Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worn Comp Cam lobes and oil additives

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Worn Comp Cam lobes and oil additives

In speaking with a sponsor this afternoon, he indicated Comps response to recent worn lobes is that the synthetic oils we're using do not have enough anti-wear additives in them and thus is causing the wear. They are recommending using Rotella instead.

Discuss...
Old 04-09-2008, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same ole story.Always the end users fault. I guess the oil is
to blame for all the broken 918's and the pins sliding out of
there lifters too. I realize there has not been massive failures
of these products,but I have read about a few.
Since when does COMP suggest a certain oil? Only after a failure?
I might of missed it on there website but I've only seen special lubes
for flat tappet cam/lifters. I dunno.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah roller camshafts should not require special oil.

Comp Cams makes an engine/camshaft break-in additive that has the stuff they've taken out of the motor oils throughout the years.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
yeah roller camshafts should not require special oil.

Comp Cams makes an engine/camshaft break-in additive that has the stuff they've taken out of the motor oils throughout the years.
Comp Cams # 159. I add a bottle at every oil change! Mostly for the forged pistons to prevent scuffing.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

all new oil has a lower ZDP content for enviromental reasons (there are some special blends with higher ZDP content still obtainable), but that additive only concerns flat tappet cams, roller cams are not susceptible to the same wear problems as flat tappet cams....so in short either Comp is blowin smoke up their *** or the sponsor doesnt know what he's talikng about...
Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

zinc,zinc,zinc.
and i'm sure it will probably get worse and worse with the epa or whoever is regulating it.
comp probably hasn't started putting recomendations on their products because there haven't been enough failures that have been directly linked to the tighter restrictions imo. a hydraulic roller setup has much less wear but there is still alittle resistance so i think it would be possible for some wear to occur.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with above, flat tappet would be an issue, roller shouldn't be. I think Comps quality control is a bigger problem.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

roller cams should show no wear at all, my stock cam at 70,000 miles loooked brand new.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

-Are the aftermarket camshaft lobes ramps agressiveness (and therefore Extreme Pressure added generated) testing included in the new Oil formula homologation?

-Do you think the aftermarket valves spring rates are close by any of the OEM spring rate pressure (and therefore Extreme Pressure added generated again) and that new Oil are built and tested for?

- Is the extra reving (specially with the big power camshaft) a part of the study or the testing of the new oil formula?

After you find the answers, you understand why with modified engines it is better to use ZDDP in oil or racing oils for the health of your high power level engine.
Christian
Old 04-10-2008, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Deeavi
Comp Cams # 159. I add a bottle at every oil change! Mostly for the forged pistons to prevent scuffing.
Shouldn't be having an issue with wearing lobes. If synthetic were the cause of the excessive wear, do you think race teams would use it in their motors? Sounds more like a manufacturing issue. I agree with the Comp #159 additive. it is really good stuff and is especially good for break in.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Banned

This topic is well over 6 years old. Yes zinc was removed from oil so rotella was recommended, now in the last year or two the EPA is requiring the zinc be removed from all oil. Except racing oil.
As said roller cams need no special oil, all the above doesn't apply to roller cams.
Roller cams can wear lobes off if the lifter retainers let the lifter ride the cam at an angle.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't listen to Christian, he doesnt know anything about making HP jk man. I run Mobile 1 Delvac 1300 15w. I use it in my durmax and have it in my LS1 right now. Best part is that Wal-mart carries it. Also there are fleets of semi trucks who use delvac that change their oil at 150,000 mile intervals. The zinc content is something like .16%.

Last edited by Shawn MacAnanny; 04-10-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Anti-Vnm
If synthetic were the cause of the excessive wear, do you think race teams would use it in their motors?
I don't know at all about NASCAR racing then will not guess what kind of oil they use...

But at the highest level of racing the used lubricant are far away from synthetic oils you find in the market, really far sometime...may be difficult to assimilate to any GroupIII, IV or V.

I am interested to learn what kind of lubricant NASCAR is using, but my bet is that I will not learn that info on this forum!!!

Christian
Old 04-10-2008, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miami993c297
But at the highest level of racing the used lubricant are far away from synthetic oils you find in the market, really far sometime...may be difficult to assimilate to any GroupIII, IV or V.

I am interested to learn what kind of lubricant NASCAR is using, but my bet is that I will not learn that info on this forum!!!

Christian
"With Mobil 1 as the Official Motor Oil of NASCAR and our increased involvement with Penske Racing, we are looking forward to leveraging the consumer passion for NASCAR to showcase why Mobil 1 is the world's leading synthetic motor oil," said Jan Crowe, Americas Marketing Manager, ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties. "
Old 04-10-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gary Z
"With Mobil 1 as the Official Motor Oil of NASCAR and our increased involvement with Penske Racing, we are looking forward to leveraging the consumer passion for NASCAR to showcase why Mobil 1 is the world's leading synthetic motor oil," said Jan Crowe, Americas Marketing Manager, ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties. "
In bold above the only word that counts in this PR...at least for me.
And I will not start a debate except if someone brings data.

Christian
Old 04-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...oil/index.html
Old 04-12-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure how well moly protects as compared to ZDDP, but many oils still have moly, especially Redline (I realize its a racing oil).
Old 04-12-2008, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
Don't listen to Christian, he doesnt know anything about making HP jk man. I run Mobile 1 Delvac 1300 15w. I use it in my durmax and have it in my LS1 right now. Best part is that Wal-mart carries it. Also there are fleets of semi trucks who use delvac that change their oil at 150,000 mile intervals. The zinc content is something like .16%.
+1 on this, my engine builder was talkin about that delvac stuff for brake in.So this mobil 1 delvac has the additives and is a full sythentic??
Old 04-12-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm ive been reading and there are two types of delvac. i run the 15w40 but there is also a 5 40 i belive
Old 04-12-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Curious, what was the valve train setup in the OP's car?

Quick Reply: Worn Comp Cam lobes and oil additives