Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS kit: Spark Plug Gap and detonation/gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default APS kit: Spark Plug Gap and detonation/gas mileage

My last set-up spiked at 18psi and settled at 15psi. I ran a TR6 gapped at .28 because the tuner said it could blow the spark out. I did some reading when I did a search on this today and one guy said the tighter the gap, the hotter the spark but he also said that it increased the chances of detonation. Is this true??? He also said that the wider the gape, the less chance of detonation but there is an increased chance or fouling the plug when running rich. True? Why?

If a narrower gap truly increases the odds of the motor detonating, wouldn't it be smarter to run a wider gap like .35 and risk blowing out the spark or fouling a plug versus detonation?? Blowing out the spark plug or fouling it doesn't hurt the motor, it just kills performance right?

I am going to run TR6's again this time. I'm only wanting to make 650-675rwhp on pump only, no meth. I'm thinking it will take about 12-14psi. I already gapped the plugs at .28. Should I gap them at .32-.35 instead? And would it be too much stress on the tips to bend them back to .35 since I already gapped them at .28?

Also, does the gap have any corrolation with reduced gas mileage? Anyone noticed reduced gas mileage with a more narrow gap? And isn't the car suppossed to idle better and drive better with a wider gap?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would gap them at .030 but dont use the TR6 go with the NGK 8 the stock number is 7317 its alot cooler plug and will give you a better throttle response and idle quality plus with the 8 NGK says you can run high boost and it shouldnt detonate with the right tune ofcourse i put them in mine for a piece of mind of not worry about detonation
Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a .20 gap but I'm also running about 30 psi and it will blow the spark out......about .20-.25 should be ok for you.......don't worry about detonation because of your spark gap.....you really should be running race gas and don't let A/F go above 11.3- 11.5 with pump gas......race gas has got a bit more give, but not much..
Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

TR6 .030 here...
Old 07-09-2008, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by witry
i would gap them at .030 but dont use the TR6 go with the NGK 8 the stock number is 7317 its alot cooler plug and will give you a better throttle response and idle quality plus with the 8 NGK says you can run high boost and it shouldnt detonate with the right tune ofcourse i put them in mine for a piece of mind of not worry about detonation
What?? Thats the reverse of what I've always been told. I thought there was a big downfall to running a colder plug; that it fouled sooner/easier, and you only wanted to run a step colder if you really needed it (I don't know if my power level requires it). I thought colder plugs actually reduced idle quality and throttle response and you were suppossed to run as hot a plug as you can without crossing the line. Seems right actually, otherwise everyone would run a TR-8 instead of TR6 and TR55 right? If this is true, why is the TR6 more popular instead of the TR8? News to me....
Old 07-09-2008, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well what determines the heat range of a plug is how far the ceramic extends or is recessed pass the threads of the plug, not the gap, I also was running TR6 with 12-14lbs of boost @ 028 gap, if I ran 032, It would blow out the spark..
Old 07-09-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have no issues with my having NGK 8 in it ir runs smoother with thouse then the tr55 or tr6 and no issues with having fouling at all my last TA had then for like 2 years and they never gave me an issue
Old 07-09-2008, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Lots of the cold fouling problems relate to poor ignition systems, and dodgy old carbed engines running rich mixtures.

Dont forget we now have the ability to run "clean" AFR's most of the time, and the LS1 coils provide BIG sparks.

Ive been running NGK Iridium 8's for 6 months now, and zero fouling related issues.

Quick Reply: APS kit: Spark Plug Gap and detonation/gas mileage