Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What heads for 236/236 .651/.651 110+4 cam and victor jr carbed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What heads for 236/236 .651/.651 110+4 cam and victor jr carbed?

I got the motor started and shortlbock is good, cam clears for now. Everything seems to be in great condition (i was worried since engine had damaged oi pan when i got it) so now i'm ready to select some heads. I am very particular to the cam i have in there now as it sounds extremely nasty and i feel it will work well with my carbed setup plus give some "old school muscle sound" to my 1st gen.

Anyway here is my setup. I do plan on flycutting when i go to install the heads so i'm not concerned with milling PTVC. I woud like to keep the same pushrods as i just bought them 7.450 if at all possible.

chasis
1968 Firebird, aprrx 2800-2900lb
74 nova posi rear, 4,56 richmonds
moroso inboard shock mount
summit adjustable shocks
lakewood traction bars
Moroso SFCs
2002 D&D 30 splined t56, steel forks cabon blockers
RAM clutch/flywheel.
manual steering box

engine
2001 LS1, 241 heads
236/236 .651/.651 110+4lsa
victor jr carbureted intake
msd 6010 programmable box
2001 truck coils
moroso 7qt oil pan
remote mount oil filter
holley 750 4150 vac sondary , 6.5pv, #72 primary, #76 secondary
hooker ceramic long tubes
lpe high volume oil pump
alternater and water pump only accessories

The car will be setup basically for drag racing but i plan to drive it on the street often. Driveable to me is being able able to stop and go so i'm not really concerned with driveability at all.

I have read alot of threads on here about heads but there is very little information on heads used with the Victor JR intake which, from what i understand, is a short runner intake. And there is even less information about heads for a carbureted LS1. Any ideas guys? I was thinking some 5.3s because they have short runners and bump my compression up.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still like the AFR 205's for something like this. The smaller runner will help keep torque up down low with that intake, and still flow better than most people can get a 5.3 head to flow. They also have a good I/E flow ratio, which will work better with your symetrical cam. You wouldn't want to run heads with weak exhaust flow. You might want to ask about their small bore 225's also if it's just for drag racing.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

And those will flow enough for my goals? The 205s? Im trying for 10s all motor in a <2900lb drag setup car. I was thinking i might get close cam only.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can definately do some milling & thinner gaskets to help bump compression in the search for some extra power. We've been running a lot of the PRC Stage 2.5 5.3l heads milled to 59cc chambers for customers looking for 45+rwhp power gains. What kind of power do you currently make?

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=84&catid=40
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I would recommend TEA 243 castings, 2.055/1.57 valves. Why, because of TEAs renown additional exhaust flow over other heads and your cam being a no split (same intake/exhaust duration cam) cam it will benefit from that.
flycut and head mill to extract every bit of juice and optimize SCR/DCR
Old 05-13-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure what power i make right now as i havent gotten my driveshaft made yet haha. I was thinking it best to swap out heads before i gt the driveshaft in because otherwise i know im going to run the hell out of it and i have no idea what my PTVC is right now.

I was looking at the patriot 2.5 5.3Ls which seemed pretty good, TSPs site wouldnt work for me when i was trying to look at it. I just looked up TEAs they are a little more than i'd like to spend. I'm sure they'd make great power but i'm looking more for the $1500 or less heads haha. I know i'm cheap. I'm 21 so a budget head is more in my price range as this project has pretty much tapped me out since i started it in November.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

No one else has any similar setups? Ive planned on going with heads with a 59cc or such combustion chamber. Will that be too much compression for 93 octane?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why is it so many folks want to fit heads to an existing cam they either own or are in love with? To me that is like owing a nice hat and finding a human head that will fit into it. It doesn't do much for my personal "combination."

Guys, you fit the cam to the engine/vehicle combination, not the other way around. In most cases heads, especially well ported ones, cost a lot more than a cam. Well, if your heads cost less than a $400 cam, does any of this even matter?

Call up a reputable head porter and ask him to port heads to fit the cam you have. Most of them will not be willing to help you unless it happens to be a cam they recommend and/or sell. When you hang up, they will probably shake their head and LOL.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a cam guy who didn't recommend you fit the cam to the engine/vehicle combination. He's leaving ponies on the table with your money if he does.
Single plane intakes absolutely need different valve events from LS "folded hands" intakes if you want them to make power.

My (absolutely never humble) opinion.

Jon

Last edited by Old SStroker; 05-26-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

I paid $200 for my 2000 LS1 long block. I put a $300 cam in it while i had the engine apart in my dining room. Had no idea if the engine worked. It runs great now that i have it started and the cam sounds rediculous. swapping heads would probably take me all of 2-3 hours since im carbed and swapping a cam would take me about 6-8 hours now that it's in the car where as it took me an extra 45 minutes to install it while i had my engine apart.

My cam is semi-unique. I know what power all of the off the shelf cams will make. They work well on EFI cars. There really are NOT any good threads about carbed setups. At all. I wanted something with a tight lsa because of my short intake runners on the manifold, high lift, and a medium sized duration. I really think this cam will work great for my carb setup.

I am curious in selecting heads to my cam because i already selected my cam after reading and reading and reading and it's what I want. I actually got it off of another member here who happened to be selling it at the time i was looking for my cam. I was going to have it ground similarly, maybe with a lil more exhaust but thats it.

Base on my cam lift, .650, LSK lobes, the carburetion, and a 7,000rpm red line i was looking to select heads for the cam i already am running. There really isnt alot of info for carb setups on here at all.