Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

SMI to build possible drag strip at NHMS

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SMI to build possible drag strip at NHMS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CompetitionPlus.com is reporting that Speedway Motorsports Inc. chairman Bruton Smith is considering New Hampshire Motor Speedway as the next location to build a drag strip for hosting exciting NHRA action.

According to the report, a source close to NHMS officials confirmed discussions between Smith and top NHRA executives about bringing professional drag racing to Loudon, N.H.

The drag strip at NHMS would be similar to the sparkling new facility Smith has recently built in Concord, N.C. The Dragway@Lowe’s Motor Speedway will host its first NHRA event - the NHRA Nationals from Sept. 11 to Sept. 14.

The event will be the first playoff round of the NHRA POWERade Countdown to the Championship and feature competition in all four professional categories — Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont know how that would work with NED down the street I hope it dose not kill the street nights at ned and shut them down due to lack of funds.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:14 AM
TECH Regular

Ya NED needs all they can get
Old 12-27-2008, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Thumbs up

I think its a good thing. I love N.E.D. but this type of crap from track management is not right and will give people another option to race at if they wish to.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...lil-upset.html
Old 12-27-2008, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

lol thanx for bringing up my post... lol i was kinda overreacting in that one tho lol

all in all i love NED. yea we have had our "tiffs" and half of the time i was wrong and have of the time they were wrong but w/e, i mean i am kinda a cocky lil ***** sometimes lol... (brad u remember that time early in the season, hah putting them on the trailor one by one) lol... but i think it was just hard to get "in" on the NED "clique" of regulars and track management... i dont think that it was neccisarily a bad thing but maybe it just had to happen... like a growing pain season lol...

all in all i love ned its my home track, first and only dragstrip i have ever seen or raced on. if another track opens most of my business would stay at NED.

i also think they will do alright, a lot of guys from southern MA or central MA would rather just take 95 to 101 real quick then travel the extra milage to loudon... but i dn i guess that depends on how nice the new strip would be...
Old 12-27-2008, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

I just thought I would bring it up. I have had no problems myself there. I really like the place. I just didnt think the attitude you were given was right. I think you did a good job handling it though.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

As far as I know Bob Bahre talked about bringing NHRA years ago. Problem is, the town of Canterbury would fight tooth and nail to stop it. A good portion of the property resides in Canterbury and most of the folks seem to hate the track with a passion. The noise and traffic doesn't seem to be worth the hundreds of millions of dollars NHMS brings into NH. The only way Smith could build and operate a dragstrip is if he bought all of Canterbury and burnt it to the ******* ground (which he could probably afford to do).

Anyway, if they did put it in I don't think it would take away from NED street night to much. NHMS is just to far north for most NED racers. And oh ya, NHMS currently has a strict 99dB@50' limit for most sportsman/club events, **** that. Would be nice to have a dragstrip here though.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
As far as I know Bob Bahre talked about bringing NHRA years ago. Problem is, the town of Canterbury would fight tooth and nail to stop it. A good portion of the property resides in Canterbury and most of the folks seem to hate the track with a passion. The noise and traffic doesn't seem to be worth the hundreds of millions of dollars NHMS brings into NH. The only way Smith could build and operate a dragstrip is if he bought all of Canterbury and burnt it to the ******* ground (which he could probably afford to do).

Anyway, if they did put it in I don't think it would take away from NED street night to much. NHMS is just to far north for most NED racers. And oh ya, NHMS currently has a strict 99dB@50' limit for most sportsman/club events, **** that. Would be nice to have a dragstrip here though.
Thanks for the info. By the way NICE Z !
Old 12-29-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Personally, I can not stand NED. They are so arrogant it is rediculous. The retards they hire for tech, often either don't even look at the vehicle, have no idea what to look for, or look at every little thing including stuff that doesn't even come close to applying. They run the lanes like ****. (though it has been better lately). Its expensive, and they have zero apreciation for thier customers, because they know they are coming back anyway. If they built a track near by, you can bet I would not frequent NED nearly as often.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

I have to admit of there was a brand new track I would definitely have to go try it out. Besides my car gets like 28mpg on the highway
Old 12-29-2008, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

thx for the nice words 2002 lol... oh of course i would try it out too!... and im happy whip shares some of the same expirences as myself, it hought i was the only one ... and he makes a good point saying they dont care cuz they know u will be back no matter what...
Old 12-29-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Guys i hope the new track comes as well but NED has its ups and downs just like everywhere!!!! i have been a points member since 16. and got nothing but a bunch of good freinds out of it ya some times the track makes some bad calls.. and yes the tech has be the worst in years but look what they have to work with good help is hard to come bye.. and look who they deal with some times for customers!!!! and for price i think its fair. my rec. is join points the first week end and get a annual tech well worth the money.. plus you support the track more... but the more tracks the better. guys come out and race!!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BoostnTBSS
Guys i hope the new track comes as well but NED has its ups and downs just like everywhere!!!! i have been a points member since 16. and got nothing but a bunch of good freinds out of it ya some times the track makes some bad calls.. and yes the tech has be the worst in years but look what they have to work with good help is hard to come bye.. and look who they deal with some times for customers!!!! and for price i think its fair. my rec. is join points the first week end and get a annual tech well worth the money.. plus you support the track more... but the more tracks the better. guys come out and race!!!!
Your right, and I cringed as I typed what I did. I have had a lot of good times at NED, and yes, there are some good people there that work hard, and yes they have to deal with a lot of *********. And I would hope the new track wouldn't hurt thier bussiness, but I hope it would change thier attitude a bit. They seem to have no descrimination as far as treating regulars good compared to some **** head in daddies BMW or honda. They need to have a little respect for the loyal racers.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would love if they built a new track. i like NED (i've never ran my truck anywhere else, so i really have no comparisson track), but everytime i go i stay there for say 3 or 4 hours and get maybe 5 runs in. it's just wayyyy too damn busy if you ask me.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
9 Second Club

I would love to see another track go in. I've had a lot of fun at NED, good racing, great people. Management... not a fan.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It wouldn't bother me a bit to see another track in the area, rest assured if another one were to open up, the better of the 2 will get the crowds.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:03 AM
11 Second Club

good point JL, like i said earlier i believe i would stay loyal to NED, its a classic old time track, been there for years... has a lot of history
Old 01-03-2009, 05:34 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Tell ya what, they build a track that's say .2 faster on average, prep is always better, and it's run alot better and have a better racing program, you'll bail out of NED in a hurry.

Hell if a 1/8th mile track opened up in CT I'd bail out of going to LVD and all over the place and race right here if the place had good prep, was run right and had a good racing program.