Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning for TH400 Manual valve body

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning for TH400 Manual valve body

I put my first post in the TH400 tranny section but maybe I should have posted here, I am taking my 4L60E out and going to a TH400 tranny so what do I need to do with the PCM this is a reverse manual shift tranny with a trans brake so I would like to know who I can get to turn most of the tranny features off on the PCM since it is all manual shift even though it is an automatic. Any thoughts are welcome really looking for qualified tuners so I can send my PCM off and not have it locked either, thanks.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

I don't think you have to do anything really. The speedometer wont work, so you might have to do something different there.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Speedo will be fine because I am using the gear vendors overdrive which has the attachment for the speedo but after I think about it, it does seem as though it would be just like as if you were shifting your 4L60E manually but the only thing the plug in will no longer be used to the tranny so I would expect the computer gets shift feedback from the 4L60E that it does not get from the TH400 so it seems those would have to be changed so they wouldn't be needing a signal going to the computer so you won't throw any codes. I just wonder and want to here from all about their experience with the computer when changing to a TH400 or TH350 and what about the stall is there anything needed for it to stall correctly and does the computer expect any feedback from the tranny from anything coming off the transmission.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can't remember where, although I've seen a modified tailhousing that included VSS provisions. Otherwise, I have also seen a box that will attach to the speedometer cable output and convert it to a VSS.

Both solutions were at or around $300.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 AM
10 Second Club

Remember to set the BadVSS rev limiter to what you actually want it at. If the PCM sees no speedo because of the swap it will read from that table for fuel cutoff.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

I do have the VSS for the speed coming off the gear vendors tail housing which is how I am getting my overdrive, so from what you all are saying as long as the computer knows what speed you are at it will be fine and everything else should be okay?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cbruer
I do have the VSS for the speed coming off the gear vendors tail housing which is how I am getting my overdrive, so from what you all are saying as long as the computer knows what speed you are at it will be fine and everything else should be okay?
As long as you have the proper pulses per mile, that equates to the correct speed, you're good to go.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys good on the VSS just got off the phone with gear vendors and they assured me the VSS was with the unit I purchased. Any other issues let me know, any you all can think of.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You can reflash the car to a M6 and it will be alot easier. Screw the speedo, you'll never look at it down the track, and just cruise with traffic on the street.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the PCM still needs to know if the tranny is in P/N or drive, the tables are different for them. If you flash it like an M6 it will always read from the P/N tables, so make sure you copy all of your stuff over from your old tune if it has been tuned in the other tables.