Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

i need someone who is good with networking

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 05:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need someone who is good with networking

i'm having some friggin' pain in the *** problems getting my exchange server to start up. we keep having this problem, where the services (mta stacks, information store, routing engine) won't start, no matter how many times you try and start them. earlier today we had the issue, and we had to re-format our server to get it to work, and start from scratch with Active Directory.

so i came across this problem tonight, reformatted the server, installed DNS and made it a domain controller, got all my ip settings good, installed exchange 2003, and now it's doing it again right off the bat. i keep getting the "the dependency service or group failed to start." message. i double checked the dependencies and they're all started.

i have slept maybe a total of 8 hours combined these last 3 days, had to take night watch tonight, and i got people who are up my *** about getting our network back up, but i'm stumped and i am losing my cool. anyone got some ideas?
Old 06-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Been there!

What is up in the error logs?

Did Exchange recover from log files?

Ryph
Old 06-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Also, is IIS runnning?

Ryph
Old 06-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Launching!

didn't check them cuz we're under the gun to get it up and running. i'm re-formatting another server as i'm typing this.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

LMAO... i'm on the phone with microsoft working on a stupid OCS issues, decided to check the LS1 boards and of course people are posting about IT issues :OOOOOOOO

Originally Posted by wtomlinson
i'm having some friggin' pain in the *** problems getting my exchange server to start up. we keep having this problem, where the services (mta stacks, information store, routing engine) won't start, no matter how many times you try and start them. earlier today we had the issue, and we had to re-format our server to get it to work, and start from scratch with Active Directory.

so i came across this problem tonight, reformatted the server, installed DNS and made it a domain controller, got all my ip settings good, installed exchange 2003, and now it's doing it again right off the bat. i keep getting the "the dependency service or group failed to start." message. i double checked the dependencies and they're all started.

i have slept maybe a total of 8 hours combined these last 3 days, had to take night watch tonight, and i got people who are up my *** about getting our network back up, but i'm stumped and i am losing my cool. anyone got some ideas?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

Have you talked to Microsoft PSS? Its $245 per case, not per hour like some other vendors.. so you can keep the case open as long as neccessary until you find a valid working solution..
Old 06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wtomlinson
didn't check them cuz we're under the gun to get it up and running. i'm re-formatting another server as i'm typing this.
Almost every Exchange issue I have ever had, the error logs have pointed me in the right direction. There are tons of resources out on the Internet as well.

If all else fails, get a credit card and open an incident with MS. They will get it running.

Ryph
Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Launching!

fortunately i'm with the military so we get all kinds of tech support (although not all of it is worth a damn). i found a walkthrough from someone that saved it from communications school, tried following their steps, and it's up and running. i started formatting at around 11 pm, and finished around 3:30 to 4 am.

so now i'm just sitting here on a server i set up to test programs and network utilities on (and of course to browse LS1tech in the middle of the night). i haven't heard of PSS. i always just searched TechNet for my problems, that and google.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Launching!

on another note, i installed WSUS today to get some practice with it, and it installed fine but when i go to access the console, i keep getting an error like the page is down. checked the event viewer, and this is what i got:

The SelfUpdate Tree is not working. Clients may not be able to update to the latest WUA client software and communicate with the WSUS Server.

anybody had this problem?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Launching!

this is what i'm having the problems with. i can't get it to start so i can access my update console.
Attached Thumbnails i need someone who is good with networking-untitled.jpg  
Old 06-19-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

turn off the IIS service from admin tools.... a restart of the service usually craps out... to stop it and turn it back on.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Launching!

ok after some fiddling around, i got iis to start properly. now, when i go to start the WSUS console, it's telling me it can't connect to my ADMINSERVER because it may be using another port or a different Secure Sockets Layer setting. i can't figure out anything that's using that port.