Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

finally got my BP1 kit *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default finally got my BP1 kit *pics*

I swear no one knows how to deliver **** to my condo, so after like 9 attempts I finally got all my parts

got great customer service from Sam, answered I think the two questions I had quickly and accurately, and I'm excited to get this **** on the car and see how much better it stops.

I'll either update this thread or start a new one later this week when I get it on the car and post the differences visually between these brakes and the OEM ones.

*excited*

Not a bad deal for a little over 500 bucks.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

please keep us updated as im very interested in this kit also.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, lol @ hawks claiming to be "low dust" though.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
Nice, lol @ hawks claiming to be "low dust" though.
Way to stereotype them all.... I'm guessing you might have had/seen HP Plus compound Hawk pads? They are very dusty, HPS's aren't bad at all. They do dust, but not horribly.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

my HPS's hardly dust at all....then again, i keep my car very clean the majority of the time
Old 03-27-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Way to stereotype them all.... I'm guessing you might have had/seen HP Plus compound Hawk pads? They are very dusty, HPS's aren't bad at all. They do dust, but not horribly.
My HPS dust a lot, so do HP+ and all the race pads like Blues that I've seen.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And all Camaro owners have beer bellies and mullets.

Dusting can come from improper bedding, glazed pads and rotors, a stuck caliper (which isn't uncommon on LS1's), etc. C

I don't think they dust badly, others clearly agree. And some think they are horrible, but if you are getting dust like a HP Plus, something is wrong. And race pads like Blues aren't even a fair comparison. How many race cars do you see with clean wheels? Ok, I concede that there are some really dirty Hawk pads (though I didn't say there weren't). And FWIW, Blues are old tech and need to be up to the correct temp and stay there (which is somewhere over 350 degrees or so), or they tear up stuff really badly, including griding down rotors in a hurry.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Sam, what kind of rotors are those and are they that much better then stock blanks or brembo blanks?
Old 03-27-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

actually Sam...ring ring
Old 03-27-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

doh, i think your closed already...i'll call tomorrow
Old 03-27-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

they are ATE rotors
and you can find them on his site

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=0&ModelID=8

he only sells these and brembos as far as rotors
Old 03-27-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

And all Camaro owners have beer bellies and mullets.

Dusting can come from improper bedding, glazed pads and rotors, a stuck caliper (which isn't uncommon on LS1's), etc. C

I don't think they dust badly, others clearly agree. And some think they are horrible, but if you are getting dust like a HP Plus, something is wrong. And race pads like Blues aren't even a fair comparison. How many race cars do you see with clean wheels? Ok, I concede that there are some really dirty Hawk pads (though I didn't say there weren't). And FWIW, Blues are old tech and need to be up to the correct temp and stay there (which is somewhere over 350 degrees or so), or they tear up stuff really badly, including griding down rotors in a hurry.
In my experience they dust a lot more than OEM pads (keep in mind I have the same wheels you do). I don't have any of the issues you mentioned either. Obviously they don't dust as bad as HP+ or any of their race pads, I was just stating that I've never seen a Hawk pad that didn't dust a lot.

However everything in their lineup works really well from what I've experienced/seen. Except for one friend that had his HT10's crumble/disintegrate at the track which caused him to go off course at a high rate of speed. The reason it happened was most likely error on his part though.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sorry guys, I had to leave work early yesterday but I'm back.

The rotors are indeed ATE PremiumOne units, I do also have Brembo (I also have others that I just don't have on the site ranging for good quality "cheap" ones, all the way the other way to DBA, PowerSlots, Baer, etc.

The ATE rotors are popular for a few reasons. First, they are coated with Metacote which keeps the rotor from rusting (except for where the pads run, that's obviously worn away by the pads). Some folks like that. The slots you see are not typical in that they are not as deep as other rotors, and are in actuality wear indicators. When the rotor reaches minimum thickness and needs replaced the lines disappear. And if you noticed the grooves do not run to the edge, or just stop abruptly this is to help eliminate stress risers and cracking.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The vast majority of club racers use Hawk pads, and I've used HT-10's for years and never had such an issue. Can it happen? Sure, you can get a lemon car too. But where brakes are involved common sense is often lacking. I know folks who have actually tried to street drive track pads. They stop, but they tear crap up and they those people have the ***** to blame the pads. The same is true the other way 'round. People try and track street pads and get pissed when they don't tolerate it. Maybe you friend had a bad set of pads, but it's a very, very rare happening and if pads are not run in a suitable heat range, bad things happen.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

The vast majority of club racers use Hawk pads, and I've used HT-10's for years and never had such an issue. Can it happen? Sure, you can get a lemon car too. But where brakes are involved common sense is often lacking. I know folks who have actually tried to street drive track pads. They stop, but they tear crap up and they those people have the ***** to blame the pads. The same is true the other way 'round. People try and track street pads and get pissed when they don't tolerate it. Maybe you friend had a bad set of pads, but it's a very, very rare happening and if pads are not run in a suitable heat range, bad things happen.
Pretty sure he drove them on the street and glazed them, last I heard Hawk had asked him to send them in for analysis so I don't know.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been having trouble finding time and space to work on this little project.

I'll be doing a full write up with pics though as far as how my brakes were performing before, and then how they "brake in" (lol) and perform when they are working 100%
Old 03-28-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and fwiw yes I am actually excited about the coating that prevents rust. Not that we have an issue with that here (AZ) but if it helps things look cleaner I'm all for it.

Also looking forward to seeing how these pads make a mess of my wheels lol. I'll post pics of how they look after install, and after a couple of intervals of miles so you guys can see. I'm really easy on my brakes 95% of the time.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oso SS
and fwiw yes I am actually excited about the coating that prevents rust. Not that we have an issue with that here (AZ) but if it helps things look cleaner I'm all for it.
So the ATE rotors have a special coating thats supposed to prevent rust?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

The MetaCote protective coating formulation is cured at approximately 572�F. No grease or oil to remove, and helps protect against road salt, brake fluid and other corrosives � sheds water and dirt for clean appearance behind cast spoke wheels.
straight from strano's website
Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting..

Wonder if it actually works.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a dick either, but you just never know what salt will do to something, it's rediculous up here in NY.

Last edited by Shockwave179; 03-31-2008 at 07:58 AM.