Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick a new exhuast setup!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Help me pick a new exhuast setup!

I currently have my Loudmouth 1 setup with Pacesetter's and a TSP ORY. My car is cammed too. I love the loudness, but hate the rasp. (Especially with a stalled auto) I want to quiet it down by putting a Borla Xr-1, Sweet Thunder, Magnafllow, etc in place of the SLP resonator. But.... I want to get rid of the tips on m SLP exhaust too. I might buy the new Summit electric cutouts for the Y-pipe too, but that doesn't fix the loudness! lol

What's a good setup to quiet this down a little that won't **** off the neighbors? I leave very early in the morning!!

I've searched as always, but I'm lost. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris-
Old 06-20-2008, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with Magnaflow. Its pretty quiet but stock manifolds like I have so I imagine it would sound pretty good with headers and a cam.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have hooker headers with a catted y through a magnaflow cat back and it still is pretty quiet. You can cruise on the highway without being annoyed by a loud exhaust but when you get on it, it sounds sweet.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

any of the muffler choices would quiet the exhaust down considerably.

the borla is $$ but really good
the ST is good sounding but i think necks down to 2.5" inside the muffler on the 3" version
and the magnaflow is the best of both. i've got the 4x9 mufflers on my TDs setup with my cam. its as loud at cruise as most catbacks
Old 06-20-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

I'd keep what you have & just put a 4" cutout where the loudmouth resonator is, and then put the magnaflow 4x9, or the 6" powerflow in the rear. That will help out a ton over what you have.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NJNETSFAN
I have hooker headers with a catted y through a magnaflow cat back and it still is pretty quiet. You can cruise on the highway without being annoyed by a loud exhaust but when you get on it, it sounds sweet.
What Kind of cats and Y-pipe do you have?
Old 06-20-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Custom ORY with dual 3" in / single 4" out Flowmaster merge with 4" cutout and a 4" to 3" reducer that connects to a quiet catback like the stocker or a Hooker.

You may as well sell the loudmouth because its still gonna be loud no matter what muffler you replalce the rsonator with.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Banned

put a couple cats in there and see what happens.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I too am running a big cammed, stalled A4..

I am running Lanes 3in. True duals through a custom 3in. CME.. 18in. Pro Flow twisters for the rasp.. THERE IS NONE!!

Although Lane does not fab his TD's anymore, TSP makes a nice product.

Do it!! you'll thank yourself.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not cammed but I think magnaflow or Edelbrock sound sweet w/no rasp

Ive never heard duals on an fbody in person to be able to comment futher
all of the clips online apparently do not do it justice from what i'm told
Old 06-20-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Custom ORY with dual 3" in / single 4" out Flowmaster merge with 4" cutout and a 4" to 3" reducer that connects to a quiet catback like the stocker or a Hooker.

You may as well sell the loudmouth because its still gonna be loud no matter what muffler you replalce the rsonator with.
THat's exactly what i'm doin but w/ a magnaflow muffler. From what i hear the flowmaster merge colletor will help w/ the rasp.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

borlamouth
Old 06-21-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

I'm leaning towards the Magnaflow (Magnamouth??) lol, or the Borlamouth option with a 3" cut out right after the y-pipe. Then I'll just hack the exhaust right where it dumps over the axle and splits into two pipes. Time to use the Sawzall! The Borla is just realllly pricey!
Old 06-21-2008, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

hmmmm...im in the same boat as you. Except i dont have a cam (yet) but do want that rasp gone. I was also thinking about getting the borla also but just can seem to think that replacing a flow through resonator with another flow through bullet type muffler (the borla or magna) will quiet the car down?
Old 06-21-2008, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here for replacing one resonator for another straight through muffler. I've almost comvinced myself to replace my LMII with the straight 3" mid pipe SLP sells and put 6" mufflers right before the tips or leave the LMII in its place with the two 6" mufflers to quiet down the rasp and loudness.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more thing, does anyone have a clip with a Borla stinger in place of the LM?
Old 06-21-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

I agree with that everyone is saying, but I don't like the look of the quad tips on the SLP exhast on a Camaro.

I'm skeptical about paying 120+ for a Borla muffler in place of a resonator. I was thinking about the Moroso spiral flow to put in place of the resonator, but I've heard and read that it loses significant power. I guess that doesn't matter if I buy the electric cutout after the Y-pipe, right? lol
Old 06-21-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

SLP sells the new exhaust, which just adds 2 6" on each side, at the rear, to basically the same thing that you have right now. You can hear a clip on SLP's web site. I think it sounds good.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Black Sunshine/ 00SS
SLP sells the new exhaust, which just adds 2 6" on each side, at the rear, to basically the same thing that you have right now. You can hear a clip on SLP's web site. I think it sounds good.
Thanks, I was thinking of installing flowmaster 1 chambers just like the new SLP exhaust. Anyone know or a good sized muffler that would fit just before both tips on the Loudmouth set-up?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:50 AM
TECH Junkie

k this is what I did and have the exact same basic setup as you...

I had the SLP LM1 with LT's and ORY... I had also just installed heads and a cam... and yes, it was really loud with tons of nasty rasp.

What I did was modify the SLP LM1 by leaving the resonator, but also adding a magnaflow muffler in the rear, more or less where it is located when you buy the whole catback system... so I have both the LM resonator, and the Magnaflow muffler... then I got some Corsa tips welded onto the pipes where my old SLP tips used to be...

absolutely no more rasp... the car is MUCH quieter now, but has a completely different sound to it then what the LM had... at idle, it's a little louder than stock, but with the H/C, LT's and ORY you can definately tell the car means business even with the quiet idle... once I hit the throttle it screams FEED ME! Of course it's not as loud as the LM1 at open throttle, but the sound quality is MUCH better...

Personally, I like loud, and i miss the loudness a bit, but in exchange, I got a much better sounding overall exhaust...