Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with cam install in north carolina

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation help with cam install in north carolina

Hey guys, i just ordered my vrx3 cam from vengeance and was looking to get it installed in the next couple weeks, i was quoted 550 bucks! for the cam swap at RPM in garner north carolina, and i was wondering if anyone in the area here has done a cam swap or two before and are pretty proficient at it and have the tools needed, i'd be willing to pay a couple hundred bucks as long as i can save a couple hundred bucks its worth it, i'll even pay for the beer! 550 bucks seems like a lot to me and id rather pay someone on here who has a couple cam swaps under theyre belt. anyone interested?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

550 IMO seems right in line with what most other shops would charge (at least local to me). Ever consider trying it yourself? It's not too bad, and is somewhat enjoyable. Free beer huh... try posting in the regional forums.

-J
Old 05-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I offer a cam tool swap rental package for the do it your selfers and can walk you through it. There are plenty of write ups as well with pictures to assist. $550 isn't a bad price at al to pay someonel. It will cost you $50 with shipping for my tool rental. Its not that hard to do, just a little time consuming. 1 day or weekend job if you've never done it.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Teching In

whats up man, check out rwhp.us if your not already on it, its a local forum out of jacksonville, someone on there will be able to help you out
Old 05-14-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used ls1howto.com's write up. For the most part I followed it word for word. There were a few things I did different. This was my first cam install and it was straight forward. It took me a week, but I was pecking at it a little each night and was not in a hurry.

Its worth the experience to do it yourself if you have the means. There's only one way to learn!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

+1 on the above and 99blanco's suggestion... I rented his tools and the crane tool is worth the 50 bucks alone, trust me. Apparently he includes a pulley puller and installer now too. Saves you ANY trips ANYWHERE to rent stuff. If you don't have to push yourself to finish it for monday morning's commute to work, I would suggest going for it. Take your time, ls1howto.com is a damn Bible for this thing, and if nothing else just post up on the forums, thousands of others have done this with success. Good luck.

-J
Old 05-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, im thinking of doing it myself, im just afraid of messing my car up. lol i work on marine helicopters but im afraid to swap out a cam lol but im going to see if anyone on rwhp.us can help out like davidz28guy suggested if not i'll dive into it myself, even if the car sits their all week, i can rocket to work. i know 550 is a good price to pay but 550 is still 550 ya know, anyways thatnks for the words of encouragement, hope everything works out.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:42 PM
9 Second Club

its a little hard to do, to be honest but, ls1howto does help ALOT, they rele dont miss any steps. Just be safe with holding up the lifters and if you change the springs have a magnet around to hold the keepers when u take them off of the valves. USE the crane spring compressor tool its like god. use 5/16 lubed dowls for the lifters, and.. idk i think your set with that. OH yhea, and buy the ARP crank bolt thats longer than stock, trust me its the best 27 dollars I spent to save a hhhhhhuge hedache
Old 05-14-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mite53
yeah, im thinking of doing it myself, im just afraid of messing my car up. lol i work on marine helicopters but im afraid to swap out a cam lol but im going to see if anyone on rwhp.us can help out like davidz28guy suggested if not i'll dive into it myself, even if the car sits their all week, i can rocket to work. i know 550 is a good price to pay but 550 is still 550 ya know, anyways thatnks for the words of encouragement, hope everything works out.
Well at least you have some mechanical knowledge. And like stated, don't take shortcuts, and LS1howto is the damned Rosetta Stone. Say no to the russian roullette method and pen magnets and yes to oiled up dowels to hold up the lifters (but don't break 'em hahaha). Cleanliness is key, double and triple check everything. If you're unsure, post a pic (I had a couple threads and about 20 PMs asking if my crank/cam gear dots were lined up... yea I couldn't even decide for myself if they were ). First start up after it's all over is pretty nerve racking but worth it once the idle settles in

-J
Old 05-14-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lastcall190
+1 on the above and 99blanco's suggestion... I rented his tools and the crane tool is worth the 50 bucks alone, trust me. Apparently he includes a pulley puller and installer now too. Saves you ANY trips ANYWHERE to rent stuff. If you don't have to push yourself to finish it for monday morning's commute to work, I would suggest going for it. Take your time, ls1howto.com is a damn Bible for this thing, and if nothing else just post up on the forums, thousands of others have done this with success. Good luck.

-J
I agree 100% with you. The Crane tool for removing the valve springs is absolutely amazing... it's expensive to purchase but worth it if you're doing a lot of valve spring swaps on these cars. Renting it is even better. I will be keeping 99blanco in mind when I go to do my eventual cam swap.

Originally Posted by Dragkid1917
OH yhea, and buy the ARP crank bolt thats longer than stock, trust me its the best 27 dollars I spent to save a hhhhhhuge hedache
Holy ****. $27 for a longer crank bolt? You got shafted. Just go to your local Sears Hardware or a specialty fastener shop and pick one up. We paid less than $2 out the door for one at Sears Hardware for the last cam install I did.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't find someone let me know. Also when are you wanting to have this finished?

I shot you a PM with my number also
Old 05-14-2008, 06:16 PM

Post in the local forum. You will find someone to help you. I have done a lot in my garage with friends off the board. Just buy the food.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default hey

i am stationed at cherry point i did my cam swap id be more than happy to help you out its actually really easy if you have the time i did mine over the course of a 96 weekend because im **** about making sure everything is on point, but if you dont need to upgrade your intake manifold it shouldnt take more than a few hours i got tools too btw just bring the beer
Old 05-15-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RPM usually gets $700 a cam swap. If you don't do it yourself that's a good deal from them. Plus, Ryan is also one of the best tuners around. PM me if you want.