LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Removing Oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing Oil pan

So I'm installing a cam and I ended up tearing the oil pan gasket. So I have to replace the oil pan gasket. Now I've gotten all the bolts out of the oil pan on the passenger side but I cant get to half of the bolts on the drivers side especially the bolts near where the oil filter goes. If anyone could give me some tips on getting those bolts out it would be GREAT.......
Old 04-05-2008, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Did You Remove The Bolts That Go Through The Motor Mounts? I Think They Have To Come Out In Order To Raise The Engine Up For Extra Room So The Pan Can Come Out. IT MAY ALSO HELP IF THE Y-PIPE IS DISCONECTED
SO THE ENGINE CAN BE RAISED HIGHER AND I THINK THE STARTER SHOULD COME OUTOF THE WAY.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:14 AM
Teching In

I'm in the middle of installing a new cam in my car too. I didn't tear the gasket but decided to drop the pan to make sure it doesn't leak.
You will have to remove the motor mount bolts and raise the engine a few inches. I see you have LTs, are they making the driver's side bolts hard to reach? Those bolts are easy to reach with stock manifolds.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:20 AM
12 Second Club

you probably have an oil cooler on the car also, that needs to come off to get those bolts out. and also it is a six speed so you will have to unbolt the motor mounts, jack the motor up as much as you can and then loosen all 6 k-member bolts and drop it down a inch or so. if you dont do that you will never get the pan in and out. its not a fun or easy job.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The oil cooler does need to be removed. In my application it was in the way. I also found that with my solid motor mounts the mount was in the way on the driver side. Do not put anything on the pan to lift the motor, I did so and it bent the pan up enough to hit the rotating assembly causing a loud banging, necessitating oil pan removal to bend it back out. Heating it and cooling it quickly didn't do the job.

remove the oil cooler lines
removed the motor mount
loosened the last oil pan bolt
removed the passenger motor mount bolt
lift the motor
dropped the oil pan down
loosened the k member without taking the bolts out
wiggle the pan around until you can fish it out
place the gasket on the pan after removing the old gasket
wiggle the pan back in
put the gasket back in place
bolt everything back in
Old 04-06-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you also have to turn the crank to make sure the crankshaft isnt getting in the way of the removal of the pan. i just did this a week ago. wasn't fun
Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also remove the low oil sensor to get the pan off
Old 04-06-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just did this, I jacked the motor up on the transmission pan, y pipe has to come out unless you have long tubes, but you still have to unbolt it after the y pipe...