Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous newbie in need of guidenece.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nitrous newbie in need of guidenece.

Ok I tried reseraching this but the search has been down. I have a few of important beginner questions.

Im looking to spray a 150-175 wet shot. I dont want to dump a whole lot of money in my first setup of nitrous, so direct port is out of the picture right now.

Im looking at intake nozzle kits, and plate kits. Nos, nx, and zex. The reasons these kits appeal to me Is with my budget, I should be able to afford the kit, and get the car retuned for it.

NOS has a pretty good looking plate kit adjustable to 250hp. Some of my concerns would be, it has a mechanical WOT switch.. How is that wired up on a corvette?

The zex kit looks very user friendly. This would be my very first nitrous setup so Im wondering if the simplicity is what I need?

Ive heard allot about the window switches.. Im indeed afraid of hitting the rev limiter. Does the zex kit have this built in? Or would I need to purchase a stand alone window switch?

Lastly is the plate kit that much better than the Nozzle in the intake type?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a fan of the plate kit over the wet nozzle.

If I recall correctly Dave of Nitrous Outlet explained the differences when he brought his plate on the market a few years ago, the plate with the same jetting and bottle pressure compared to a single nozzle was under 10 HP (I want to say 4-6, but I am not sure since I can not find that post)) difference (plate was higher). I am sure one of the Nitrous Outlet guys will show soon

As for window Switch I have been using the Trick Performance 2 Stage window switch. Its digital, no pills to load, fully programable (Gear lockout, windows for two stages) with a Built in WOT/TPS. Works great on C-5's. You can get one from Nitrous Outlet or Dynotune.

Robert56 has a thread for C5/Zo6 installs, check that out for ideas.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

Can I spray it before its tuned if the timing is pulled?

I know you'll need to pull timing, I saw some article about doing the resistor mod, but im not sure exactly how its done, it confused me to where you wire it in.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

Originally Posted by vetteboyc5
Ok I tried researching this but the search has been down. I have a few of important beginner questions.

I'm looking to spray a 150-175 wet shot. I don't want to dump a whole lot of money in my first setup of nitrous, so direct port is out of the picture right now.

I'm looking at intake nozzle kits, and plate kits. Nos, nx, and zex. The reasons these kits appeal to me Is with my budget, I should be able to afford the kit, and get the car re-tuned for it.

NOS has a pretty good looking plate kit adjustable to HP. Some of my concerns would be, it has a mechanical WOT switch.. How is that wired up on a corvette?

The zex kit looks very user friendly. This would be my very first nitrous setup so I'm wondering if the simplicity is what I need?

Ive heard allot about the window switches.. I'm indeed afraid of hitting the rev limiter. Does the zex kit have this built in? Or would I need to purchase a stand alone window switch?

Lastly is the plate kit that much better than the Nozzle in the intake type?
Like Beer said The plate system will be a better choice because you are taking a Single discharge for N20 and the same for fuel for a single nozzle and breaking it into 6 N20 and 6 fuel discharges on the plate getting you better atomization and more even cylinder distribution. With you having a Corvette I'd suggest getting the Window switch because it will allow you to wire into the TPS on the car and activate the system by the TPS voltage. You can spray it before it's tuned but you need to make sure before you spray it you have enough fueling to support it and you have the appropriate plugs in the car also. I'd start off untuned with a 50 shot just to safe.

-Chris
Old 06-12-2008, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

for my shot that im looking to run wouldnt I need to pull timing?

Isnt there a resistor mod to do this? I wanted to search on how to do it but search isnt working
Old 06-12-2008, 02:12 PM

I like the Nozzle myself, but only NX brand.....
Old 06-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

As long as you have the fueling covered and your car is still on the stock untouched tune you can spray a 100HP shot

-Chris
Old 06-12-2008, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris@NitroDaves
As long as you have the fueling covered and your car is still on the stock untouched tune you can spray a 100HP shot

-Chris

I Forgot to mention im running a ms4 cam thats been dynotuned....

My tuner mentioned that I could set it up where I have a switch to retard the timing when im spraying..

I guess im stuck having to go back and pay him another 300 bucks to tune my car?
Old 06-12-2008, 03:58 PM
10 Second Club

If he tuned your car with EFILive, you can do the COS5 and have a seperate tune with the flip of a switch. You need to know how he tuned your car if you want to spray without a new tune. HP #'s have become way too important to some people, and some tuners will run your tune on the ragged edge to get that last bit of HP available. Might be great for motor #'s, but doesn't leave room for spray.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

I do know the car was tuned with EFI live. Im trying to figure out what parts to order. I dont really want to get one of those timing tuners If not needed ya know? or do I need to get a full unit that'll pull the timing and be my window switch too, If so Can someone recomend me what Ill need?

Someone just throw me a list of the basics to have a safe effective setup please?

I already know Im gonna run the NOS plate kit Jetted for a 150 or 175 Shot..
Old 06-12-2008, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

I do know the car was tuned with EFI live. Im trying to figure out what parts to order. I dont really want to get one of those timing tuners If not needed ya know? or do I need to get a full unit that'll pull the timing and be my window switch too, If so Can someone recomend me what Ill need?

Someone just throw me a list of the basics to have a safe effective setup please?

If you give Chris @ Nitrous Outlet, DynoTune, or one of the other Nitrous sponsors here a call, they will hook you up. You best bet is a kit. Then as Beer said grab a Trick Performance 2 stage window switch, makes it all nice and easy.
As for your timing my tuner pulled 4 degrees just as a start for our testing which we have not yet done. Our local track is being replaced so we have some down time.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

By the way here is a Summer Special thread you might be interested in.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-oxide/934999-nitrous-outlet-summer-time-specials.html
Old 06-12-2008, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Unless you're gettin a smokin deal (like free) on that NOS plate, I would go with the HSW or Nitrous Outlet plate.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nitro Daves plate system here. I'm very happy with it and think my research payed off. The thing is, don't cheap out. If whatever vendor you decide to chose, tells you which way to go, and what you need to get there, just do it. I purchased all the supporting things I needed to make this as safe as possible.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

the only one i would go with is the nitrous outlet plate...i used it on my old 85mm setup, and now im giong to be using it for my first stage with a 90mm setup. give chris a call at Nitrous Outlet he is the man and can get you hooked up.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by firefighting1101
the only one i would go with is the nitrous outlet plate...i used it on my old 85mm setup, and now im giong to be using it for my first stage with a 90mm setup. give chris a call at Nitrous Outlet he is the man and can get you hooked up.
"I'm going to be using it for my first stage", I like the sound of that!! Me too, once I set up the second bottle with the the Nano system I purchased from Nitrous Outlet.
Lets see what this stock bottom end can handle, I say!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
"I'm going to be using it for my first stage", I like the sound of that!! Me too, once I set up the second bottle with the the Nano system I purchased from Nitrous Outlet.
Lets see what this stock bottom end can handle, I say!!!
I like the way you think....Let me know if yours grenades before mine does......