Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sportline/Stock--->Strano/Koni

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 04:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Default Sportline/Stock--->Strano/Koni

I know there have been many post's about being Stranoized.

When I bought the car it had sportline springs and stock decarbon's. It rode like CRAP and handled worse. I bought a set of Strano springs last year and finally bought the koni's a month or so ago.

I finally put them on a few days ago. The difference is amazing. The car doesn't bounce driving down the road. It doesn't bottom out. It feels like the car is actually connected to the road. It's hard to explain.

I noticed tonight it looks like I might need a adjustable PHB.

Sam is a great guy. He talked to me for a while last friday evening to make sure I got things setup right.

I need an alignment and new front tires. I have KDW's on the rear but freakin apparently they don't make them anymore so I am going with the Sports. They don't make the KDW 2's in 17inch rim size.

After the alignment and new tires I will mess with the settings on the struts/shocks just to see how they effect the handling.

I know everyone says go Stano/Koni. I know a lot of people bitch about that too. I think a lot of people recommend this setup because it's good.

Thanks Sam!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, I had pro kit and Bilstiens and Koni's and Strano's are the best for a camaro, if you want a good riding street car.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocket22
I agree, I had pro kit and Bilstiens and Koni's and Strano's are the best for a camaro, if you want a good riding street car.
or track car, or any other kind of car.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't say enough about the setup. I was a previous pro-kit decarbon jockey.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Konis are the single best mod you can do to these cars. People who have them know why. First time i drove the car is couldn't get the smile off my face.

Last edited by hpjunky98; 05-30-2008 at 02:33 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sportlines/stock shocks, F.T.W.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah the setup is top notch. I am going to have to call Sam. I was pushing the car a little bit today and the rear seems to come around in the turn. I don't know if it's the way I drive or if I can change the settings some.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a touch of oversteer aswell, but I believe it's the Sumi's i'm running on the rears LOL
Old 05-22-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, I love my koni setup too.

i just need to tweek the adjustment on the front because it is a little bouncier than i would like, anyone know if i should turn them up or down?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by skewba98z28
I have a touch of oversteer aswell, but I believe it's the Sumi's i'm running on the rears LOL
I am running BFG KDW's in the back, 275/17's. I am going to shoot Sam a PM to see what I can do to help it.

I took my friend out today who thinks that auto zone shocks and Eibach's "handle". I didn't get to push the car hard but I think he got the point.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Teching In

I picked up a set of Eibach sportlines. Anyone know what the max wheel/tire size is with those?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Can you imagine what things would be like if you guys had the "popular" bar combos of 32/21 or 35/25 vs. the 35/22 we went with? How about if you had more rear spring rate? My stuff is meant for balance, and that means depending on things like alignment, pressures, tire type, shock settings to a degree, corner entry speed, along with how much throttle, can change the balance. If anything we prefer a car that's a little more to the tight side for pure street use, but not pushy. It might take a little tweaking on the above things...

Tightening a car up is a phone call kind of thing, too many parameters to try and and deal with by e-mail.

FWIW, when limited slips get weak, or tires have poor grip the result is power on oversteer in both cases.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sam,

As usual your customer service is top notch. I found what my problem was.....tire pressure.

I have decent tires on the rear, BFG KDW's. After reading all of the posts about Sam's setup I don't ever remember reading about oversteer.

I checked my rear tire pressure and it was around 20-22. The fronts were about 30.

I set the rears to 35 and holy crap. It drives better than it did before which I didn't think was possible. Now the oversteer is controlled more by throttle input.

I took my brother in law out in it tonight and his response was, "Holy ****."

I am having better tires put on it in the morning and an alignment in the morning.

This is how these cars should have handled from the factory. But Sam wouldn't have a job then.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm glad you like my work.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
Konis are the single best mod you can do to these cards. People who have them know why. First time i drove the car is couldn't get the smile off my face.
TOTALLY AGREE! well not by experience but what everyone says about this combo. This is what i'll be running here shortly and cant wait
Old 05-29-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Sam,

As usual your customer service is top notch. I found what my problem was.....tire pressure.

I have decent tires on the rear, BFG KDW's. After reading all of the posts about Sam's setup I don't ever remember reading about oversteer.

I checked my rear tire pressure and it was around 20-22. The fronts were about 30.

I set the rears to 35 and holy crap. It drives better than it did before which I didn't think was possible. Now the oversteer is controlled more by throttle input.

I took my brother in law out in it tonight and his response was, "Holy ****."

I am having better tires put on it in the morning and an alignment in the morning.

This is how these cars should have handled from the factory. But Sam wouldn't have a job then.

What tires are you going with?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have BFG KDW's on the rear 275/40/17. Since they don't make that tire anymore I had to go with the BFG gForce Sports on the front, 275/40/17.

The car had KDWS on the front when I got the car. I personally thought they were an ugly tire thats why I replaced them. I also figured that a Dry/Wet tire would have better handling.

I got the new tires and the car aligned this morning. The car feels great. Sometimes I think the rear needs to be a little bit firmer. I might change it to see what it does.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I also noticed for the first time, I guess I never payed attention before.

My rear end is wayyy of center. I think it sits towards the driver side at least an inch.

I am going to order an adjustable PHB next week. With the rear being offset, will that cause any problems with handling?
Old 05-30-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

I have the double rod end type of PHB right now. I've actually been contemplating how much the BMR poly/poly adjustable PHB will work as far as keeping the car quiet and keeping the rear lateral movement completely still. My rear end is rattly, and it's probably a combination of many things, but I might consider that PHB in the future.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The rear-end being out of whack will most certainly mess with handling and feel. The car is crabbing down the road. Yes, you'll find an adjustable PHB will help a lot, both by centering the axle and by just deflecting less.

As for your wondering if the rear might not be more to your liking firmer.... the beauty is you can try it. Something that folks with non-adjustable shocks can't do.

Regarding poly bushed PHB's. Poly is stiffer, but it's not zero deflection. I put an all poly bar in a car once with 315's. and the tires rubbed as much as with the stock PHB (stock height car). What PHB do you have Bryan? There are rod-ends can make noise, but good ones don't make much generally. Remember that anything less than dual rod-ends will deflect more. A PHB with a combo deflects less than one that has both bushings. And if you go that way the trick is to mount the bushing on the body side to isolate any potential noise.

Quick Reply: Sportline/Stock--->Strano/Koni