Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Carb to EFI swap what parts are needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 Carb to EFI swap what parts are needed?

Looking to swap my carbed LQ4 to factory EFI. I have fbody accessories already. I need help with all the parts needed to do this swap. I'll have to piece it all together and I don't want to leave anything out. The engine is in a 81 camaro so I don't need any emissons stuff just all the sensors and components to run the engine.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats wrong with the carb set-up?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Nothings wrong with it I just want EFI for the drivability ,cold starts, and fuel economy.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Nobody?

So far I will need an intake, t/b, injectors, fuel rail, maf, map, knock sensors and harness, o2 sensors, ecm, wiring harness,IAC, tps sensor. Am i missiong anything? What else?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pump and regulator for higher pressure.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zedzag
Nobody?

So far I will need an intake, t/b, injectors, fuel rail, maf, map, knock sensors and harness, o2 sensors, ecm, wiring harness,IAC, tps sensor. Am i missiong anything? What else?
I agree with your reasoning for wanting to swap over to EFI, but have you estimated the cost to do the swap as compared to the improved performance ( fuel mileage is a good place to start). It may take a long time to recover the expenses. You should probably add a custom tune for the PCM, to your list. A sumped fuel tank is a good idea as well and some type of fuel pressure regulator. Depending on the pump and/or the fuel rail setup, you may have to plumb in a return line. I started out with the EFI approach and the costs started getting out of hand, so I sold off all the EFI stuff and switched to the carb.

Last edited by george88gta; 03-27-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Well just one quick question befor anyone else ask you. Are you going to seel the carbed intake setup?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Launching!

I don't quite know what you mean by "seel the carbed intake".

I know what fuel systenm to run but some of the factory EFI parts I'm still wondering about. I quess what I really need to ask is this: I you were switching to Factory EFI and you had a bare intake manifold, bare throttle body, bare fuel rail etc, waht else do you need? I know all these parts may need a sensor and there are a lot of vaccum lines or tubes going from the t/b to the rear of the intake to a large fitting with more connections. I was trying to piece the whole system together but the more I look into it, the more my head hurts.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't quite know what you mean by "seel the carbed intake".

I know what fuel systenm to run but some of the factory EFI parts I'm still wondering about. I quess what I really need to ask is this: I you were switching to Factory EFI and you had a bare intake manifold, bare throttle body, bare fuel rail etc, waht else do you need? I know all these parts may need a sensor and there are a lot of vaccum lines or tubes going from the t/b to the rear of the intake to a large fitting with more connections. I was trying to piece the whole system together but the more I look into it, the more my head hurts.

I think he means "sell".
Old 03-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nobreaks254
I think he means "sell".
Ah yeah you're probably tight. I'll be selling it eventually...just depends when I switch over to EFI.

I was looking at more swap pics and the area that has me baffled is all the tubes and hoses running from the throttle body along both sides of the intake manifold to the rear of the manifold. What re they all for? What can I omit from there and wha has to stay? I don't have these parts and don't want to have to find them all. I think the drivers side is all egr stuff and that can go. The passenger side lines look like vaccum and t/b coolant ? Anybody know what I need? I'm probablty going to end up with a bare used LS6 intake.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah yeah you're probably tight. I'll be selling it eventually...just depends when I switch over to EFI.

I was looking at more swap pics and the area that has me baffled is all the tubes and hoses running from the throttle body along both sides of the intake manifold to the rear of the manifold. What re they all for? What can I omit from there and wha has to stay? I don't have these parts and don't want to have to find them all. I think the drivers side is all egr stuff and that can go. The passenger side lines look like vaccum and t/b coolant ? Anybody know what I need? I'm probablty going to end up with a bare used LS6 intake.
Those hoses are the TB coolant, fuel tank venting and PCV. If you plan to drive the car in cold weather, it is probably a good idea to leave the TB coolant hoses installed. The PCV is a must, if you dont have some other means of providing venting/breather for the crankcase. See if you can find a copy of the emissions/vacuum hose routing labels on a 4th gen. That will show you how to route the PCV hoses and the tank venting. If you add the tank venting, you will need the solenoid/valve. Not sure about a 4th gen, but on a 3rd gen, there is a charcoal filter canister that works with the solenoid. I dont think you can bypass the tank venting, the return line will build up pressure in the tank and it has to get vented out. Using a vented gas cap will get messy. Maybe someone on this site has figured out a standalone venting system. I seem to recall that the 3rd gen TPI cars had a small filter/vent attached directly to the tank. That may work.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by george88gta
Those hoses are the TB coolant, fuel tank venting and PCV. If you plan to drive the car in cold weather, it is probably a good idea to leave the TB coolant hoses installed. The PCV is a must, if you dont have some other means of providing venting/breather for the crankcase. See if you can find a copy of the emissions/vacuum hose routing labels on a 4th gen. That will show you how to route the PCV hoses and the tank venting. If you add the tank venting, you will need the solenoid/valve. Not sure about a 4th gen, but on a 3rd gen, there is a charcoal filter canister that works with the solenoid. I dont think you can bypass the tank venting, the return line will build up pressure in the tank and it has to get vented out. Using a vented gas cap will get messy. Maybe someone on this site has figured out a standalone venting system. I seem to recall that the 3rd gen TPI cars had a small filter/vent attached directly to the tank. That may work.
That's what I needed to know. I have to learn what the systems are before I know what I have to hook up.

Quick Reply: LS1 Carb to EFI swap what parts are needed?