Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump Install ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Oil Pump Install ?

Ok I tried using Search but couldnt really find a clear answer.
I will be doing a cam swap pretty soon on the 02 TA pretty soon.
I ordered the ported/blueprinted LS6 pump as well.
What I was wanting to know is, if I dont disassemble the pump when installing it, I dont have to center it with .002 feeler gauges correct?
If I lower the pan 1/2 and inch or so to get to the pickup tube bolts I dont have to disassemble it, therefore no recentering is required, and all I have to do is slide it over the crank and get the gears lined up.
Is this correct?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know what you mean about centering it to begin with. I just slapped mine on, and tightened it down. No issues. One piece of advice though: tie dental floss to the pickup tube bolt that way when you drop it down the oil pan, you can retrieve it. Just cut the floss with a razor after you get a couple threads in. This bolt is very frustrating.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 to slapping it on and tightning it down. I did the exact same thing. I dropped my pan and still droped the bolt once. Thank god for the magnent. I then used the magnent to put it back in. I put the threads on the side of the magnent, stuck it in there and threaded it in slowly with my index finger. It somehow worked perfectly. Kinda like so:

Old 03-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a new o ring when I swapped mine, pretty cheap insurance incase you pinch the stock one.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:13 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro396
+1 to slapping it on and tightning it down. I did the exact same thing. I dropped my pan and still droped the bolt once. Thank god for the magnent. I then used the magnent to put it back in. I put the threads on the side of the magnent, stuck it in there and threaded it in slowly with my index finger. It somehow worked perfectly. Kinda like so:

Nice illustration :thumbsup:

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-26-2008, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Sometimes I get bored here at work. Hahah.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GMRL
Ok I tried using Search but couldnt really find a clear answer.
I will be doing a cam swap pretty soon on the 02 TA pretty soon.
I ordered the ported/blueprinted LS6 pump as well.
What I was wanting to know is, if I dont disassemble the pump when installing it, I dont have to center it with .002 feeler gauges correct?
If I lower the pan 1/2 and inch or so to get to the pickup tube bolts I dont have to disassemble it, therefore no recentering is required, and all I have to do is slide it over the crank and get the gears lined up.
Is this correct?
I have seen two people who recommend this. One is New Era Performance. So last night I went in to look at my ported pump and am trying to figure out if you use the feeler gages, since the inner gear is the only one in contact with the crank sprocket and floats, why won't it just fall to its own natural position afterwards? Also, there is no mention of this in the Service Manual so if it was that important, it would be in there. I haven't figured out the logic in it yet.

Last edited by vettenuts; 03-27-2008 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Teching In

The centering is recommended to reduce pump wear but is not madatory. Make sure you follow the bolt tightening sequence when centering the pump. Will Handzel's book covers the procedure.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Launching!

I disassembled mine and used two .002 feeler gauges to walk around the crank to center the pump . Once I was satisfied that it was centered , I left the feeler gauges in until I snugged the bolts enough to remove the gauges without the pump moving and then torqued the pump bolts . I then lubed all the internal parts of the pump with assembly lube . Worked like a champ for me !
Old 03-26-2008, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
I agree very good illustration, you get an A+ for art class.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

So maybe its recommended to reduce initial startup wear? Well, it seems like alot of people have bolted it on without centering it and have gotten away with no problems. Plus if it was that critical it would be in the service manual as stated above. Ill follow the proper tightening sequence since its worked for everbody else. I also got a new o-ring. Also thanx for the magnet and floss tips, ill try one of those.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zitty'sZ
I disassembled mine and used two .002 feeler gauges to walk around the crank to center the pump . Once I was satisfied that it was centered , I left the feeler gauges in until I snugged the bolts enough to remove the gauges without the pump moving and then torqued the pump bolts . I then lubed all the internal parts of the pump with assembly lube . Worked like a champ for me !
Were you centering the inner gear or the pump housing itself?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Were you centering the inner gear or the pump housing itself?
The pump housing . After I felt it was centered , I left the feeler gauges 180 degrees apart and tightened the pump bolts , then lubed everything with assembly lube and put the pump back together . When I started the engine for the first time , I had oil pressure almost instantly .
Old 03-28-2008, 05:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

The pump housing . After I felt it was centered , I left the feeler gauges 180 degrees apart and tightened the pump bolts , then lubed everything with assembly lube and put the pump back together . When I started the engine for the first time , I had oil pressure almost instantly .
Couldn't this be done with the front cover on?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Launching!

No, if you have and old pump laying around that you could disassemble , you will see that the inner gerotor gear is the gear that has the splines in it that mates to the splines on the crank snout . When you slide the oil pump on the crank there is very little clearance between the pump housing and the "male splines" on the crank , this is where the .002 feeler gauges are used . The gerotor gears are only about 3/8 of an inch or so in thickness , but the splined portion of the crank is maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches long, so the housing naturally has to be in close proximity to the crank . I hope this makes sense to you as I may not be the best at describing things sometimes .
Old 03-29-2008, 09:04 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Like what Zitty said, you're basically centering the oil pump gear around the oil pump drive splines on the crankshaft. You would need the front cover off to have access to the front of the pump. If it's not centered, it could load unevenly and cause a little extra wear, but I don't think it's too critical. Just a good idea.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KCS
Like what Zitty said, you're basically centering the oil pump gear around the oil pump drive splines on the crankshaft. You would need the front cover off to have access to the front of the pump. If it's not centered, it could load unevenly and cause a little extra wear, but I don't think it's too critical. Just a good idea.
But the center gear floats so once you remove the feeler gages it can move.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Launching!

But the center gear floats so once you remove the feeler gages it can move.
I don't think it moves too much once it is installed because of the splines mating with each other . Remember , you are centering the housing on the crank ... not the gears , they will find their own center when they are installed back in the pump .
Old 03-29-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think it moves too much once it is installed because of the splines mating with each other . Remember , you are centering the housing on the crank ... not the gears , they will find their own center when they are installed back in the pump .
Thats what I was thinking, for some reason when I read about it, I got it all mixed up. I couldnt figure out why they were trying to center gears.

This makes alot more sense though, and seems very easy to do.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
tie dental floss to the pickup tube bolt that way when you drop it down the oil pan, you can retrieve it.
Right, because it's a matter of when not if