Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP cutout

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QTP cutout

yeah i have SLP longtubes, y-pipe and factory SLP CME, this setup is pretty queit so i want to install a cutout, it should wake up the sound quite a bit right? i've searched that the I-pipe is where most have there cutout, what do u guys think? oh and it will be an electric cutout. Thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try doing a search,it seems people are mounting them right under the rear passenger seat
Old 05-15-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MattHatt89
yeah i have SLP longtubes, y-pipe and factory SLP CME, this setup is pretty queit so i want to install a cutout, it should wake up the sound quite a bit right? i've searched that the I-pipe is where most have there cutout, what do u guys think? oh and it will be an electric cutout. Thanks
right behind the passenger area in the I pipe is where ive alwalys put mine
Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i have mine right under my seat on the i pipe and it's a qtp. The sound is awesome with it open and quite and mellow with it closed. Most people are surprised with how good it sounds, and it's real loud too . Also i put my switch for the cutout in my ashtray, it looks real stealthy and cool; and i personally believe it's one of the easier places to wire the switch.

oh and question: today i went to this guys shop whose been workin on the smallblocks for years and he swears that i'm gonna burn a valve with a cutout. I have stock everything with a cutout on the i-pipe is this true? i find it hard to believe. Not tryin to threadjack but i thought you'd find this a useful question
Old 05-18-2008, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

TTT
Can anyone answer that second part of my question?
Old 05-18-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

I've ran a few of them, on a few cars with no problems, and quite a few guys here have been running them like this for years, with no issues of burning out a valve. I wouldn't worry about it. Best place to put it is in the Y.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Burning valves is something you did in older V8s when you ran them without headers.
Something about cold air hitting the valves from the exhaust port. I.e, not a problem as long as you've got headers.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

haha alright thanks man, this guy was one of the guys who was totally old school... says the ls1 doesn't even COMPARE to the old chevy small blocks so it all makes sense now.