Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Test: A must do!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lightbulb Clutch Test: A must do!!

Intro:

Well, after countless researching and personal exp from either myself or my friends in regards to clutch life, I have decided to post about this. Hopefully this will save some people time, money, and possibly a transmission or two.

Some of my buds have learned this though either clutch manufactures and/or trans rebuild companies.

Regardless of the type of clutch/flywheel combo, be it even if the fly was from same company or one that was cut for resurfacing. It needs to be dialed in.

My Exp:

In my situation, I have a stock t-56, 40k on it. 30 of them driven by a girl and has been raced a few times at a track. I have personally grinded a gear twice in the 10k Ive had it.

Well around 38-39k I had clutch slippage issues. The slave was messed up and I couldnt bleed it. I would get dead pedal after a hard run. I wrapped the line and tried to suck from the top with no avail.

So I decided to do a new slave/clutch set up. I went with a GM slave, and leave the stock master and NO drill mod (yet). Also a textralia Oz700 z grip with their flywheel.

The stock LS6 flywheel was pretty beat up, def hot spots showing it not disengaging. The tex feels GREAT!! But I noticed in high RPM shift situations it would take longer to shift, def needed a second to get into ANY gear.

The clutch test:

My bud had a issue where a trans rebuild company recommended doing this when he pulled his trans, showing a solid hotspot in one Area. He also fragged his 2nd gear syncho.

He learned that he needed to do a clutch test.

1) Basically get a flat surface where you cannot roll forward nor backwards.

2) Put the car into 1st gear while the clutch pedal is pressed all the way to the floor.

3) With the pedal still down, apply the throttle slowly, as it nears 5k the car will either pull forward or do nothing.

4) If it does nothing, the clutch is fully disengaged. IF it pulls even at the SLIGHTEST. Then the clutch is still partially engaged.

Conclusion:

The basically means even if your driving normal every shift is like a mini powershift and its putting wear if not out right damage on internals. not to mention its burning up the clutch.

The solution is an Adjustible clutch master cylinder. Ram sells a stock style with a rod you can adjust.

The same bud when he changed a Spec clutch w/ hotspot to a tex oz700 z grip (like mine) said there was an improvement, but still would move forward and be a lil slow on the shift. He got the adjustible and it fixed everything. Now he can speed shift and doesnt get peddle fade after a 1/4 run.

I am doing the same since I found out mine pulls the car forward. Ordered one yesterday. It will be a while before I post results since I am having a peice of my lung taken out uggghh. 4-6 week recovery time

But I would like other people's input on this.

I think this in some form (maybe not exactly my post) but something in a sticky form to show that people with Aftermarket clutches do need to make adjustments and just because it feels fine doesnt mean it is.....
Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I thought verifying clutch disengagement was just something everyone did after installing? I guess the occasional reminder to check the basics is a good thing.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by gametech
I thought verifying clutch disengagement was just something everyone did after installing? I guess the occasional reminder to check the basics is a good thing.

This is my 1st manual that hydraulic and honestly, the car drove but never thought it wasnt fully disengaging.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive had clutch issues. I have a new clutch centerforce and there fw. I am finally gettin a ram adj master cylinder and should be installed next week. I will post results. I did the car tranny test and yes, with clutch engadged and rpms to 5000, my car creeps forward. Hopefully the adj master will fix my clutch problems.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did that and got no movement but my clutch still slips like hell
Old 04-23-2008, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

am also going to try the adjustable master
Old 04-23-2008, 10:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should also add to check the air gap between the slave bearing and PP on install.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Good post...

I have seen a lot of posts on here about dragging clutches. Only problem is, most people don't know it's dragging. If it's hard to get into first or reverse, or if it rolls like mentioned above, it's most likely dragging. It will damage the trans if it's driven like this.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

well damn mine is hard to get into first and reverse but it doesnt take off slowly when i do the test
Old 04-24-2008, 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

The last thing you want is to drive while it is dragging. Every gear should have some level of notchiness, but never have difficulty getting into.

Can just picture at the track if it was dragging. Line up the beams, rev to 5k and the car creeps forward for a red light... lol...
Old 04-24-2008, 06:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i need to do this test.... i have a problem with a soft pedal after/during WOT but not normal driving... and it is a PITA to get into reverse..
Old 04-24-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder who told you to do this test, Aaron....

But seriously, guys, I think a sticky needs to be made and put at the TOP OF THE LIST in this Manual section that explains the purpose and procedure of this test, because it is most likely the cause of 80% of the issues people post about in this section, be it hard to get into gear, slow/hard shifts at high RPM, damaged transmissions, etc.

It is free, simple to do (absolutely anyone who can drive a manual car can do it), and it takes all of thirty seconds. There's no reason anyone with an M6 car shouldn't have already done this test.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

well mine doesnt pull forward but still slips like hell
Old 04-24-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

So since mine does this and I have yet to put in my new trans. It would be a good idea to get a new clutch setup. I already have the ram adjustable and it is maxed out on the adjustment.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car didn't creep slowly applying the throttle to 5k, only when u revved it fast to high RPMs.....was enough to damage my transmission in under a few thousand miles and a few track passes. This was with a Textralia clutch as well. Apparently the Tex clutches drag alot, too bad when i installed it they told me NOT to use an adjustable master....and I didn't find out that the clutch was dragging until it was too late.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

sounds like my situation man. i didnt realize it until i now have to get a new clutch.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
My car didn't creep slowly applying the throttle to 5k, only when u revved it fast to high RPMs.....was enough to damage my transmission in under a few thousand miles and a few track passes. This was with a Textralia clutch as well. Apparently the Tex clutches drag alot, too bad when i installed it they told me NOT to use an adjustable master....and I didn't find out that the clutch was dragging until it was too late.
i have felt your pain before
Old 04-24-2008, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

So I decided to go out and put my clutch to the test since i just recently installed my new trans/clutch setup. Everything went well, the car didn't move at 5000 RPMs, but my ABS INOP and ASR OFF lights both came on and won't go off. I tried disconnecting the neg. battery cable and pulling the PCM fuses with no luck. Go figure, I know this is the wrong forum but does anyone have any ideas why this would happen?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DTB_LS1
So I decided to go out and put my clutch to the test since i just recently installed my new trans/clutch setup. Everything went well, the car didn't move at 5000 RPMs, but my ABS INOP and ASR OFF lights both came on and won't go off. I tried disconnecting the neg. battery cable and pulling the PCM fuses with no luck. Go figure, I know this is the wrong forum but does anyone have any ideas why this would happen?
That happens to me once in a while. They usually go off after a few miles of driving, sometimes a little longer. It didn't start happening to me until after the line lock was installed, though.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Internet Mechanic

^^ Same here

Quick Reply: Clutch Test: A must do!!