Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!- Car wants to Rev on its own at times, WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!- Car wants to Rev on its own at times, WTF???

Just got my car back after adding pushrods, rockers, 92/92 combo, fuel pump and injectors. Had it retuned and dyno'd.

For some reason the car wants to rev itself to around 1500 RPM or so in Neutral while moving. Won't happen when I fire it up. Seems to be mostly when driving or pulling up to stop. I'll put it in neutral and the RPM's will stay around that 1500 RPM mark. I've been trying to put in a high gear as I slow down to get the RPM's down low before hitting neutral. This seems to work sometimes, but not all the time. I'll throw it in neutral with the RPM's around 1000 or less, then it'll rev up to 1500 sometimes.

I don't think there is a vacuum leak because it doesn't happen all the time. Also, no SES lights or anything coming up. My initial though was the new 92mm throttle body was sticking slightly open. This could be the problem, but had my mechanic look at it and he says the TB wasn't sticking.

This has been irritating me as you could imagine. I can't give it a rev or pull up to a stop without the RPM's hanging out around 1500. It's especially annoying when driving around a parking lot.

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue??? Please, any opinions would be great.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Doesnt the cam cause surging like you described? My car did that after the H/C job but after it was tuned it was all good.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Try snapping the throttle and seeing if it idles down, if not, try recalibrating the TPS.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by black_z
Try snapping the throttle and seeing if it idles down, if not, try recalibrating the TPS.
Not sure exactly what you mean by snapping the throttle. How do you recalibrate the TPS?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone have any idea about this?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

i got the same heads but milled with an MS4 and it is reading 7th cylinder misfire code and it won't idol down either unless i foot brake it
Old 06-25-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

I have no misfire codes.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, just tried recalibrating my TPS by turning key to on for 30 sec. then off. Unplugging TPS, turning key to on for 30 sec. then off. Replugging in TPS, turning key to on for 30 sec. then off. Then cranked it up. Idled around 1100 or so for a moment then began to slowly go back to normal idle range. Waited 5 min. then put A/C on full blast for anther 5 min.

Seemed to help a little, but still had some of the same issues. Especially while rolling in neutral, the RPM's don't want to drop to idle range. It is the inconsistancy that has me so confused.

Anyone?
Old 06-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I have your answer. Although i do not know your exact cam specs, but its due to your tune, in relation the cam.

When the car was tuned, its all in the lower RPM tables.

My car with the mods in sig is tuned pretty good and the cam is small enough not to be a pain to tweak.

In my situation I did have a 90mm TB that actually stuck, to verify if its physically sticking while the engine is running, you can physically shut the TB blade and slow down the RPMs.

When I got the new TB and the tune was freshly flashed. For the next 7-10 drive cycles, I will get an occasional RPM hang in neutral. It happened more often, then lessened, It also would do it when the engine wasnt in closed loop/operating temp.

If you have put on some siginifgant miles and have at least ran the car up to operating temp (at least 10 times) and its still doing it, the tuner needs to work on the driveability areas of the tune.

They can ball park it but unless its driven, data logged, they cant get it perfect.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

General Cam Specs: 222/224 .566/.568 (.599/.601 w/ the 1.8's)

I have had this car tuned a handful of times already. Even had another tuner from across the street from my tuner take a look. Tune feels pretty good. I'm just not 100% sure if it is tune related or TB related.

I actually had this issue at times before any major mods (only CAI and cat-back). The RPM's would "lazily" return to idle. This went away after I added the heads/cam/headers. Then I put on the 92/92, pushrods, rockers, and injectors. Now it got worse than it ever was in the past. I never had the RPM's go to idle, then slowly climb to around 1500 or so, like it will do now. Seems to go back to idle when I fully stop after a few seconds. Just very annoying and irritating pulling up to red light and having the engine reving at 1500 RPM. Plus car is loud and a gas eater, so any unnecessary engine rev is costing me $$$. Not my biggest worry, but with gas prices where they are at, every MPG helps.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dankl
For some reason the car wants to rev itself to around 1500 RPM or so in Neutral while moving. Won't happen when I fire it up. Seems to be mostly when driving or pulling up to stop. I'll put it in neutral and the RPM's will stay around that 1500 RPM mark. I've been trying to put in a high gear as I slow down to get the RPM's down low before hitting neutral. This seems to work sometimes, but not all the time. I'll throw it in neutral with the RPM's around 1000 or less, then it'll rev up to 1500 sometimes.

I don't think there is a vacuum leak because it doesn't happen all the time. Also, no SES lights or anything coming up. My initial though was the new 92mm throttle body was sticking slightly open. This could be the problem, but had my mechanic look at it and he says the TB wasn't sticking.

This has been irritating me as you could imagine. I can't give it a rev or pull up to a stop without the RPM's hanging out around 1500. It's especially annoying when driving around a parking lot.

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue??? Please, any opinions would be great.

Mine does the exact same thing If I totally back off the gas and hold OD i can maintain over 30mph Tough on the damn brakes too
Old 06-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had a intake/vaccume leak, it would never, ever drop to idle.

IF thats the case, its mechanical, if it does, then its tune.

I honestly would get a stock tune file, then have that tweaked.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Is there anyway to tell if my TB is getting stuck slightly open? Or slightly opening up?

This is such a pain in the ***. I'm going to the mechanic/tuner after work and I'll see if we can't resolve this issue.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is likely in the tune. There are several tables related throttle that are bypassed as soon as you get below a certain speed (max speed and throttle position for idle). A sure sign of this is idle "hangs" until you come to s stop and then drops. Have the tuner check those tables and you should be good to go.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems to be in the tune... Where are you located?
Old 06-26-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

^^^I am in South FL (Boca area).

DaddySS: That is exactly what happens. Idle hangs until I come to a complete stop.

Went to my mechanic/tuner after work yesterday. Had him drive it. He says it could be a little strong on the idle saver properties in the tune. Told me to drive the car for the weekend and see if the car "learns" the new tune better. I'll humor him, even though I'm pretty sure no "learning" will take place.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, it's not going to learn, those tables are set values and need to modified. It only takes a little tweaking to get it to work correctly.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

That is what I thought... Do you know the exact tables that would be most beneficial to look into and have tweaked?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

There some interdependencies so it depends:
Throttle Cracker
Throttle follower
Decay rates for both
Idle Learn
Base timing in P/N
Desired Airflow in gear

Post over in the PCM diag and tuning section for more help - there are guys there that are pretty sharp.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the help DaddySS.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!- Car wants to Rev on its own at times, WTF???