Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Should i totally delete my PVC on my APS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i totally delete my PVC on my APS?

My builder was suggesting to me today since i have breathers in each aftermarket valve covers that i not even run a PVc system since it will no longer be a sealed system anyways Is it a waste of time to hook up the PVc guys?Thanks!!As always BARNAT
Old 05-21-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run no pvc. some guys get oil blown out through the filter but i have no proof to this as my car is not completed yet.

Marty
Old 05-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Teching In

im sry, its not PVC it's PCV. Positive Crankcase Ventilation
Old 05-21-2008, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

You dont need PCV if you have valve cover breathers. One on each side sould be fine. I only run a single breather on passenger and have no issues yet.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by barnat
My builder was suggesting to me today since i have breathers in each aftermarket valve covers that i not even run a PVc system since it will no longer be a sealed system anyways Is it a waste of time to hook up the PVc guys?Thanks!!As always BARNAT
Your builder would be correct. No point in having one with the breathers on there. I'm using two breather cans to vent mine, one off each cover.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Lol

Originally Posted by intermediate skool
im sry, its not PVC it's PCV. Positive Crankcase Ventilation
LOL!!your right LOL!!
Old 05-22-2008, 10:53 PM
9 Second Club

i have one breather on mine and it works fine and no pcv
Old 05-23-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never seen a car NOT blow oil through the breather when they did not have some kind of PCV. I ran my car this way for a year and will defenitely be doing some kind of PCV or catch can at least. My engine bay will never rust thanks to the breather mod.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SStolen
I've never seen a car NOT blow oil through the breather when they did not have some kind of PCV. I ran my car this way for a year and will defenitely be doing some kind of PCV or catch can at least. My engine bay will never rust thanks to the breather mod.
The reason you do not see it with a traditional pcv system is due to the oil having somewhere to go (the intake).

Try running a catch can inline with the barb from the valley and valve covers to the air filter on the turbos.

For higher hp stuff the pcv delete is the best way due to having no way to get oil into the intake. Oil in the intake under boost can cause harsh detonation even if the tune is spot on.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

for the guys doing the ones on the valve covers where are yall getting them?
Old 05-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
For higher hp stuff the pcv delete is the best way due to having no way to get oil into the intake. Oil in the intake under boost can cause harsh detonation even if the tune is spot on.
That is why I am not running a PCV system.

Keith
Old 05-25-2008, 03:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

mine is..... Breather on oil fill, both ports on pass side valve cover capped. Port on Drivers side VC has a breather on it (Murrays for reject wondering), Intake and TB ports capped. LS6 valley port ran to top of catch can, side of catch can has a one way valve running to the turbo inlet. Hope this helps!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 05-25-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

I coppied MightyMouse's pcv system since he had great results, I'll know in about a week or so how it works for me. I didn't want breathers for the already mentioned oil spraying in the engine bay, not after all the painting, cleaning and time to make it look nice under the hood. Plus with FI its very important to have a zero or negative crankcase pressure. Just b/c you don't have a pcv system and aren't having 'oil' go into the intake doesn't mean you are fine. Whats the crankcase pressure like? Did you measure it?

It will obviously depend on how much blow by you have and how loose the motor is, etc. Most FI motors will see some blow by sooner or later and its allot better if you can eliminate this with some sort of vac/pcv system. I didn't want to get a scavenge pump b/c its simply not needed for me and the way MM did it seemed to be the best and yet cheapest way to do it as well. Also looking clean to I might add. Do whatever floats your boat though but I didn't want to skimp out on something that was very important in my eyes.

If you care to see what I am talking about or just want a good read if you already haven't here ya go!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/517372-my-fi-pcv-crank-vac-system.html
Old 10-29-2008, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

PCV's are OK for high hp motors, but they have there limits. The thing that surprises me the most is how small in diameter the pcv line is. In a decent turbo engine it will breath and a small 5/16" line or 3/8" line just won't cut it. A true negative pressure system has no air bleeds to the engine. Fully sealed to maximise vacuum. PCV systems are ok for turbos but no where as good as vac pumps or vacuupans. I have had great success with vacuupans on a fully sealed engine. Very simple, cheap and no cabin smells.

Also I have read some people use pcv with breathers. No point as there is no vacuum created in the crankcase. 2 decent size breathers is good enough. If u still push oil past seals go the vacuupan. Then no more leaks.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Banned

what is this vacuupans?
got a link?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm for now am going to run aps setup exactly as they manual suggested. Just the one way valve . I have valve cover breather for passenger side but not sure should run it also ..

Quick Reply: Should i totally delete my PVC on my APS?