Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ticking sound coming from left front tire.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking sound coming from left front tire.

Ok, this might be my brakes...or it might not be.

The reason I think it is the brakes is because that is the last thing I changed, but things can go wrong whenever they feel like it. About 2 weeks ago I changed my out my pads and rotors. I used ATE PremiumOne Brake rotors with Hawk HPS brake pads.

Install went great with the only thing wrong being that my left front squealed a bit when driving normally; however, this went away after a couple days. Well, yesterday I was driving to work with the windows down and heard a somewhat loud ticking sound from the left front wheel.

Here is a semi-detailed description of the ticking:

Accelerating and constant driving produces a quick "tick tick tick tick" with a stutter here and there while also stopping occasionally.

When I brake the sound slows with the car.

When I got to work I looked at everything and tried to move the rotor, caliper, pads, and chatter plate to see if anything was loose, but nothing seemed out of place. I drove home later with the same situation. This morning I took off my wheel to get a more unobstructed view of everything. I searched a couple posts on here that mentioned odd sounds coming from wheels/brakes and got the idea to try some brake quieting stuff. I took off the pads and chatter plates and cleaned them with brake part cleaner and sprayed the back of the pads with disc quiet as well as spraying the chatter plates. I let them dry then reassembled everything.

Well, it still ticks. The rotor looks just like the other side with no visible scratches, spots, etc. Also, I have not done any crazy braking since I installed the parts and I made sure to break in the parts according to the manufacturer specs.

Suggestions?
Old 05-12-2008, 05:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there a rock or something stuck in the tire? dumb question but it happens
Old 05-12-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

yeah probably a nail in the tire happens all time if not take off ur tire and check to see if there is a rock or so stuck between the rotor and dust shield. if nothing there then check all other possibilities.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Nope, no nail. Also, I do not use dust shields.

Went to a friends house this morning and it was raining so the window was up. Well, i could still hear the sound. Definitely coming from the wheel area and it is definitely outside.

Here is the wierd part. I just got home, and the whole way home I did not hear the noise once. Maybe it is gone....maybe not....I will update if the sound comes back.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wheel bearings?
Old 05-12-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Did you apply lubricant to the metal shims when you changed your brakes?

This was happening with my car, but the noise was coming from the rear drivers side brakes. I removed the brakes and applied hi-temp bearing grease to the metal shims. Drove the car yesterday and today and NO MORE ticks/squeaks!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Teching In

ok. Update. Not so good one either.

Ok, so after i posted the last update I went to the gym. On my way home I was making a turn from a stop sign when I hear this grinding like noise, but I do not feel any vibrations. So, I immediately pull over and get out to check the status of my brakes. Everything looks great and nothing is loose or out of place.

Well, I continue on my way home so I could get it jacked up and make a more detailed analysis. On the way there I experience more new sensations. It sounded like I was dragging something on the ground, but the sound only came about when i was slowing down from about 25 mph. Any speed above that I still hear a sound, but it sounds like something is rotating at a high speed. Both of these sounds seem to come from behind the pedals and not so much the wheel well like that ticking sound (which is still there btw).

When I got home I looked under the front of the car and could not find anything that seemed out of place, comparing the left side to the right. However, I gotta admit that I probably would not notice something if it is something minor that only a mechanic would know.

So, now i am freaking out. I mean, I have not noticed any decrease in performance, just a bunch of really bad sounds. I think I might just schedule an appointment at the dealership.

Btw, want pics? I am sure I could get some detailed pics of needed.

Edit: I did not put lube on the shims...I thought the shims were the little thin metal chatter plates that i had sprayed with the tacky disc quiet. Am I wrong?

Last edited by Das Korvin; 05-12-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like a bad hub to me. Check it out when you take it back apart tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Going to check for the hub and bearing tomorrow. Just try to wiggle the wheel while the car is jacked right?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I put a screwdriver to my ear and spun the hub and could hear the same ticking sound I was looking for. The hub was solid when I tried to wiggle it.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you take the wheel, brakes, and rotor off, you can spin the hub in your hand and feel for clicking. When my bearings went bad (they only lasted 75K) it felt and sounded like a meat grinder.

If you get the sound with everything on, the screwdriver method from _JB_ is probably going to be a easier method and a better way to spend your time!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Teching In

I tried wiggling the wheel and got no play. I then took the tire off and tried the screwdriver thing and did not hear anything. I then spun the whole thing slowly and listened for and felt for a clicking sound/feeling.

Nothing. I took the other wheel off the other side and compared everything and they seem identical with nothing out of place. However, as I said I do not have much experience at this.

Here are some pics I took...ofcourse if it is something internal this won't help much. From here my only real avenue is to take it to dealership where I bought it and take advantage of their "If it is covered under our oh-so-expansive warranty you only pay $50" plan.

Sigh.
Attached Thumbnails Ticking sound coming from left front tire.-pict0018.jpg   Ticking sound coming from left front tire.-pict0019.jpg   Ticking sound coming from left front tire.-pict0020.jpg   Ticking sound coming from left front tire.-pict0021.jpg   Ticking sound coming from left front tire.-pict0022.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ticking sound coming from left front tire.