Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

WARNING - Rockauto is sending knock offs as brand name parts.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default WARNING - Rockauto is sending knock offs as brand name parts.

I ordered two ACDELCO struts (Driver/passanger). They arrived in ACDELCO boxes, but the parts themselves had completely different part numbers. To make matters worse, the instructions were for Gabriel struts (a completely different company. After some investigation, I confirmed that they are indeed from Gabriel.

I initiated a return, but I get to pay for return shipping.

I paid extra for ACDELCO Gold struts, but got Chinese knock off.

How the hell is this legal??
Old 05-08-2024, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 837 Likes on 640 Posts

It's possible they were a return. The previous purchaser would swap in the Gabriels and return them.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

when distributors and stores change brands, the new company typically buys all the existing inventory and reboxes it under their brand.

also, gabriel could have been subcontracted by ac delco to make the struts. ac delco doesn't actually make much of the stuff they sell under their brand.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you call rock auto first and ask? lol they are usually pretty good with issues and get resolved fast.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
when distributors and stores change brands, the new company typically buys all the existing inventory and reboxes it under their brand.

also, gabriel could have been subcontracted by ac delco to make the struts. ac delco doesn't actually make much of the stuff they sell under their brand.

Exactly this! I work with parts store and we do this all the time. Better pricing from x........ x buys ALL our existing y stock and then reboxes it in x's packagin
Old 05-09-2024, 08:07 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra

This happens, but AC Delco doesn't work like this. I understand that when GM and AC Delco re-box, they require that their part numbers be physically added to the parts, even if old supplier's part numbers remain. This sounds like a scam part.

Rock Auto is not a traditional seller! They sell parts on consignment from other wholesale businesses. They do not own the warehouses or the stock. They are just the retail face that moves the parts from other distributors: https://www.rockauto.com/help/?page=6 (Many of the items on Amazon.com are like this and many of those items come through with scams also!!!)

That all being said, I'm sure Rock Auto customer service would like to hear about this beyond a normal return transaction and would respond favorably, particularly if you have pictures. I have had quality problems with shipments before and they were all over it and their suppliers.
The following users liked this post:
Scarebird (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by therev
Did you call rock auto first and ask? lol they are usually pretty good with issues and get resolved fast.
What customer service? They have none.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jolly:
bbond105 (05-09-2024), EDS01SS (05-11-2024), Full Power (05-10-2024), themealonwheels (05-13-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolly
What customer service? They have none.
As far as I have seen, they don't even have a customer service number. They have you go through a maze of questions only to tell you that they'll take back the item, but you'll have to pay for shipping.
If someone has a direct number or an email, please share!
themealonwheels (05-13-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 193 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by joelx21
As far as I have seen, they don't even have a customer service number. They have you go through a maze of questions only to tell you that they'll take back the item, but you'll have to pay for shipping.
If someone has a direct number or an email, please share!

That's why those with prime accounts, will use rockauto for the part number, and amazon for the order. Amazon might be a bit more expensive in some cases, but they usually have the part, and if you have to return it - free, drop it off at kohls or something, no hassle, and you get your money back.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

I didn't have a problem dealing with them via email and found them responsive. As mentioned above pictures help tons and is one of the great things with email support. (You can't send pictures by phone.):

"…contact customer service about a problem with my order?
RockAuto is a completely online company. We do not have a customer service phone number to provide assistance over the phone. All of our customer service resources are available 24/7 online! Online self-service ensures consistent quality and keeps our prices low for you!

To check an order status, make a change, set up a return, or report a problem with your order, visit our Order Status & Returns page.

The information on our Help pages will answer all your questions related to finding parts, shipping, placing an order, and how to do something to your order after it's been placed. Navigate to the relevant section by clicking the appropriate tab at the top of this page. You can also search for an answer to your question using the search bar near the top of the page.

If you require assistance with an issue not included on the Help page you can send an email to our Customer Service department. The email address is found at the bottom of the “Help with Existing Orders” tab."
Old 05-10-2024, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

They had power window regulators under the part # for manual window regulators. I got some of my money (but not shipping) back. Unfortunately can only find used units for those now.
Old 05-10-2024, 02:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,665 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
They had power window regulators under the part # for manual window regulators. I got some of my money (but not shipping) back. Unfortunately can only find used units for those now.
A full refund (including shipping) is the only proper resolution if a business has shipped you the wrong part (such as directly providing an incorrect part number for the item, leading you to order the wrong part). They should also be paying for return shipping in that case.
wannafbody (05-11-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 837 Likes on 640 Posts

I've ordered brake pads from Rock Auto that were listed as private label and they've come in a Raybestos box. So sometimes you get a better product than listed.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

ac delco gold is a china rip off any way

read what rock auto has to say about ac delco gold

Quick Reply: WARNING - Rockauto is sending knock offs as brand name parts.