Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick valve cover vent tube quetion

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Quick valve cover vent tube quetion

I've got my build back together but when I bought my powdercoated valve covers I didn't realize that they were without the vent tube that runs to the fresh air inlet on the Throttle body as well as the rear vent tube on the passenger side and the rear on on the drivers side as well. What do I do about this? Can I just buy the tube and put it in or what?

Here's a picture to help describe what I'm talking about....

Old 05-10-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to get the PCV system set up. To minimize the work to the valve covers, you could go with the LS6 valley cover, then you only need one inlet to the valve cover.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You need to get the PCV system set up. To minimize the work to the valve covers, you could go with the LS6 valley cover, then you only need one inlet to the valve cover.
I've already done the LS6 PCV conversion. So does that mean that I can run it the way it sits?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The can run with out plumbing the valve cover to the TB but you should plug he TB hole to prevent air from getting in through it.

You need to vent crankcase pressure some how. You dont need to shove it back into the engine. If you leave that the way it is it will drip and spew oil from the valve cover tube. You need to do something about it.

Any air getting into the intake not through the MAF is unmetered air, it effects the tune. You need to do a few things to correct yours.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would personally tap into the passenger side cover with a fitting and hook it back up to the TB. You can get a brass 90 degree fitting, drill through and fit it to the cover. Other option is a vented oil fill, but I don't like that option.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
The can run with out plumbing the valve cover to the TB but you should plug he TB hole to prevent air from getting in through it.

You need to vent crankcase pressure some how. You dont need to shove it back into the engine. If you leave that the way it is it will drip and spew oil from the valve cover tube. You need to do something about it.

Any air getting into the intake not through the MAF is unmetered air, it effects the tune. You need to do a few things to correct yours.
So how about if I just plug both holes on the valve covers as well as the hole for the fresh air pick up tube on the TB and then put a breather on the oil fill?

Will this solve my problems? I don't mind having the breather on the oil fill.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Banned

It will push a lot of gaseous gunk out of the breather.

Ideal is to vent both valve covers to a catch can and then to the intake. Revxtreme has a catch can with a built in pcv, at Nasty's we sell a vented catch can and dont run it back into the intake. Either work good. There is merit to the vacum draw to evacuate the harmul gasses and this is where the Revxtreme can is very nice. Our setup is more a race car application.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

It will push a lot of gaseous gunk out of the breather.

Ideal is to vent both valve covers to a catch can and then to the intake. Revxtreme has a catch can with a built in pcv, at Nasty's we sell a vented catch can and dont run it back into the intake. Either work good. There is merit to the vacum draw to evacuate the harmul gasses and this is where the Revxtreme can is very nice. Our setup is more a race car application.
Could you give me a quote on what I'll need? I have a catch can currently as well as the LS6 PCV conversion.

Thanks,
Drew
Old 05-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned

Well it looks like you got a catch can, are you wanting to go with a vented one? Not sure what your asking me for.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Well it looks like you got a catch can, are you wanting to go with a vented one? Not sure what your asking me for.
Well to be honest man, I don't really understand the whole PCV system and venting pressure. I know that I have three vent holes on my valve covers. One on the Drivers side and two on the Passengers side. I also know that I have a fresh air tube on my throttle body. I guess what I'm asking is how this all works and what I need to do do make it work correctly.

Thanks,
Drew
Old 05-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned

Here is a good example for you of a factory system.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Here is a good example for you of a factory system.

Ah, so since I am now venting pressure through the valley cover rather than the valve covers I can just run my breather on the oil fill cap and plug the three holes on my valve covers and one on the throttle body with no ill effects?

Is this correct? Sorry for being a PITA I'm just trying to figure this out.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Or actually, I wouldn't even need the breather would I? It would just do all of its venting through the tube on the valley cover right?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Banned

If you plug them all and use the valley cover vent you need the catch to attach to it and then vacum draw from the intake on the other side of the catch can. Make sure you plug any open line to the intake... like that open TB line you have. The other line will be your vacum. Get the pvc in between it as well.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

If you plug them all and use the valley cover vent you need the catch to attach to it and then vacum draw from the intake on the other side of the catch can. Make sure you plug any open line to the intake... like that open TB line you have. The other line will be your vacum. Get the pvc in between it as well.
Cool man, thanks. That's how I have it set up now. I'm using the vent tube from the valley cover, into the catch can and then into the TB. I'll just block off the other holes in the valve covers as well as the fresh air tube on the TB and call it a day.

Thanks for all the help man! I appreciate it.

Drew
Old 05-12-2008, 05:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its a closed loop system. The one in the photo draws clean air in from the TB and through the motor internals where it is drawn into the intake to be burned.

Your LS6 valley cover only replaces the dirty tubes from each valve cover and the PCV valve which meters flow, you still need a clean air source or you will be pressurizing the internals of the motor, which is bad. You need to ensure that the blow-by is purging correctly.

Best way to do this is to put a tube from the passenger side valve cover to the TB, as shown above in red as you have only replaced the blue/gold tubes of the system with your LS6 valley cover.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Its a closed loop system. The one in the photo draws clean air in from the TB and through the motor internals where it is drawn into the intake to be burned.

Your LS6 valley cover only replaces the dirty tubes from each valve cover and the PCV valve which meters flow, you still need a clean air source or you will be pressurizing the internals of the motor, which is bad. You need to ensure that the blow-by is purging correctly.

Best way to do this is to put a tube from the passenger side valve cover to the TB, as shown above in red as you have only replaced the blue/gold tubes of the system with your LS6 valley cover.
Okay, well then back to my original problem... How will I draw air from that hole with no tube?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Okay, well then back to my original problem... How will I draw air from that hole with no tube?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...+revxtreme+pcv

This should show you every thing you need. You must draw vacuum to flush the crankcase out & you must have a PCV valve to control it.

We sell the oil fill cap with integrated breather filter for $19 plus S&H if you need.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...+revxtreme+pcv

This should show you every thing you need. You must draw vacuum to flush the crankcase out & you must have a PCV valve to control it.

We sell the oil fill cap with integrated breather filter for $19 plus S&H if you need.
Thanks a lot man! I appreciate it. I will be calling you tomorrow if that's okay. Who should I ask for?

Last edited by 98RedBird; 05-13-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Thanks a lot man! I appreciate it. I will be calling you tomorrow if that's okay. Who should I ask for?
Just to order whoever answers is fine....for tech help ask for Tracy.