Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C on 84 Chevy Gen III swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation A/C on 84 Chevy Gen III swap

Other issue is that I've been told a Gen III engine stock style A/C compressor will not work with a stock 84 style A/C system requiring an aftermarket (& expensive) sanden a/c compressor. Was told this is due to the new style comp being a variable temp style and the old style evaporator is a single cold system. Is this B.S??? I am already aware of the physical space issue and am actually planning on trying to notch the frame for clearance.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on whether the new compressor is fixed or variable displacement. If it's fixed, it should work fine.

If it's variable (LS1, LS2, not sure on trucks), it'll sorta work with your stock system, but it won't work right. If you have room for it, go with an R4 compressor with a modified S10 bracket. If you need something smaller, a Sanden SD5H14 #6629 is like $190.

Last edited by Rodder; 07-07-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Clarified
Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

The compressor from a '99 5.3L is not variable, it is your standard off/on type setup. FWIW...
Old 07-08-2008, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Do you know what years they were fixed-not variable (as in would work with a stock 84-87 evaporator & a/c setup. I've got a line on a complete 03-up 4.8 or 5.3 w/ all accessories. Trying to save as much as possible & if the stock compressor would work I'd b happy.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

99-04 for sure are fixed displacement but I have used variable displacement oem gm compressors in an externally cycled installation and they cooled fine. All of the trucks and cars use an orifice tube for metering so the displacement is of no consequence when used with a factory style metering device and evaporator setup. When you start getting into aftermarket units it's a whole new can of worms.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not trying to hijack your thread but,the factory a/c on your '84 and my '89 will be the same correct?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, the 84 and 89 use the same A/C system.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

So basically if I can physically fit the compressor (GEN III) between the framerails it should work with the stock A/C system on the truck?
Old 07-10-2008, 12:42 AM

yes, but you will have to have new custom A/C lines made.....and that can be expensive....I think it cost me almost $400
Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

I had unassembled hoses with my Vintage Air kit. It cost me $25 (plus shipping) to have a sensor port welded on one of the hoses and and both hoses crimped.

Bulk barrier hose is like $2/ft, and fittings are like $2 to $10 depending on the fitting.

What kind of gold fittings and titanium-braided hoses cost $400?
Old 07-11-2008, 12:40 AM

Aluminum tubing. I wanted the lines made out of aluminum tube so that I would not have to worry about leaks (all rubber/flexible A/C barrier hoses leak through the pores in them) and because they had to be run across the top of my radiator so if they were rubber the added diameter would not really fit. The connections for the condenser are on the drivers side of my car and all the rest of the A/C stuff is on the passenger side.

I could only find 1 place that said they could run it in aluminum tube and then use a couple of 1' rubber flexible connections. When I got the estimate he was only a little higher than me buying the stuff to do it all in rubber hose. It turned into a nightmare. Turns out that the escalade compressor that I got uses a non-standard size hose.....and there are no other size connections available to bolt onto it but the factory ones. So he had to weld up an adapter to make it work. When all was said and done I think it was almost double the estimate .

I just dug out the bill and I was wrong, it was almost $300 not almost 400. I think that when I looked at it he estimated around 150 to do it in aluminum. The biggest problem was that the low pressure hose on my compressor was 3/4" and I could not find anyone who stocked/made 3/4" hose. Everyone said the biggest size available was 5/8" hose.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

My rubber lines are a little less than 2ft each--the VA kit came with aluminum lines for the condensor and dryer, so the only line that is all-rubber is the compressor suction line. My compressor discharge line basically runs to the bottom of the core support where it hooks to a hard line.

Bummer about the Escalade fittings. If you had to weld up a custom fitting, why didn't you go ahead and convert it down to a stanadard size? No point in running a huge (#14?) hose if the evaporator outlet is #10 or #12.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:57 PM

The large low pressure hose did get converted down to a normal 5/8" hose. But it was still expensive to have it done, the labor rates were not out of line, but paying for someone else to do anything custom always costs $$$$$$. I didn`t have the tools necessary to run it in aluminum tube so I had to pay to have someone else do it. The high pressure aluminum line ended up being about 4 feet (it had to run up from the condensor, across the radiator shrowd, and then back down the other side to the AC comp) + a foot or so of rubber flexible connection. And the low pressure line was about 18".

Quick Reply: A/C on 84 Chevy Gen III swap