General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

hatch wont pop only when keys in ignition???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hatch wont pop only when keys in ignition???

My hatch works fine with fab and fine with the button under tha dash as long as the key is NOT in the ignition or on. I didn't read anyone else's car doing this. my 2002 camaro worked perfect but my 2002 trans am ws6 isn't. I havent tried putting the key in and trying but that shouldnt have anything to do with it since it works fine with the fab and as long as the cars not running. i picked my mom up from work, she had a bag of groceries i hit the button and nothing happened hit again and again and again nothing, turned the car off pulled the key out and hit the button under the dash one more time and pop. any ideas? it's not a major problem for me because it still pops just not while its running. seemed weird to me so i figured id see if anyone else has had this problem. car is bone stock besides optima red top and sirius radio.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

I think if the car is running you have to either have the door open or have the E brake lever pulled.

There are a few restrictions to the button working, you will have to do a search to find out exactly what all conditions disable it. I think there are three factors or combination(s) thereof.

It's designed like this to keep you from accidentaly opening the hatch with your knee or by another means while your driving.

I do know my door position sensor went bad on the DS door and until I fixed it, the little yellow button didn't work right because the car didn't know when the door was open.

BTW -mines an O2 T/A.

Last edited by Weezzer; 04-25-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks i thought it might be something along those lines but wasnt sure. i guess i'll just have to try a couple different things when i'm done work, i just got bored at work and remembered it doing that to me last night so i figured id see if anyone else knew anything. I thought it was awkward because my camaro used to pop all the time with the button. thanks again i'll just try a couple different combinations of things.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Autos have to be in park and M6 has to have emergency brake on.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is exactly the same. Doesn't work with the ebrake up either. The key has to be out.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure that on my 99 the door has to be open. I am not sure if thats with the keys in or not but my guess is in the ignition.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright thanks everyone i just thought something might be broke lol.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

(Sure this is the way manuals are set up - now sure for autos.) Try tinkering with the switch on the e-brake. Its easy to get to and manipulate once you have the console off.