Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Getting the Paint Runaround.... Input PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting the Paint Runaround.... Input PLEASE!

The story goes, that I have painted 7 different vehicles using O'Reilly's paint. I'm repainting my front bumper on my Trans am, not the funnest thing I have ever done.

I took my car in and had them Use their fancy gun to match the paint "taking weathering and fading into account"

After countless hours of sanding the intricate grooves I put on the base coat, thought it looked funny, I put clear on and i knew it was wrong. It had PEARL/METALLIC in it.

what would you do.
Ive talked to them and explained I'm out:
Primer
Primer activator
Base paint
Base activator
Clear
Clear activator.
sand paper, filters, and tape.

I'm supposed to go in tomorrow at 7:30am with my VIN, and paint code. Any experiences or advice???? I figure I will have to put another 8 hours into it, but I don't want to pay for more supplies.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Teching In

if the paint doesnt match, in my experience, they should make it right, especially since it is difficult to tell in some cases how close of a match it is or isnt before it is cleared.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

well thats my thought, a lot of colors look different under clear. I want to take the bumper to them to see it..... its not a shade tree job like I'm sure they deal with alot.

Ideally I would like them to take care of the whole deal, and deliver it back to me.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

They need to pay for your new supplies. I personally would make sure they compensated me for time as well.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i dont think they are going to do anything for you. You should have done a spray out card before spraying the entire bumper. The best person for matching can try to match their best, but sometimes its trial and error until you get the perfect match. especially when you dead panel. The only thing they are probably going to do is make you another batch of what you think matches this time.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pheonix
yeah i dont think they are going to do anything for you. You should have done a spray out card before spraying the entire bumper. The best person for matching can try to match their best, but sometimes its trial and error until you get the perfect match. especially when you dead panel. The only thing they are probably going to do is make you another batch of what you think matches this time.
he is right and all the camera does in conjunction with the paint code is make a blend-able match
Old 07-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Teching In

haulinss and phoenix knows exactly what they are talkiin about. They are on the money. I own the color eye or one type that takes a pic of paint and trys to match it to a blendable match to what is own your car. The key word is blendable . Also if your car has had some paint work on the rest of it from a different brand like ppg vs. sherwin williams could be one reason you are having trouble matching it. True the best solution is to spray a test panel and then have at least a semi expert painter look at it and decide also what it needs, like less blue or more metallic for example. Last thing on any heavy metallic is that the pressure you spray it at can change the color and its because the way the metallic lays out 12-15 psi is different from 28-30 psi. It doesnt make all the difference in the world but does have an effect. Just my 2 pennies.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

well... its not that it doesn't match... because it is the perfect Black. but it has metallic in it. the metallic is really hard to see in the black until you got some clear on, I spray smooth cardboard to get my gun tuned to where I want it to use as kindof my paint card.

Just an UPDATE:
I talked to them today and they will replace my paint, and he was going to have to talk to manager about primer and clear.

Last edited by chromeplated500; 07-02-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: updating.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Teching In

I have run across some jobs like that where the color looks black on the car and when you paint and clear it you can see the metallic plain as day. Id have to buff over the adjacent panels that met the piece i was painting to make it look right. If i didnt the metallic wont pop or show thru and look like it supposed to when it was new. Have you buffed the panels it meets?
Old 07-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Launching!

I can see why they would MAYBE give you some more clear, but why primer?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

You dont need to be reimbursed for the primer. All you have to do for the re-paint is scuff and spray. No priming should have to be done. Are you sure that your paint gun was properly cleaned before spraying. Or maybe the mixing tints could have been contaminated in one way or another with metallic paint, possibly metallic particles in paint can prior to adding colors.

Last edited by vetman1; 07-04-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

no the metallic looks kick ***.. I wish my whole car was the color... as far as the primer goes, I'm want to take it all back down and start from the bottom.
My thoughts being that it was having 2 paintjobs on this and adding a third would be pretty thick and lead to problems with clarcking when it is flexed.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Teching In

i can tell you that all they will do is remix the paint. I run the comercial dept. at the o'reily where i live. Have run into this before. We sell Dupont at the one i work at and Certain colors can be a pain to match. But as far as replacing any materials or anything else besides the paint you would be lucky if they did. Not meaning to sound like a dick but you should have sprayed a test piece to make sure it matched before spraying the bumper.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

they might give you new base but not much more than that , why did you have them shoot it why not use the paint code
Old 07-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Yeah why didn't you just go off the paint code and have them mix it that way, especially black. What brand of paint are we talking about (PPG, Dupont)? And you wont have any problems with cracking unless you hit something. What people dont understand is that paint is actually very flexable but even with striping it down to nothing and starting over that wont stop it from crackingif its hit. And are you sure your gun was cleaned out proplerly? Cause There have been a couple times where in a hurry at work I didn't clean my gun good enough and some metallic came out in a solid color I was spraying, and I know it wasn't the mix cause I mixed it.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Ok... so they replaced my paint and clearcoat. It was an employee mistake and they worked with me.

it was Dupont paint, my test shoot was a piece of steel i use to tune my gun into where I want it.

It was purely the mistake of adding mettalic to the paint that they messed up on.

the paint was the same shade, with some metallic that was only really evident to me once the clear was on.

I didn't feel comfortable putting on several more coats, As i took off the paint I found it had been fixed twice, repainted totally once, and my other coats.

I guess there is it, I appreciate the help, advice, options and converns.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow cant belive they helped ya out like that