Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions/Experience w/More Performance re: LS1 Shortblocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions/Experience w/More Performance re: LS1 Shortblocks?

Anyone have direct experience with More Performance and their engines/shortblocks/rotating assemblies?

I'm highly considering them to build my forged motor for my FI setup.
I'm very picky and the only other vendor I'd consider would be MTI.

Would like to focus the thread on experience opinions on just More Performance in NC.

Thx!
Old 08-03-2003, 01:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Opinions/Experience w/More Performance re: LS1 Shortblocks?

They're in the process of rebuilding my 427. I don't have it back but More comes highly recommended by the guys at www.acdyno.com
Old 08-03-2003, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks!

Who originally built the 427?
Reason for rebuild?
Old 08-03-2003, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

How about opinions/experiences with their cam selection software featured in GMHTP?
Old 08-03-2003, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I've bought a few small items like !CAGS, Hotchkiss STB, Hypertech 160 stat from MORE since they are very close by ~15 minutes away.

I ordered a Pro 5.0 from MORE. The next day the sales rep...I'll call him 4.10...more on him later...called back and said a Pro 5.0 wouldn't fit in my car. I needed a B&M ripper which they had in stock. I told him wanted the 5.0, he told me with the 5.0 shifter I'd be hitting the radio or the console with every 1,3,5,R shift he recommended the B & M. I said my chances with the 5.0 because I knew others that had the 5.0 and didn't have a problem with it. He insisted I was wrong and would only sale me a B & M or I could go else where. I went elsewhere and called up LS1MotorSports and ordered a 5.0 BTW I've never hit the radio or the console with my 5.0 in almost 3 years of using it.

Friend of mine stopped by MORE to buy a Hotchkis STB for his Firehawk. Mike wasn't there so some of the other folks tried to help. Took them ~45 minutes to figure out if they had a STB. They took my friends order insisted they would call him when it came in. They never called and several months later he purchased his STB elsewhere.

Later, I wanted a ported TB contact or maybe gears so I contacted MORE. The "sales" guy responded and was told me ported TB were a waste of time and contact them when I'd saved up enough money to do a worthwhile mod like a cam. He also stated it was not possible to put 4.10 gears in a 10-bolt because the 4.10 gear would not physically fit.

When I decided to get headers either Grott's or Hookers I contact MORE. They were one of the very few vendors able to get Grott's and often had Grott's in stock. I ended up talking with the 4.10 sales rep and asked him what a set of Grott's would cost. He said he didn't know because they didn't have them in stock. (I'm sure Roger G. was a real jerk to deal with.) I asked him to give me a price quote when he could because I was either going with Grott's or Hookers. I didn't order anything because I didn't know what the price would be. Couple of weeks go by and no one calls back. I give up and order Hookers from Jet-Hot. Few days later sales rep from MORE calls tells me the Grott's I ordered are in!!! I'm stunned because all I asked for was a quote, I never ordered the Grott's because the price was unknown. I end up talking to Mike and explain what occured. I can tell he's annoyed when I tell no one followed up and ever gave me a price quote. I would have went with the Grott's over the Hookers if anyone would have told me the price or called back etc.

When I decide to do heads and cam, I talk with Mike and almost go with a MORE heads and cam package but the prices are a little to high for my budget. I know they have excellent cylinder heads etc. I order my ATI dampener from MORE via Mike and get part in a very timely manner.

Later, I'm told by friends the sales rep that said 4.10's won't fit in 10-bolt is gone. Apparently he told a lot of folks that one.

Dealing with Mike Osucha directly the experience with MORE was excellent.

If I was doing a engine project, I'd be sure and talk directly with Mike, not a sales rep etc based on my experiences with MORE. Mike seems excellent and fair to deal with, deal with him otherwise communication issues may occur.

I'm careful about engine work. My heads and cam package was installed by SRP. SRP did an outstanding job just as professional as the best like MTI & LPE. I would happily ask SRP to do the entire engine next time around.

One last comment, at a local F-body gathering, I had a detailed discussion with a woman that had a MORE heads and cam package installed on her LS1 T/A. She complained the car didn't run right and said she personally, pulled the LS6 intake off of the car and reinstalled it. End of problem. She claimed MORE hadn't got the intake on properly and it had a vacuum leak.

Old 08-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

I warn you about spending your money at More Performance.

I spun a bearing in my 96' Collector Edition Corvette last year and needed a rebuild. I searched around for months to find the absolute best engine builder in the area. I finally decided that it was More Performance, and trailered the car 9 hours to their shop in Charlotte.
Upon first glimpse of the place, I was very impressed with both the people working there, and the shop itself.
I told them that I wanted a simple engine rebuild to get me going again, with the addition of the mildest cam they offered. I did everything they suggested to make the car bulletproof so this wouldnt happen again (I was always VERY easy on the engine). Total bill came out just over $6,000. I was concerned that they WOULD NOT offer a warranty for their work, but was told that "even so, they would take care of me should something happen" and that "they stand by their work".
I picked up the car a month and a half later. I drove the car 6,000 miles when I threw a rod traveling down the highway! Knowing that they would take care of me as promised, I politely gave Mike Osucha a ring who had the audacity to ask me "what do you want me to do about it". I said that "I'd like him to fix it". Something is wrong when an engine blows after 6,000 miles. That engine cost me a dollar a mile when you look at it. He refused to take any responsibility for the engine's failure, and furthermore showed no sympathy whatsoever. The employee who said they would back their work is ironically no longer with More. He quit a few months after (along with a few other employees).

I have a friend who spent big bucks for a 422ci from MTI for the same thing to happen to him- his engine blew on the trip back to Texas. Jason at MTI did everything in his power to deal with the problem quickly, and efficiently. Jason had the car trailered back to Texas (at MTI's expense) and pushed aside a current project to build another bottom end for my friend's vette. Jason sticks by his work, and that is one of the major reasons MTI is where they are now.

Bottom line- I wouldn't spend a dime with a company who does'nt stand by their work. Furthermore, I wouldnt spend a dime with a company who has no code of ethics. More showed me that they have neither.

Trust me. Go with MTI!!
Old 08-03-2003, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like MTI is the one to me. More Perf doesn't pop up very much online. Sounds like they have a good owner and everyone else is an idiot.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:38 PM
FormerVendor

I wouldnt count out Futral Motorsports either. They build some badass motors. Allan Futral has been building engines since he was 16 yrs old and STILL does each engine PERSONALLY. Im glad I went with them and so are QUITE a few others I sent his way. Might wanna give him a call and atleast talk to him before making up your mind.

As for More, I called them when building my motor, told him it would be cool for them to do it since Im in NC twice a week. then asked him for a price quote, he told me to stop by sometime and he would give me an idea of what it would cost. I asked again for an estimate to be emailed to me and he refused. I then called FMS and put down 3k to start my motor. Havent looked back since.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:09 AM
Launching!

Wow, and after reading their engine build up article in GMHTP, I was about to go to them for a new engine. Guess it's time to look somewhere else.
Rob
Old 08-05-2003, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm careful about engine work. My heads and cam package was installed by SRP. SRP did an outstanding job just as professional as the best like MTI & LPE. I would happily ask SRP to do the entire engine next time around.
A bit off-topic, but who is SRP? Are they in North Carolina? It would be great if More wasn't the only shop around, since their prices are incredibly high ($860 for a cam install?).

Josh
Old 08-05-2003, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Josh, Yes SRP is in North Carolina and SRP is very reasonable on installs. SRP's quality work is outstanding too.