Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meth injection

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Meth injection

Has anyone heard any updates on any of the N2O/Meth injection kits that a couple of the bigger name N2O vendors were working on? The last I heard, one of them was hoping to have somthing ready the last of spring/first of summer.
I'm refering to the true "plug and play", TESTED systems, not just some parts you put together and hope for the best
Old 06-12-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone??
Has anyone "built their own" and have any #s to prove this would be worth the time/$ to make the swap on street system?
Old 06-12-2008, 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

Just a randow question to throw in there, can you run meth injection with nitrous?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:36 PM
FormerVendor

It really becomes a compatibilty/price issue. Meth like any alcohol dries out seals and corrodes aluminum. You would need to run teflon hoses for the meth as well as run a plastic tank. Now comes the bigger $$ part...I highly suggest not using a walbro pump with methanol. The seals are not alcohol compatable and you'll run into issues down the road. You'll have to do an alcohol compatable pump, and right there you doubled if not tripled your cost on a pump alone.

There are many benifits to running methanol and even ethanol as a fuel, but does the price difference make up for it? Such as; you'll gain the octane, quicker burn speed across the piston and a higher latent heat of vaporization which means you can run a bunch of timing because the meth burns quicker and will help pull the heat out of the combustion chamber. But like above, that all comes at a cost. Another alternative would just be a conventional stand alone and running race fuel. The only benifit of meth over race fuel really is the higher latent heat of vap. Granted with that comes more timing but, again it does become a cost issue. Honestly, in a street car, I think you'd be better off just bumping the jet size up. Keep your eyes on the board in the next couple weeks or so...We've been playing around with a set-up that's pretty slick.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as cost, if you already have a N2O system in place, you could use the windsheild washer tank, so the only cost SHOULD be the pump, rebuild kit for fuel solinoid with Teflon seals, (or just buy a solinoid) and a couple of very short pieces of Alcohol compatable hose (tank-solinoid - jet) so IF there are any gains at all (10-15hp) it would proably be more hp/$$ than things like a ported FAST intakes
The PRIMARY reason I was intersted in converting, was simply the "Theory" that it was MUCH better on the engine parts due to a more controlled burn. That in itself is work a reasonable investment for me.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend is selling his off his mustang for cheap. He used it on his 88 boosted fox and it worked great...he is getting a ic now so he doesnt need it anymore. pm me if you want me to talk to him
Old 06-13-2008, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

I have been using alky injection on both my 04 SSR LS1 and my 87 Grand National, A lot of guys didn't believe in it but they do now, The last two year I run the stock 5.3 with a super charger running 11 pounds of boost and it run 12.70's. A 4980 pound truck and got 21 mpg with the ac on and pump gas and the cost of the alky was just pocket change, I run maybe 30 run on a gallon, The Grand National stock block with a 66 turbo and 60 pound injectors run 11.18 at 120 on pump gas and alky, I have a great kit with full control over everything, On the SSR I use the washer tank and this year with the LS1 I get maybe 16 runs on a gallon, , I think it is about as good a kit as can be made, Yes you can run meth injection with nitrous and it works out fine I know some that do but mostly just to spool their turbos
Old 06-14-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevied916
my friend is selling his off his mustang for cheap. He used it on his 88 boosted fox and it worked great...he is getting a ic now so he doesnt need it anymore. pm me if you want me to talk to him
It's not hard to find kits, or even indiviual parts for alcohol (they're everywhere) but most are made for FI applications. I have already found the pump, hoses, and NX can sell me the rebuild kit to swap over my fuel solonoid to be compatable. The problem is information. What I (and anyone else that is interested in possibly running meth) need is the setup information. What pressure works best, what jet sizes gives what hp, etc..) I don't have ready access to a dyno (or a spare engine) so I can just play with different jet sizes and pressures until I happen to get it right.
If someone builds a complete kit and a update kit for guys already running N2O, and can show benifits, either hp or (for me persoanlly) relaibility and less engine stress , I think guys would buy it.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with your statement. I would buy a proven system from a vendor and have been waiting for someone to come out with a full plug and play.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

NX can give you a good begining jet selection and pressure.

This is the jetting for 40 psi with methanol according to NX.
Shot size-n20 jet/fuel jet
50-35/31
75-41/38
100-52/46
150-62/57