Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any tips on fixing a heater? the element?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any tips on fixing a heater? the element?

i have it wired up, but its possible that i shorted the heater out. it was ground out at the termostat or what ever. got the test light out. power goes all the way to the actual element though. sometimes it feels a little hot at first but after a couple of minutes its gone. anyone take the element apart and try to fix it? cheapest i found was 65 for brand X or 110 for NX...DAMN. my kit is wet kit all NX parts.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm,
1. Bypass the pressure switch and see if the issue is in the pressure switch..

2. Double check wiring.. Make sure you are running atleast a 12 gauge hot wire to the relay.. make sure you have a good ground..

If the element is burned out there is no way to fix it. Time to get another one.

Dave
Old 06-02-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Your grounding the heater through the pressure switch?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Launching!

not on purpose. the n2o line touched one of the wires. i have a real ground.

also, dave if it were either of the 2 things u mentioned, would my test light still show power going into the heather element? thats y i think its the heater element.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by onoiocoko
not on purpose. the n2o line touched one of the wires. i have a real ground.

also, dave if it were either of the 2 things u mentioned, would my test light still show power going into the heather element? thats y i think its the heater element.
Say the heater is Blown/broken/or cracked. You can have power applied to one side and because of the lack of coninuity there will be no curent flow through the other side. Now if it were a bad swich or relay contact you could show power on both sides of the heater because of no ground connection (if you switching the ground side).
Old 06-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Launching!

both sides of the heater? like positive and negitive or literally one side of the element and the other. kinda following here
Old 06-04-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

both sides of the heater? like positive and negitive or literally one side of the element and the other. kinda following here
Its a continuity path. If you have a constant 12 volts applied to the heater and say the ground is switched through the relay. Then if the relay contact was bad you could measure 12 Volts on both sides of the heater, because at that point the same potential is on both sides of the heater compared to ground.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Launching!

update. im not getting power past my pressure switch. i don't know what was different before than now, but the basic NX heater pressure switch doesnt have an adjustment for pressure does it? horay, this is fun.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure on the NX. But the dynotune and other switches had a rubber plug in the center covering the adjustment screw for switch output.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

update. im not getting power past my pressure switch. i don't know what was different before than now, but the basic NX heater pressure switch doesnt have an adjustment for pressure does it? horay, this is fun.
Your right, NX pressure switches are not adjustable. It should have power on both sides when under 1050psi, and not when above 1050psi. If you need to replace it, I suggest a brand other than NX, since all the board sponsors sell the adjustable version for about 1/2 the price NX asks.