Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How long do shocks last?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How long do shocks last?

I have a set of the SLP Bilsteins on my '96 Z-28. The car has 70K on the clock, I installed the Bilsteins at roughly 35K. The roads here in western NY are a bit rough.

Is there an average life expectancy for these shocks?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on how you drive, the conditions of the roads driven on, and the build quality of the shock. So its kinda hard to say. I would think as long as they are still dampening properly then they should be fine. How is the ride quality of your car currently?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a quality monotube like a bilstein, the valving typically won't change over time, rather the seals will fail. Look for oil on the shocks exterior, or remove it from the car and cycle it to see if nitrogen has gotten around the divider piston into the oil. You will feel a soft spot near full extension with the rod up if this has happened.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Can be from not long to forever. Often shocks don't fail, they just get too soft for various reasons. Most of the DeCarbon's you all took off weren't broken they just weren't valved well and got worse over time putting them way of what whack for what was needed. This is yet another reason that adjustable shocks are nice. You can add back damping control over time if/when you find the shocks have softened to much for your tastes.

In fact, that's what the adjustement on Koni's started out as 60+ years ago. But over time folks found you could really change the feel and performance of a car by varying damping levels even if nothing is broken.

35k on Bilstein's should not be an issue in terms of truly being "bad". They might be a bit soft..or not, that largely depends on what you think. If the car is less crisp than you'd like and does things like generates roll and pitch faster than it used to, or than you'd prefer then the shocks are not adequate for your wants.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-23-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks, guys.........
Old 05-23-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
.... How is the ride quality of your car currently?
Not bad, however components generally wear slowly over time, therefore the changes can be barely perceptable, until they plunge to "totally shot". As I recall, I put the Bilsteins on about 6 years ago, and yes, the change from the DeCarbons to them was dramatic, to say the least. But to try and recall exactly how well it rides today vs. 6 years ago, is a bit difficult.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me remind you of how the deCarbons felt like...

floaty like there was a disconnect between the tires and your body, on braking the nose would dive, going over speedbumps, your exhaust would bump hard on the speedbump unless you babied it perfectly over the bump. If you had people in the car, like 1 extra person, the exhaust would DRAG over the speedbump. There wouldn't be as much confidence to brake hard AND steer from high speeds as if you upset the balance a little too much, you'd end up flicking out the rear or getting the ABS to kick in.

If this is what you are going through with your current aged shocks, you may want to consider replacing them. Also if you drive on really rough roads and didn't care about hitting potholes or driving full speed over shotty level railroad tracks.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SladeX
Let me remind you of how the deCarbons felt like...

floaty like there was a disconnect between the tires and your body, on braking the nose would dive, going over speedbumps, your exhaust would bump hard on the speedbump unless you babied it perfectly over the bump. If you had people in the car, like 1 extra person, the exhaust would DRAG over the speedbump. There wouldn't be as much confidence to brake hard AND steer from high speeds as if you upset the balance a little too much, you'd end up flicking out the rear or getting the ABS to kick in.

If this is what you are going through with your current aged shocks, you may want to consider replacing them. Also if you drive on really rough roads and didn't care about hitting potholes or driving full speed over shotty level railroad tracks.

Actually, I seem to recall that the OE DeCarbons I had were way too stiff on compression, with no rebound control at all. The car road like a buckboard, but at the time, with a sizeable mortgage on my digs and all, shocks were a secondary concern. However, as soon as I made the last house payment, I got the Bilsteins...no kidding!!

With respect to potholes, they're all over where I live, and I avoid them with a passion. I'm actually surprised that I've never been pulled over for a breathilyzer test, as I've done some wild weaving down the road, just dodging those damned things.

However, my main reason for questioning shock life is that shocks have come a long way since I first started tinkering with cars...both in performance and life, as well as cost. When I bought my first car, a good shock was $10...honestly! If it lasted 10-12,000 miles, so be it. $40 and a couple of hours labor, and you were back in business. It's a little more expensive and a little more work to be swapping them out like we did in the old days.

Quick Reply: How long do shocks last?