Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

So my RPS clutch, is a Mustang Clutch? Story insi.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default So my RPS clutch, is a Mustang Clutch? Story insi.

So as some of you know I had to get my clutch changed out because it's been slipping/dying for about 2-3 months (yea I know should have changed it sooner, just 500 + bucks for a clutch + labor was something I didnt wanna do yet... ) so I call RPS and they tell me I have a rebuildable one, and I can take it to one of their dealers. Well before I do that, I call my grandpa (owned an auto shop for over 35 years here in chula vista/sandiego) and he tells me about a guy who knows all about clutches.

Well I go pay this guy a visit before I make my drive to Vista to get clutch rebuilt from a RPS dealer, and I get there, the guy looks at my clutch and within about 10 seconds he says, "Oh you have a mustang clutch?" I tell him, no it's a ls1 transam, he says "REally? So this is what Robs been doing with those clutches". Apparently im not 100% on this, but Rob @ strictly performance installs these clutches for people, not saying anything wrong with that, just apparently these are mustang clutches, holding power over 500 HP (emailed rps to confirm).

I tell him theres no way a mustang clutch would fit my car ? He says "im a ford guy and Im familiar with these clutches because I sell a lot of them"
So he brings out a box from the back, labeled mustang stage 3 hypo clutch RPS, and puts it side by side the clutch I PULLED OUT OF MY CAR MYSELF, and everything is identical except for mine is painted blue and says RPS.... I ask him how much? He says he rebuilds em, and he would grind my segmented flywheel for 50 bucks and give me the new clutch kit (throwout bearing, alignment tool, bearing that goes in the engine block, pressure plate, clutch disk) for 300$.

So basically for 350$ I got a brand new clutch that holds 500 hp supposely. The guy I got the transmission from had a SUpercharged LS1 and drove the clutch for about a year and a half, and i've had it for about 8 months. So the clutch lasted a S/C transam and my stock T/A 2 years. I did plently of 3-4k clutch dumps on it too.

He told me next time I change my clutch I will have to change the pucks out on the flywheel, because I wont be able to grind them down anymore, but thats only 85$ + 30 to balance it..

Anyways here's the pictures

Heres the car jacked up from the side

The rear

Another side shot

Segmented flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disk.

Clutch

Pressure plate

Segmented flywheel

So anyways, If anyone wants one of these clutches for roughly 300 bucks let me know, if you want the lightweight flywheel like the one I have it's roughly another 250$ brand new.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm.......sounds like a good deal for a clutch that will hold 500hp!!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious....But how does Rob tie into this? Or are you just mentioning him to state that the clutches are good? For a minute I thought this was going to turn into another useless shop bash...
Old 04-21-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no no shop bash at all, just assuming if he's putting them into supercharged transams they must be good clutches ?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think there is a rob that runs RPS as well...... maybe you are confusing the two?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
i think there is a rob that runs RPS as well...... maybe you are confusing the two?
yea thats very possible too, you have any idea what's the deal w/ the mustang clutches and fbody ones being the same ? the mustang ones are much cheaper since they make so many more than they do ls1
Old 04-21-2008, 12:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i highly doubt its a mustang clutch IMO, the spline count is different on the disc, and i 90%sure the pressure plate is different as well. i used to have a full friction RPS in my gto..... personally it drived like total ****, but it griped like a son of a bitch
Old 04-21-2008, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

good to know,
Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
i highly doubt its a mustang clutch IMO, the spline count is different on the disc, and i 90%sure the pressure plate is different as well. i used to have a full friction RPS in my gto..... personally it drived like total ****, but it griped like a son of a bitch
yea not sure if I misunderstood the guy or what ? It's not a carbon carbon clutch obviously, just the normal turbo clutch, I haven't broken it in so I havent gotten on it obviously, the guy told me 500 easy/normal miles no launching hard.

But right off the pedal car wants to just jump hard not to ride the clutch almost - lol, ive been on a bare clutch for so long that I forgot how to drive hahaha, never rode on a stock clutch so not sure if it drives like **** or not - but im happy for 300$
Old 04-21-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont most all clutches look the same. . ?? its the spline count pp and fly wheel bolt pattern that changes. . but i do know that 03-04 cobras use the t56 so i donno... .
Old 08-11-2008, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

interesting
Old 08-11-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so far so good, been a couple months and a couple track passes (about 4) and its holding up... i was launching it at around 3k most of the time and hardest I launched was about 4k (but i let off) dont want to break the rear w/ 4.10s ! lol
Old 08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Holy back from the dead batman !,

Wasup Eddie ?, get your *** outta the house once, some day, BIOTCH !
Old 08-11-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Id love to man.. poor baby hasnt seen more than 1-2 days of driving since I moved into my pad... between painting, plumbing, moving, riding bicycle and **** i have had no time! And no money either ! I got tickets to the colts/charger game though

We need to make a damn football meet ! and tailgate with our cars (and you bring your super duper truck/grill ************ grillanator
Old 08-11-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll be at the colts game as well. I can bring the monsta truck with all the chairs, shade tents and grills....

Have you seen the 2500 HD yet ? I forget which one I brought to PETCO.