Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Subframe Connectors for 2002 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Subframe Connectors for 2002 Camaro

I have been wondering if subframe connectors are a good addition to a fairly stock 2002 SS Camaro LE. This car is a daily driver and I would like to slowly upgrade the car to improve overall handling and performance. I'm planning on putting them in my '69 Camaro...and was thinking it might be a good addition to the 2002 as well. Everything is stock in the suspension right now.

Also, should I go with weld in connectors or bolt in? My buddy has weld ins in his '70 Dodge Challenger and went with those because they don't come lose while he claims that the bolt in connectors can loosen over time. The thought of perminately attaching them to my car doesn't worry me too much...although it is somewhat of a collector car. So, I'm not really sure which one's to go with.

Can someone also recommend a good brand or place to purchase them. I was looking on summitt...but I wanted to check around some more.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Subframes will be a great addition to the car, stock or not. I suggest getting them welded. You can buy the bolt in but eventually you will want to get them welded. Metal is metal, so brands shouldn't be a big concern.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out UMI performance for subframe connectors. They are a sponser ======>>
Old 05-10-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroDMD
I have been wondering if subframe connectors are a good addition to a fairly stock 2002 SS Camaro LE. This car is a daily driver and I would like to slowly upgrade the car to improve overall handling and performance. I'm planning on putting them in my '69 Camaro...and was thinking it might be a good addition to the 2002 as well. Everything is stock in the suspension right now.

Also, should I go with weld in connectors or bolt in? My buddy has weld ins in his '70 Dodge Challenger and went with those because they don't come lose while he claims that the bolt in connectors can loosen over time. The thought of perminately attaching them to my car doesn't worry me too much...although it is somewhat of a collector car. So, I'm not really sure which one's to go with.

Can someone also recommend a good brand or place to purchase them. I was looking on summitt...but I wanted to check around some more.
Most cannot tell the difference with SFCs, and the ones that can claim a harsher ride, and hardly noticeable difference in handling.
If you are interested in making the car handle/feel/drive better attack the problem at the source: bad factory shocks.
Too much compression in the rear + not enough rebound all around = floaty, loose handling with snap oversteer.
Solution: Koni shocks. Do a search, these are the best mod you can do to these cars IMO. It makes the car feel like an olympic gymnast, and makes stock feel like an old boat in comparison. You won't believe GM put such shitty shock on these in the first place.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:00 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

^Amen brother!
Old 05-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

They're great for jacking up your car. But most guys don't buy them for that. If you want to increase your ride harshness, get them.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

my car has a huge "torque dimple" running down the passage side quarter panel. It had been small, but following the 12 bolt, it has grown. After I get my SFC installed, I am doing paintless dent repair.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ditto the jack points, also ended up welding the torque arm cross brace to to one of the plates.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

We offer a bolt and weld in designs. Please take a look at the link below and if you have any questions please ask. Thank you!

http://www.umiperformance.com/produc...ategory_id=129

Thank you!

Ryan
Old 05-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
my car has a huge "torque dimple" running down the passage side quarter panel. It had been small, but following the 12 bolt, it has grown. After I get my SFC installed, I am doing paintless dent repair.
I had the same and that's what I did. UMI 2-points and had it PDR'd and it hasn't come back. I wouldn't have SFC's but for launching at the track. Too much negative effect on ride.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Teching In

i dont mind mine at all. They were on the car when i bought it, but its still a nice ride. And i also love the fact that it makes for a great lifting point for the jack too hehe.

Dave
Old 05-11-2008, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

i have the slp bolt in sfc and i think it made the car feel more solid! But i would have to say it made me realize how lame the stock suspenion is now i want to do the rest.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

The chassis on the 4th gen isn't as weak as other cars that have the subframes available. Subframe connectors aren't going to do much to the suspension. Shocks are an obvious weak point if you've noticed by searching. For a daily, that would be a great first modification.

That 2002 SS should be pretty good for handling really. I wish I owned one of those. I think it's got a 32mm front bar... right?

Subframe connectors make awesome jack points. They add a bit of weight to the car. If you ever wanted to make the car into a 10 second drag car then they will assist a little bit in resisting twisting
Old 05-11-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the UMI SFC's they fit awesome and you really feel the difference.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the rest of the suspension is stock I would look to upgrade the shocks first. Subframe connectors are great for a drag orientated car but are not a necessity for a daily driver IMO....
Old 05-12-2008, 01:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Breathtaker
I have the UMI SFC's they fit awesome and you really feel the difference.
Great to hear
Old 05-12-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in the same boat as you, with currently stock suspension on my 01 WS6. From the research I've done, I'm going to do shocks first, then probably sway bars. Later will come things like SFCs, LCAs, and STB. Go with what will make the biggest difference first, which seems unanimously to be the shocks. Most of the guys around will tell you to get the Konis, but if you can't afford them, you also have KYB AGXs, Billsteins, or Tokicos for about 1/2 the price. If you've got the cash, though, go with the Koni.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Shocks first, period. Do confirm which you have, a small number of SSs got something other than DeCrapons. 99.99% chance, you got the orange POSs and should do shocks first. The sway bars are also a HUGE difference for handling and daily driving. Again, a small number of SLP cars got 35mm fronts, but most got 32mm units. 99.99% chance, go with Strano's bars and be amazed. As you can see, I have all the goodies, and my little ole HDs did as much for the car as everything else put together but actually made it more comfortable.
Konis
Strano bars
C5 brakes
and go from there...
Old 05-13-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

SFC's add to the structural rigidity of the vehicle. Two sub-frames connected by a floor pan? WTF was GM thinking? I didn't have them on my 87 or 94 Z28 but put them on my 99 and current 02 Z28 and it made a significant difference. Going over road irregularities & RR tracks the car feels more solid. Leaving a parking lot at an uneven angle doesn't twist the car. Straight line acceleration is aided too.
If you really want to see what they do, prior to installing them, jack up the front driver or passenger side front wheels and lift them as high as it takes before the rear wheels start to lift. Measure the height of the front wheel from the ground.
Install some good SFC's (I have BMR) and then do the same test. You will be shocked to see how little it takes to lift the rear tires off the gorund when jacking up the front! It's a solid addition to the chassis and should have been a part of the original GM design.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackBADaSS02
Check out UMI performance for subframe connectors. They are a sponser ======>>
Sorry to butt in w/ my 94 but just put UMI sfc's on and they are well worth the $$$

Quick Reply: Subframe Connectors for 2002 Camaro