Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Service Engine Soon

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Service Engine Soon

OK, so I was driving my 2002 Camaro LE today and I noticed my "service engine soon" light was on. I just got this car and this is the first I have seen of this. I assume that its one of those programmed maintaince points newer cars have or a minor emissions issue. The car is driving just fine and I have noticed anything strange about it. Is that all this light tends to be...or is something I should be worried about?

Oh, the car has 47,777 miles on it and its a 2002 Camaro SS LE M6 SLP car.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Take it to Autozone and have it scanned (they do it for free). Your code will tell you what's wrong. Or just buy an OBD II code reader for $100 and do it yourself.
I've never heard of the SES light coming on for programmed maintenance intervals on these cars. That's usually for European cars so they can charge you $800 to change the oil and reset the light.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

I'm guessing its probably an oxygen sensor or something. I'm going to try and stop by autozone tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check the pcv elbow that goes to the intake on the front. Mine was sucked together and ended up tearing a hole in itself. Its wierd but I found it because it was making a sucking sound. After I replaced it my light went off. Just a thought. It can throw a code for low catalyst on one of the banks and seem like it is a o2 sensor or bad cat but more than likely it is something simple. hopefully anyway.

Last edited by Ntimid8r7; 04-09-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure your gas cap is on all the way.

Bill
Old 04-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

The code I got is P0327 which codes for the front knock sensor. But, the autozone scan said oxygen sensor. I'm more inclined to trust the code...obviously, but I'm not sure how to proceed with fixing this.

Oh, and the gas cap is on all the way.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CamaroDMD
The code I got is P0327 which codes for the front knock sensor. But, the autozone scan said oxygen sensor. I'm more inclined to trust the code...obviously, but I'm not sure how to proceed with fixing this.
You have two knock sensors under the intake. The wires come out the back of the intake to a braket and plug connector. Check and make sure it is plugged in. You could have a bad sensor.

Bill
Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

OK, so I'll have to check that. If it came unplugged...it wouldn't surprise me because the light came on the other day when I had gotten on the throttle pretty good.

If you could, would you please post a picture so I know where on the intake the sensors are? I'm not used to working on newer motors and all the electrical stuff is kind of a maze to me. Thanks!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CamaroDMD
OK, so I'll have to check that. If it came unplugged...it wouldn't surprise me because the light came on the other day when I had gotten on the throttle pretty good.

If you could, would you please post a picture so I know where on the intake the sensors are? I'm not used to working on newer motors and all the electrical stuff is kind of a maze to me. Thanks!!!
Hope this helps. They are under the two big plugs.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Service Engine Soon-heads_papertowel.jpg  

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon