Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOS Programmable Nitrous Controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOS Programmable Nitrous Controller

Anyone using this or heard good/bad things about it?
Old 07-30-2003, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: NOS Programmable Nitrous Controller

I build the NOS programable controllers for them and also a few others with differant features. We have sold thousands of these and they work quite well. I am currently testing a new prototype controller on my 99 TA. It controls Igntion timing, applies nitrous based on RPM and throttle position. i.e - Nitrous flow can be mapped based on RPM and throttle position. Here is a link to some other controllers that work well. http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/i...84&count=1
Old 07-30-2003, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Technoman64, more details please! im very interested in the timing retard functionality of this piece. thanks!
Old 07-30-2003, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man if you can make a progressive controller with those features that actually works, I'll be all over it. It would be like a jacobs unit piggybacked with a ramchargers timing tuner, and you still have the added feature of mapping for throttle position. What is the ETA for this controller, and what is the expected price range for it? I better go now, I think I just wet myself.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see that trottle position and rpm means anything to drag racing. On the line my foot is to the floor until I cross the line and my rpm's never drop below 5100 during a run (yes I shoot through shifts - power shift )

Now a true progressive controller that will give me say 60% of a 200 shot out of the hole and build to 100% of the 200 shot at 5-6 second would be cool. Of course along with the percentage of nitrous would come a progressive pulling of timing (what's like 1-2 degree of timing for each 50 hp?). At a reasonable price, that is what I am waiting for.

David
Old 08-01-2003, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Is it possible to use a 75 shot and then instantly go to a 150 shot by pushing a button/ turning a **** when using a progressive controller. I dont think that I would actually be using the timing feature on the progressive controller. I am trying to avoid using a 2 stage set-up to go from a 75 shot to a 150 shot.

What nitrous controller would be good for this?
Old 08-01-2003, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have 15 Revision A proto boards being manufactured now. I will test this at the local dragstrip myself. Also if You mash the throttle all the way the controller then controls the Nitrous by a progressive timer. It takes the percentage it is at, then looks at the Progressive ramp you have programmed and determines the time required to complete the ramp. If you just mash it then it would just follow the progressive settings. The Ignition Timing can also be applied with a Progressive Timer. This works quite well on the bikes. For a controller that is available now the Progressive '2' Nitrous controller on the link listed in my first post has a dual Ramp feature. You can program how the Timers work when you lift and re-apply the activation signal. I will most likely make some of the first proto controllers available for testing. I have to re-write some of the software and I also have a Grpahical Handheld programmer unit that is coming along quite nicely. This will be affordable and allows in vehicle tuning without the need for a laptop. I have created a mouse driven operating system that is controlled by a small joystick with an integrated button for selections. The unit may be connected to an RS-232 port also so the Handheld unit is NOT required for operation. I have done all the work for this on my own time at home and is not a work project. Feedback and suggestions is what builds beter products for Throttle Junkies like myself. Thanks in advance for feedback and suggestions regarding this project. PS - I have had this system working on a Stock ZX-12 EFI bike with forged pistons and we made 308hp on the Dyno
Old 08-01-2003, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

The Progressive '2' controller that can be found with the link from my first posting has a Dual Ramp feature that would allow you to achieve what you are wanting to do. There are User Manuals on the product page available for download in pdf format. I have seen ET racers use the dual ramp to take the NOS to 100% and then back it off to around 70-80% with the 2nd ramp. You can then connect a momentary push switch to ground and the output(s) of the NOS controller so you can do a 100% over-ride. This at least allows you to try to make up for a missed shift or being caught sleeping off the line.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Man if you can make a progressive controller with those features that actually works, I'll be all over it. It would be like a jacobs unit piggybacked with a ramchargers timing tuner, and you still have the added feature of mapping for throttle position. What is the ETA for this controller, and what is the expected price range for it? I better go now, I think I just wet myself.
I am there! Sign me up for one when you get them built!!
Old 08-01-2003, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

If your looking for a test car -- ME ME

I have the fuel pump and new injectors on the way. I am hoping to do a progressive 200 shot, stock bottom end, and 10's . Should work right? 50% (100 shot out of the hole); progressive to 100% (200 shot) in about 6 seconds (should be in 3rd ready to hit 4th).

Let me know if you want someone to help you test it.

David
Old 08-06-2003, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

I HAD a NOS time based progressive unit, and I liked it until it stopped working. NOS says they can't even take them apart so now I have a 320 dollar paperweight. Pretty bad bargain for only getting about 15 runs off of it. Since it was 15 runs over a year (storage time included) it's past their warranty
Old 08-06-2003, 04:25 PM
Restricted User

Technoman64, I will go ahead an volunteer myself as the pacific A4 test mule. Need feedback from cold climates, hot climates and humid, and dry and even some of paradise right? Besides word of mouth goes along way.....live Aloha!
Old 08-06-2003, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

How does a progressive unit work. What restices the flow of nitrous? Does it just change the frequency?

Old 08-06-2003, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I build and program them. The unit that NOS sells can be adjusted for frequency and Time based on start percent to final percent. I have found that advanced PFM-PWM algorythms work best and have begun to employ this type of control in some of our newer models. I really dont feel comfortable discussing controllers that we sell as a business untill we are setup as a sponser. This should be within a week or so. I have seen and tested several differant types of controllers and have tested for the last 8 years and know how to make the Nitrous power curve alter based on the control method. It is not just about percentages.