Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install in progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header install in progress

dang, why wont the drivers side get up in there???? How high off the ground does the car need to be anyway???? passenger side went up like a slice of strawberry cheese cake. drivers side is being a homo !!! I remover the oil filter because i thought thats what it was hitting on, it helped a little but still nothing. I guess im gonna have to find another floor jack bigger than the one we have now. I'll try it again tomorrow *end rant*

p.s. a bolt broke off in the head when we were removing the manifolds!! yay.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have that tab sticking out on the back of your block? That is what kept my header from going in. I didn't have anything to cut it down with, so I spent an hour filing it down with a file. I finally was able to squeeze it buy. I broke off a bolt after the headers were on, I've been driving on it for probably a year now...I think its still sealed lol.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by motoo344
Do you have that tab sticking out on the back of your block? That is what kept my header from going in. I didn't have anything to cut it down with, so I spent an hour filing it down with a file. I finally was able to squeeze it buy. I broke off a bolt after the headers were on, I've been driving on it for probably a year now...I think its still sealed lol.
I dont know what this tab thing looks like or where it is. I just dont think i can get the right angle is all.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is the tab, this is what prevented me from getting in the angle I needed. I am sure it can go in without any modification, I guess i did not have the car high enough.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

Get it to the point where you know it should be fitting. Foot on the bottom.. friend pulling from top, mine slid right in.

Didn't wanna grind down or remove steering knuckle went in like pass. side with that method

you have pacesetters I assume
Old 07-11-2008, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

ok, i recognize that tab. I dont think its in the way at the moment just cause it hasnt reached that point yet lol. Yeah my dad was pulling from up top. I have like a 2 ton jack under it it with boards on top of that lol. Nope I have qtp's. I thought these went in easy but apparantly im doing something wrong.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm. Its been a while since I installed the headers. I remember it was a pain. If we angled it one way it hit the tab and the other way it hit the k member. I got it to the point were it got stuck on the tab, I guess I could have forced it on, but that tab was digging into the header, so I rounded it off.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

I guess tomorrow I'll try and find a way to get it higher off the ground and see how much that helps. I dont know what we have here to grind that tab off if it ends up getting in the way. Oh well tomorrow is a new day, good thing im in no hurry lol.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dang I never knew putting headers on would be a hassle... I plan on getting some soon.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by frankmarroquin
Dang I never knew putting headers on would be a hassle... I plan on getting some soon.
well the passenger side was EASY, drivers side is just bieng difficult. Dont let this change your mind, in the end it will be worth it.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSmoken
well the passenger side was EASY, drivers side is just bieng difficult. Dont let this change your mind, in the end it will be worth it.
Ya, the passenger side was real easy, kind of ironic since its so cramped on that side. I think if you can get the car high enough it just slides in, but I'm not 100% sure. I could not get the car up high enough safely to put it in. Did you get the header on yet?
Old 07-12-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine slid right in we took the stearing shaft off though for some more room and it was about 2 feet off the ground
Old 07-12-2008, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

ok got em on. We had to use a hammer n beat on the floor of the car lol. Whatever works I guess. Now the starter is being gay and doesn't wanna go back on. ( I'm putting a new converter in also)
Old 07-14-2008, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

alright, I got a quote for a custom y pipe. He said $125 to make it. He also said if he welded them the collectors would end up cracking. Is this true ??? Also is this a decent price for a custom y pipe ??? thanks guys.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmoken
alright, I got a quote for a custom y pipe. He said $125 to make it. He also said if he welded them the collectors would end up cracking. Is this true ??? Also is this a decent price for a custom y pipe ??? thanks guys.
New converter? Hmm wanna sell your old one?
Old 07-14-2008, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99NMB
New converter? Hmm wanna sell your old one?
well im gonna send it back to get a refresh before I sell it to assure everything is good. But then yes.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe he means the vibrations of the engine would over time lead to cracking from the exhaust constantly moving and flexing. Truthfully, I've used nice Walker bandclamps (both the butt-joint and lap-joint styles) with no problems and they don't crush the pipes like Accuseals (or whatever they're called) do. They conform to the shape of the pipes and have some sticky 'ish that melts into little spots that could form leaks and seals the joint up really nice. They're like $10 a pop from Summit.

Maybe give them a thought...
Old 07-14-2008, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by radz282003
Maybe he means the vibrations of the engine would over time lead to cracking from the exhaust constantly moving and flexing. Truthfully, I've used nice Walker bandclamps (both the butt-joint and lap-joint styles) with no problems and they don't crush the pipes like Accuseals (or whatever they're called) do. They conform to the shape of the pipes and have some sticky 'ish that melts into little spots that could form leaks and seals the joint up really nice. They're like $10 a pop from Summit.

Maybe give them a thought...
Yeah that could be i guess. Well I took it back up there and just had him weld it on anyways. I guess I'll take a look at it when hes done and see if i wanna put those clamps on there too.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

FYI, QTP + SLP LM = stinkin loud lol !!!