Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

KYB AGX Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB AGX Problem

I just had the dealer install the KYB AGX socks and struts. After getting them installed I have noticed a knocking noise that sounds like a loose bolt when going over bumps or uneven roads. I took it back to the dealer and they said the sound is coming from inside the right front strut. They said they used the chasis ears to find it. They also check the bolt and there all tight. Has anyone else had this problem? Its hard to believe that new struts would defective. Or maybe it was misdiagnosed?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the nut on the shock shaft? That's inside the upper shock mount and the dealer wouldn't be able to check it without at least pulling the shock assembly off the car. I am betting that's what it is. It's happened to me before.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

How hard would that be to do myself?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Teching In

you know, i put kyb agx's on my 96 z28 a couple months back and have found a similar noise, although I think mines coming from behind. Good thing I work for KYB and pay nothing for these as their as close to KOni's as 100 bux can get !
Old 05-08-2008, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NJ96Z28
you know, i put kyb agx's on my 96 z28 a couple months back and have found a similar noise, although I think mines coming from behind. Good thing I work for KYB and pay nothing for these as their as close to KOni's as 100 bux can get !
I though that mine was coming from the rear too. But the dealer insist that its coming from the front. Im goin to inspect it myself this weekend.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Teching In

whats the car, and what other suspension/chassis upgrades/aftermarket prods. have you installed? I also removed the rear coil insulator ( not isolator) which caused my rear set to squeak like hell, so i went into stock and pulled a couple and threw em back on during lunch yesterday.No more squeaking, also, no more rattling from the rear. I was reading a tech update here at work regarding the AGX's, you may want to try replacing the mounting hardware that is packaged with the mounts. depending on your application the nuts and or mount itself could be faulty.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NJ96Z28
whats the car, and what other suspension/chassis upgrades/aftermarket prods. have you installed? I also removed the rear coil insulator ( not isolator) which caused my rear set to squeak like hell, so i went into stock and pulled a couple and threw em back on during lunch yesterday.No more squeaking, also, no more rattling from the rear. I was reading a tech update here at work regarding the AGX's, you may want to try replacing the mounting hardware that is packaged with the mounts. depending on your application the nuts and or mount itself could be faulty.
I have a 02 Formula. All stock suspension except for the KYB AGX.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSX Performance
I have a 02 Formula. All stock suspension except for the KYB AGX.
It's probably a spun mounting nut or something similar, alot of the hardware kits that get packaged are crapola. Just pull them off ( no easy task , I know) Check all your threads and find out what supplier your dealer used if tey replaced anything. By anything I mean strut mount, upper and lower seats, bearings, spacers, etc. If its moog,dana,kyb,gabriel,affinia or carquest .... it came out of my job. All our suppliers , and I mean all are in Turkey , Pakistan and India. We have 2 in China as well. ALso, As a pre warning , KYB has a new product line coming out soon called a strut plus assembly, a loaded strut assembly! This is what I do all day.... DO NOT BUY ! its old stock being adapted to new applications.

Quick Reply: KYB AGX Problem