Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need a New Clutch - Spec 2 Short Life?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 03:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a New Clutch - Spec 2 Short Life? - New Question

So the clutch I had on my car (Spec 2) was supposed to only have a few thousand miles on it; this was "confirmed" by the person who sold me the car, and even the owner who had the vehicle before him (found him on LS1Tech) but tonight I finished it off. It was right after my first burn out - I had to be pushed out of the pre-staging lanes. So either I really messed up this clutch somehow, or the guy before me was just EXTREMELY rough on it.

So I read the sticky on CZ28 on clutches, and it seems to be a good idea to buy the clutch kit from AutoZone and switch the disk. But I have a few questions.
  1. Is #NU31265 the correct part number for the clutch kit?
  2. Does it still have the lifetime warranty?
  3. I will soon be adding a CC503 to my car and I should be putting down about 350RWHP but I'm not sure where my shift point will be. What is a good clutch disk for that situation?

Thanks for the help guys.

P.S. - Picture for enjoyment.

Last edited by Counted Out; 05-17-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:55 AM
12 Second Club

sorry to hear about another shitty spec

why not look into the ls7 clutch?

Chad
Old 05-17-2008, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
Are Spec's known for that?

Chad
I'm trying to save some money, how much do those run?
Old 05-17-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

that's the right part #

The Mcleod DF disc is $175 so you will have a decent clutch for $375.

For warrenty....might be tough to return a used PP and new disc down the road since you would not be using the stock disc.

After being through what you went through....I went with the ZOOM HP but it is $550

The SPEC rep may reply but he told me the SPEC PP "they" provide has a greater clamp force than a "stock" PP. Could not go into detail but that is what they claim.

If you get the Autozone look on the PP hat and fingers, it should say "Valeo". I have seen Autozone clutches that are clearly "clones" made in China and have 'raybestos" disc.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ******
The Mcleod DF disc is $175 so you will have a decent clutch for $375.
Isn't that disc only good to 5700RPM? That may be a little low with the new cam.

After being through what you went through....I went with the ZOOM HP but it is $550
Hows that clutch working out for you? Have a link?

If you get the Autozone look on the PP hat and fingers, it should say "Valeo". I have seen Autozone clutches that are clearly "clones" made in China and have 'raybestos" disc.
I'll check that. Thank you.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

yea mine's starting to slip and ive only put arounf 1500 on it
Old 05-17-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
yea mine's starting to slip and ive only put arounf 1500 on it
Are you talking about the Spec 2? If so, be gentle on it until you're ready to change it. I thought I was wrong about it slipping; well lets just say I learned how much it cost to tow a car 20 miles.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chad
LS7 clutches won't work with an LT1.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW I had a Spec 2 for over 40,000 miles. I took it out to replace it with a SPEC 5 when I went to a 408. The Spec 5 only lasted about 6,000 miles. Got a Spec 4 going in tomorrow. I've had good results with Specs, however I always get them balanced at a local machine shop.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Counted Out
Are Spec's known for that?
yes, do some research here, and other boards. spec is a gamble IMO.

LS7 clutches won't work with an LT1.

sorry didn't see it was an LT1 car, sorry.

Chad
Old 05-18-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Isn't that disc only good to 5700RPM? That may be a little low with the new cam.

,,clutch discs don't have a RPM rating

Hows that clutch working out for you? Have a link?

great, better street maners than the SPEC and holds at the track.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I'll check that. Thank you.
few pics:

ZOOM then RAM....then my SPEC 2+

my nood went to the ZOOM..has a better disc construction, IMHO
Attached Thumbnails Need a New Clutch - Spec 2 Short Life?-lt-1-clutches-051.jpg   Need a New Clutch - Spec 2 Short Life?-lt-1-clutches-053.jpg   Need a New Clutch - Spec 2 Short Life?-lt-1-clutches-055.jpg   Need a New Clutch - Spec 2 Short Life?-lt-1-clutches-058.jpg   Need a New Clutch - Spec 2 Short Life?-lt-1-clutches-078.jpg  

Old 05-21-2008, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen two McLeod Disks though; one saying something about 5700RPM and the other 7200RPM.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:24 PM
FormerVendor

I want to make sure I understand this...the clutch went through two other owners and it went out after you owned the car for a few thousand miles...but there is no info on the amount of mileage before that...yet some of you immediately say "**** that clutch." Come on guys. Think about it...there is no way of knowing how it was driven by the previous owners and no real way to know what kind of mileage is on it.

Counted...you say yourself that it happened after a burnout..."It was right after my first burn out"...does the car have line-lock? If not then you may very well have found the cause of the "failure." Doing burnout in RWD a car without line-lock is asking for trouble. You are essentially asking the clutch to battle the brakes in a game of "tug-o-war" and as been proven time and time again...eventually the clutch it going to lose.

I have no issue at all in taking a look at the parts when they come out of the car if you like. I will even offer you a break on new parts to help you out as there is nothing worse than buying a car and immediately having an issue. All I ask is that we put things into context before jumping to unjustified conclusions. Let me know if you all have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
I want to make sure I understand this...the clutch went through two other owners and it went out after you owned the car for a few thousand miles...but there is no info on the amount of mileage before that...yet some of you immediately say "**** that clutch." Come on guys. Think about it...there is no way of knowing how it was driven by the previous owners and no real way to know what kind of mileage is on it.
That's the problem I was having too. The clutch was raced on by both of the previous owners but I still think 3,000 miles is a little low; and the millage was confirmed by the person who put the clutch in (not saying this is 100% legit, but the guy seemed very trustworthy). You can even see in my original post I'm not sure exactly how the clutch was treated.

Counted...you say yourself that it happened after a burnout..."It was right after my first burn out"...does the car have line-lock? If not then you may very well have found the cause of the "failure." Doing burnout in RWD a car without line-lock is asking for trouble. You are essentially asking the clutch to battle the brakes in a game of "tug-o-war" and as been proven time and time again...eventually the clutch it going to lose.
No line lock - that was my next project. I have heard of lots of people doing burnouts without a line lock though. I knew it was a problem, but I thought on a fairly new clutch it would be okay.

I have no issue at all in taking a look at the parts when they come out of the car if you like. I will even offer you a break on new parts to help you out as there is nothing worse than buying a car and immediately having an issue. All I ask is that we put things into context before jumping to unjustified conclusions. Let me know if you all have any further questions. Thanks!
Do you think it was the pressure plate or disc that went bad? Would I be able to re-use either of them?
Old 05-24-2008, 02:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had a couple of Spec clutches and I will not use them again. I have an LS7 now and my next one will be a twin disk. I know a few people that have had nothing good to say about Spec and I know a few that swear they are the best clutch in the world. I won't speak for either party but my experience wasn't a good one, well more than one.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigdsz
FWIW I had a Spec 2 for over 40,000 miles. I took it out to replace it with a SPEC 5 when I went to a 408. The Spec 5 only lasted about 6,000 miles. Got a Spec 4 going in tomorrow. I've had good results with Specs, however I always get them balanced at a local machine shop.
I just installed a spec stg 2 a couple days ago, hope I have the same results you did!
Old 05-24-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another Spec bites the dust...
Old 05-28-2008, 11:20 AM
FormerVendor

Counted, I responded to your IM but I wanted to make sure that everyone else was up to date too. There are a few things that can lead to slippage. These include wear (meaning that the disc could be too thin), contamination may be a factor as well (any foreign liquid on the disc surface would lead to slippage. As for your question about what part may be to blame...if the plate were broken it would lead to an inability to shift gear because the unit wouldm not release. Because you can shift gears the plate is ruled out as a potential problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2008, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

mine only lasted 12k..... wish clutches werent so damn expensive