Sponsored by:

speed sensor replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default speed sensor replacement???

this is stangkiller2005 posting on my friends S/N
the car is a 2000 with a 4l60e. 3500 stall, cam, and bolt ons.

ok so i took my car to our tuner out here in the bay area, and he pointed out to me something my car is doing. im trying to get my car to shift under WOT now that i have a stall. so far i have been unsuccesful. the car will not shift 1-2 WOT, and 2-3 WOT. i first thought that it was because my car was tuned for a 273 gear, and i have 342s out back, and also that my shift points were to high. my tuner fixed both of those. he lowered my shift points to 6100 or 6200 not sure. and fixed my gear ratio. im still having the same problem. what he pointed out to me is the speedo takes awhile to start moving. our guess is somewhere to 10-20 mph before it starts to lift. he told me it could be a bad or dirty SPEED SENSOR. what do you guys think? it sounds like it can very possibly be the culprit to my problem. were thinkin its just MPH being wrong, and car not shifting due to false MPH on the speedo.

thanks in advance for all help!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats a likley posibility I would just change it easy enough "press the easy button" And see what happens

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-13-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok will do! what else do you think it is?

i have been watching my speedo more now. and wow it does take forever to start lifting up! i say im going bout 15 mph before it starts climbing. so i think its a few mph off. and since the computer sees that it dosnt allow the car to shift.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

another thing i forgot to mention. ive been reading and it seems to be related to the same problem. im not sure.

my ABS INOP, Brake, and ASR light come on every now and then. its more prone to come on when i have ben giving the car more heavy acceleration.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you could indeed replace the sensor... but I believe in fixing the obvious things 1st. Get it tuned for the proper gear ratio. That itself could be why the speedo is not reading properly.

I have personally, this year fixed two F-bodies with shift issues by replacing the Vehicle Speed Sensor. It is an easy enough swap, not to mention it is inexpensive.

The other symptoms could easily be related to an inacurate VSS signal.

Get it tuned for the gear and swap the sensor out, then get back to us.

g
Old 04-14-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

already got it tuned for the gear, and lowered the shift points. so now i guess it just leaves to change the speed sensor! ima hopefully get it today or sometime this week and change it out. do you happen to have a picture? just so i can compare the sensor to the one they showed me at the autopart store. i wanna make sure they are givin me the right part. because alot of the time they dont know what the hell your talkin bout. they just assume the computer is right.

again thanks for all the help! hope this sensor fixes it. gotta get ready for the track on the 26th
Old 04-19-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok we changed the speed sensor, and are still having the same problem. i got an SES light and it came out to be 0751 witch is shift (solenoid A Performance or stuck off.) im not sure what that is. i talked to my tuner and he said it was because of the bad vss reading or something. he told me to check the connector see if the wires are nicely on there and that the connector is clean so that it makes good contact. what else can i do to troubleshoot the problem?
Old 04-19-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone? do you guys think my shifting problem will atleast be fixed by deleting the po751 code? i could careless bout the mph being right. i just want my car to shift, and smoke people!
Old 04-21-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

well went to my tuner had the codes turned off so they cant be detected no more. and im still have the same fuking issue! its really starting to irritate me! the only gear it seems to be locking me out of is 2nd. every other gear works fine, and pulls hard.

only other symptoms i have is the car stayin in 1st until the speedo passes 7-10 mph. after that it will shift. also when im driving and say i wanted to do a 2nd gear punch and manually downshift to 2nd it wont do anything. it just acts like i droped it in neutral. but if im going slow enough it will skip 2nd and go to 1st. could it be the shift sylinoid thats fried? if it is ima bout to go buy that bitch and swap it out. do you think my vss is really screwed up? cuz its also still giving me the problem where the mph wont move till after im already rolling. i think its bout 10-15 real mph before it starts to climb. my tuner told me to get a new pig tail and splice the cables. he thinks its a bad connector. i sure hope so! if it aint that then im changing the sylinoid.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody?