Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Getting ripped off!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ripped off!

Give me reasons why I should make the plunge in getting the Kenwood 512 and not worry constantly about the thing getting jacked. I live in a good area and have the factory alarm.. I'm on the fence bigtime. I want to run out and get it and this crap has me pausing bigtime..
Old 05-21-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Resident

I would not worry about it. If you never want it to get stolen, that's possible if you:
1. don't play your system loudly near groups of people in public places (e.g. the parking lot in front of the movies on fri. night)
2. Don't show off your system to anybody. (yes, this includes "friends", how many times have you heard "my friend's brother has this and that in his car"?)
3. Don't display any brand name stereo stickers on the outside of the car. (e.g. "Alpine" or "Kicker" stickers on the back window.)
4. Insure it. Have the thing professionally installed and take the receipt over to your ins. company. They will insure it for a small additional amount.
The key is to keep your stuff low-profile and insure it. Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snootch
I would not worry about it. If you never want it to get stolen, that's possible if you:
1. don't play your system loudly near groups of people in public places (e.g. the parking lot in front of the movies on fri. night)
2. Don't show off your system to anybody. (yes, this includes "friends", how many times have you heard "my friend's brother has this and that in his car"?)
3. Don't display any brand name stereo stickers on the outside of the car. (e.g. "Alpine" or "Kicker" stickers on the back window.)
4. Insure it. Have the thing professionally installed and take the receipt over to your ins. company. They will insure it for a small additional amount.
The key is to keep your stuff low-profile and insure it. Hope this helps.
all very good suggestions, especially (and most importantly) #1. i always turn down the stereo before i arrive at my destination, just so that it won't draw attention to anyone. if they don't know it's there, they're less likely to want to steal it.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Thats good advice. I'm not one to turn it up too loud. I had 2 diff Irocs get knocked over a movie theaters. They even had alarms on them. Thieves don't go buy any of that stuff,they look in nice cars. Its not the stereo,its the car that's a target. Correct?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irocem99
Its not the stereo,its the car that's a target. Correct?
It's anything that draws attention. Flashy car, system that can be heard for blocks away as you pull in and park, owner that brags about it, anything.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

I pretty much go from point A to point B,but it sucks to have to drive another car somewhere because you have to worry about this crap! If I ever catch a thief,I'll be writing you guy's from jail! :-)
Old 05-21-2008, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

I have had nice stereos in all of my cars and always have had dark tinted windows so even when you do look in you can hardly see anything although if theivs still want to get in they can best of luck.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, I wouldn't put too much trust on that stock alarm. My car got broken into with the alarm active and it never even went off. If your planning on spending major money, buy a quality alarm and rest assured that it will work. I went out and got a nice top notch viper alarm. You can't even breath on the car without it making a "Back the **** Up" noise. I love it.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

How much was the alarm Phantomzer0? Which model? I don't want the alarm going off constantly,but if you get close and it chirps or something..That would be cool..
Old 05-22-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're worried about your car so much, you should definitely get an aftermarket alarm. My **** is set real sensitive where someone next to me just starting their car arts it off. Yes, my neighbors hate me .
Old 05-24-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dragonrage
It's anything that draws attention. Flashy car, system that can be heard for blocks away as you pull in and park, owner that brags about it, anything.
I've had multiple 1000+ watt systems in my TA and never had a problem. I have the stock alarm system too. I drive around most of the time with the windows down, at 100% volume. BUT I turn that **** WAY down/off when I get within a mile of where i'm going and don't mention the system or show it to anyone.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

smart guy.. I just have a new head unit.. I wouldn't be worried about speakers.. Snootch what are you running for a head unit?