Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock CME Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock CME Question

I have decided to put an exhaust on my car since it sounds like crap from the factory(02 SS with SLP CME Oval exhaust). I want to go with american racing headers and catted y pipe. I want to use the stock CME oval tips since i like the way they look. Is there a system that will bolt up to the american racing system and work with the stock exhaust tips. I am also looking for a setup that is loud, but not raspy. Also I do not want to molest the car or my factory exhaust (so I can return to stock if wanted) since the car only has 1,600 miles on it. I have done quite a bit of reading and searching, but with no concrete answers as of yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

GMMG..look no further. There are many people on this board with the gmmg/cme setup, including myself.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get nearly ANY exhaust system to work with the CME tips...I even have over the axle true duals with bullet mufflers that go into my stock CME tips. Just pick an exhaust system you like sound-wise, go to a reputable muffler shop, and have them make it work.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

My car has the factory CME...I just put on hooker long tube headers with a pacesetter Y pipe...it was a direct bolt up

I have some racing video's where you can hear the sound...it has a different, good, loud sound WOT, and just cruising around, you can barely hear the exhaust tone in the cabin until 2600rpms +

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6gc_1xEl3z4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DIIaFoGtjcs
Old 07-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
You can get nearly ANY exhaust system to work with the CME tips...I even have over the axle true duals with bullet mufflers that go into my stock CME tips. Just pick an exhaust system you like sound-wise, go to a reputable muffler shop, and have them make it work.
I was really looking for a bolt on system, since I wanted to install the system myself. I really do not want anyone else touching my car except me. I guess I am just **** about it.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
My car has the factory CME...I just put on hooker long tube headers with a pacesetter Y pipe...it was a direct bolt up

I have some racing video's where you can hear the sound...it has a different, good, loud sound WOT, and just cruising around, you can barely hear the exhaust tone in the cabin until 2600rpms +

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6gc_1xEl3z4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DIIaFoGtjcs

that sounds good, is that just the stock muffler with headers and an ory?
Old 07-06-2008, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by DURAMAXSP33D
Here's the same muffler you have, heard from outside the car, with JetHot longtubes and ORY...(baby cam as well so it may be a little deeper than a stocker)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgzLu59a5Q

I have regular dual/dual style tips, but same muffler.

There is NO RASP whatsoever and it's just loud enough IMHO...
FWIW, I had tried a Borla adjustable and a Magnaflow catback before settling on an SLP muffler. Very glad that I did. The other two both had that nasty sounding rasp at any transition from cruising rpm to anything even resembling acceleration.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in the middle of the same project right now. Still got to wet sand alot so i can get it polished up. Obviously not using the truck tips Should be nice and shiney when I get done.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Here's the same muffler you have, heard from outside the car, with JetHot longtubes and ORY...(baby cam as well so it may be a little deeper than a stocker)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgzLu59a5Q

I have regular dual/dual style tips, but same muffler.

There is NO RASP whatsoever and it's just loud enough IMHO...
FWIW, I had tried a Borla adjustable and a Magnaflow catback before settling on an SLP muffler. Very glad that I did. The other two both had that nasty sounding rasp at any transition from cruising rpm to anything even resembling acceleration.

That sounds good, much better than stock
Old 07-06-2008, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

well, its the stock SLP CME and muffler, 3" SLP stock catback with my longtubes and ORY.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

I'm guessing you decided to keep the SS after all?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Not real sure to be honest with you. No one has made an offer on it as of yet, but it is still for sale. I am just doing some research for this winter, when I am board. I'm just looking for a few mods that I wont have to molest the car at all. Lets face it, the thing is really quiet from the factory.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
well, its the stock SLP CME and muffler, 3" SLP stock catback with my longtubes and ORY.
thats my vote.

actually, if the car has 1600 miles, i wouldnt touch it.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Not real sure to be honest with you. No one has made an offer on it as of yet, but it is still for sale. I am just doing some research for this winter, when I am board. I'm just looking for a few mods that I wont have to molest the car at all. Lets face it, the thing is really quiet from the factory.
After seeing my black 02 ss again this weekend at the track i want yours BAD, real BAD. I did just trade my Honda and picked up a 08 GXP though, getting your car would've meant also buying a DD. Summer school interfered with my financial plans, but we'll see I might shoot you an offer towards the end of the summer.

/hijack.

I agree what the guy above me said, with the low mileage I'd leave her stock. If I do pick her up I'd want her unmolested
Old 07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Red03GT
After seeing my black 02 ss again this weekend at the track i want yours BAD, real BAD. I did just trade my Honda and picked up a 08 GXP though, getting your car would've meant also buying a DD. Summer school interfered with my financial plans, but we'll see I might shoot you an offer towards the end of the summer.

/hijack.

I agree what the guy above me said, with the low mileage I'd leave her stock. If I do pick her up I'd want her unmolested

yeah i know. i am pretty torn btw what to do. If i ever put anything on it; it would certinely never be anything that is not 100% reversible.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Will the GMMG system bolt up to the stock SLP CME that is on my car?