Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

KYB AGX Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default KYB AGX Install Question

For those of you that have these shocks installed, on the fronts do you have the shock mounted so the adjustment **** is facing in toward the center of the car or out toward the wheel? Just curious.

Last edited by Old Chevy Lover; 07-01-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just mounted my shocks yesterday and there was no way the **** would fit towards the inside due to the position of the lower mount bar. The mount bar needs to be slanted to fit properly in the lower control arm and when I tried to turn it with a screwdriver, it wouldn't budge.

My wheels are still off, maybe I'll take a picture later.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Teching In

That's why I was asking - the lower mount bar on the ones I have is slanted in such a way it aims the ***** to the inside.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Here's a pic. (Never mind the nasty sway bar link, they're going to be replaced as soon as my back feels better today. )

As you can see, I had to remark the shocks for the NAPA guys because I thought the ***** went to the inside, but as you can also see, the mounting bar is slanted so that I could only mount them this way.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine are mounted towards the inside (engine). I just roll the car onto some 2x4s and adjust them.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
I just mounted my shocks yesterday and there was no way the **** would fit towards the inside due to the position of the lower mount bar. The mount bar needs to be slanted to fit properly in the lower control arm and when I tried to turn it with a screwdriver, it wouldn't budge.

My wheels are still off, maybe I'll take a picture later.
Same here. there was no way the mounting pin would twist to let me mount them with the ***** facing outwards. No problem though, they're still easily adjustable with the wheels turned to full lock.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Just finished up with the little stuff on my KYB AGX install. Like mentioned above, even with the adjustment **** mounted toward the wheel, it's still easy to change simply by turning the wheels full lock. Actually the rears are harder to adjust than the fronts. I think Koni has the better idea with the **** on top of the strut.

Anywho, not to hijack a thread (but I guess I'm doing it anyway ), since everyone in this thread has them and can give a REAL opinion, how do you like them? What do you have them set on? I only went for a short test drive, went with 4 in front, 5 rear and I like them a LOT better than the stockers.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

would like to know as well. a friend a i both are looking for some new shocks and i think hese might be the ones we get
Old 07-03-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bad6as
would like to know as well. a friend a i both are looking for some new shocks and i think hese might be the ones we get
Unfortunately almost every thread regarding KYB AGX shocks turns into a "Koni is better" bash. I posted my comments in a new thread because I didn't want to hijack this one, but it didn't work out like I wanted. Anyway, here's a NEW thread, hopefully this one will get to where I want.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/948522-unofficial-kyb-agx-thread-again.html

If you don't feel like going to thread, here's a quick opinion...for the money, I'm satisfied and they're WAY better than stock.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Maybe I had a bad pair of fronts but I HATED those things
Old 07-05-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed mine today with Strano springs and there was no way to mount mine with the **** facing the wheel. The bar at the bottom is angled in a way as to make it only fit one way. It sounds like to me that maybe the early ones were the opposite way?

Anyway I broke one of the swaybar end links in the rear putting everything back together so it will be tomorrow before I finish. With the Stranos in the front and the stock springs in the rear the front set REAL REAL low...I am hoping once I get it back on the ground with the Stranos in the rear too it will bring the nose up a little (do to the angle...or rake.)
Old 07-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Teching In

I've got all four Strano's installed and the 2 front AGX's - it's definitely a big improvement over stock. I like the adjustability of the shocks and we all know the name on the springs speaks for itself. It is a great combination. I'll have the rear AGX's purchased and installed hopefully in the coming week. For anyone that is 'on the fence' as to whether or not you should go with these shocks - they are well worth the money.