General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window motor questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window motor questions

So, I've been having a problem recently with my driver's side window on my 2000 Firebird Convertible. It will go down fine most of the time, and when it tries to go up, will only go up about an inch or two and then die. If I open and shut the door, it will usually go up another inch or two. Initially, I thought the motor might be dying, but one day I tried it (out of curiosity), and it went down and back up at full power like it was brand new! Which makes me think it's an electrical connection that's going bad somewhere.

Are there any simple places to check before following the guide to rip the entire motor out of the door? Like a frayed cable in the door hinge, or connection somewhere else?

Additionally... my vert top is starting to sag - anything I can do about that before ripping the front off and retightening?

Any suggestions / help / comments would be awesome.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try by removing the dorr panel first and u will c all the connctions and everything
Old 06-11-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah remove doorpanel, its easy, look for all the screws and use a long phillips. It sounds like a motor is going bad, it probably craps out if you use it a couple times in a row, or when its hot, and works after you leave it alone for a while.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the classic window motor going south to me.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Cool

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Sounds like the classic window motor going south to me.
try switching your passenger side switch to the drivers side switch and see if its not the switch.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://nikon.250free.com/window/index.htm
Old 06-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Teching In

You probably need a new window motor. You might be able to get one from your local auto parts store or you can buy one of ebay.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Default same problem

I'm having the same problem..... thanks.... I will be testing it ASAP !!!!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Your motor is on the way out. The internal circuitry that shuts off the motor when it senses resistance from being all the way up/down is going bad.

To confirm the issue and get your window shut when the motor stops part-way up: turn off the car, turn it back on, open the door, and then tug up on the glass while you press the up switch. This should give the motor enough "help" to go all the way up. If this works, you should prepare to replace your motor - its only a matter of time before it dies on you completely...
Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nozomiyume
So, I've been having a problem recently with my driver's side window on my 2000 Firebird Convertible. It will go down fine most of the time, and when it tries to go up, will only go up about an inch or two and then die. If I open and shut the door, it will usually go up another inch or two. Initially, I thought the motor might be dying, but one day I tried it (out of curiosity), and it went down and back up at full power like it was brand new! Which makes me think it's an electrical connection that's going bad somewhere.

Are there any simple places to check before following the guide to rip the entire motor out of the door? Like a frayed cable in the door hinge, or connection somewhere else?

Additionally... my vert top is starting to sag - anything I can do about that before ripping the front off and retightening?

Any suggestions / help / comments would be awesome.
Don't be so fast to get a new motor. If you slam the door and it helps or it works perfectly sometimes...like you said.....then most likely your motor is just accumulating corrosion.

Take the door panel off. Get a rubber hammer and beat the **** out of the door panel right where the motor is mounted to it, this will loosen up the corrosion. Then take a new can of SeaFoam spray or WD-40 and empty the entire can into the motor...while you are pressing the switch up and and down moving the window. If it is a corrosion problem, that will most likely make it good as new.

Window motors usually just fail, rather than slowly die. Corrosion is what slows them down, just like it slowly affects a battery from starting an engine as it builds up on the terminals. After it builds up enough then the starter won't get any power and you're dead in the water, but the battery is still fine. Same thing with the window motors.

As "wssix99" said, resistance is what slows the motor. The corrosion is that resistance.

Its worth a try.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Yeah, my initial thought is that it's based off of corrosion - it's pretty humid down here in Texas, so it wouldn't surprise me. I guess it's actually possible to spray down the thing with WD40 without ripping the whole door off (meaning the interior panel). I haven't seen any guides to remove and put back the same motor, just to drill out the existing motor and replace with a new one, so I wasn't too sure how to tackle that...
Old 06-12-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nozomiyume
Yeah, my initial thought is that it's based off of corrosion - it's pretty humid down here in Texas, so it wouldn't surprise me. I guess it's actually possible to spray down the thing with WD40 without ripping the whole door off (meaning the interior panel). I haven't seen any guides to remove and put back the same motor, just to drill out the existing motor and replace with a new one, so I wasn't too sure how to tackle that...
You have to take the interior door panel off to spray the motor.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Alright, finally got a chance to pop open the door, and I'm pretty sure it's corrosion, because even if I help lift it, the window goes nowhere unless it feels like it.

But holy crap, I can't see / maneuver at all with the motor behind this wall of metal - I'm going through the replacement tutorial which drills out the rivets to get to the motor, but even then, it seems like I would need an eye on my hand to figure out how to catch it much less put it back. Am I missing something? Is there a better way to do this? o_O
Old 06-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Oh, and soaking thing in WD40 and beating the crap out of it (which is very theraputic, BTW) does seem to help.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah join the club I have to do the same thing here...
Old 06-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Teching In

I just bought copies of the factory manuals off of ebay, so I'm hoping they provide some help as well. Dunno, may just end up drilling the holes and navigating blindly, given the horror stories of soem people with realigning the window.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by needadvice
Don't be so fast to get a new motor. If you slam the door and it helps or it works perfectly sometimes...like you said.....then most likely your motor is just accumulating corrosion.

Take the door panel off. Get a rubber hammer and beat the **** out of the door panel right where the motor is mounted to it, this will loosen up the corrosion. Then take a new can of SeaFoam spray or WD-40 and empty the entire can into the motor...while you are pressing the switch up and and down moving the window. If it is a corrosion problem, that will most likely make it good as new.

Window motors usually just fail, rather than slowly die. Corrosion is what slows them down, just like it slowly affects a battery from starting an engine as it builds up on the terminals. After it builds up enough then the starter won't get any power and you're dead in the water, but the battery is still fine. Same thing with the window motors.

As "wssix99" said, resistance is what slows the motor. The corrosion is that resistance.

Its worth a try.
Alright, been in and out of that door a few times now and I'm starting to try to figure out how to get rid of whatever corrosion is in the motor - when you say spray the hell out of the motor, do you mean spray the connector portion at the front of the door through the speaker hole?

Like, the white plastic part in these pictures? I can't see any other place to get anything into the motor other than that... http://nikon.250free.com/window/index.htm
Old 06-28-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula413
Does this really work? Im going to try this, thanks.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

WS6 Store carries AutoTrix Window Fix kits

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...4c2ab1bc40b6d2
Old 06-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Teching In

I've heard cleaning out the corrosion works, but I'd rather not drill out the rivets if I don't have to - especially since it seems like it should be riveted back in afterwards. I'm almost certain it's corrosion based, given how it's acting (some hitting usually has it work a little bit) and I know someone was saying you can spray the crap outta it with WD40 or seafoam while it's still attached - anyone know how to do that?

Interesting on the repair kit - anyone know what it entails? And why is it only for the passenger side? My driver's side one is the one giving me trouble!