autozone with new ones (lifetime warranty), checked the gap on the plugs and added that grease this time for the boots. Get everything in, and now I am a pro at an LS1 spark plug change, start the car and go for a drive and same thing. I was PISSED.

Drive about a mile and get out and pop the hood, thought about what ghardester said and I felt my hand around my homeade AIR block off plates and BAM tons of air was coming out around the block off plate! And it was happening on both sides. Put some gasket maker around the plate and gasket and problem solved.

So I have had 3 complete spark plug changes in 3 days in this and that was not even my problem. GRRR but glad shes running right and no tick. Now if I can fix my KR problem them I will be happy. Thanks for those that posted above!!
Glad to be of help.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

So note to those tightening up THIN AIR block off plates, do not use a breaker bar to tighten them up. LOL

I put so much force in getting them tight that the center section actually lifted up. Time to buy some real strong ones now.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Enlighten me on what "KR" means?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

KR is knock retard. I have a 98 and am getting 4 degrees of KR at WOT. I will be replacing my knock sensors and harness this weekend with upgraded units so hopefully this fixes it. As of right now, when KR hits, it pulls timing and kills hp! So wish me luck!