Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakes

My right rear for some reason started leaking fluid around where it connects to the caliper. So i took it off cleaned it and put it all back together but i lost most of my fluid during the procedure. Now my brake light is on. What do i do? I already refilled the reseivor. Will bleeding them make it go away?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Choppers
My right rear for some reason started leaking fluid around where it connects to the caliper. So i took it off cleaned it and put it all back together but i lost most of my fluid during the procedure. Now my brake light is on. What do i do? I already refilled the reseivor. Will bleeding them make it go away?
If you disconnected the brake line you probably have air in your lines now. Didn't think that would cause a brake light to come on though. I'd bleed the brakes.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

i just did and mysteriously enough there wasn't hardly no air in the lines. also there is brake pressure when the car is off and when ou crank the car up there is no brakes.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

i just did and mysteriously enough there wasn't hardly no air in the lines. also there is brake pressure when the car is off and when ou crank the car up there is no brakes.
If you have no brakes when you turn on the car, then you still have air in the lines. You didn't take off the calipers or anything did you?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

no i took the line off of one caliper because it was leaking at the lines, so i cleaned them off and put them bhack on it. ok now i have brakes we bleed them forever but they are not very strong. they are really weak. any ideas on why now?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

no i took the line off of one caliper because it was leaking at the lines, so i cleaned them off and put them bhack on it. ok now i have brakes we bleed them forever but they are not very strong. they are really weak. any ideas on why now?
is the line still good? Sounds like it's getting air, weak brakes means air in the lines.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

guess i'll go back out there and bleed all the brakes again. maybe the lines have just went bad. does that ever happed?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Did you replace the copper gasket/washer when you took the line off?? Not recommended to reuse the old one, maybe it isn't sealing quite right...just a thought.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

My guess is you still have air in the lines. I would start by setting a drain pan under the right rear and just open the bleeder. Let gravity bleed the brakes for you. You can leave it alone, but check the brake fluid often to make sure the resevoir doesn't go dry. Keep letting it bleed itself for a long while, then try pressure bleeding again. I never use the three pump and hold method, I always just have someone press the brake and hold then open the bleeder. Close the bleeder and have them let off the brakes. You might want to bleed the left side too, because you might have gotten air all the way up to where the two lines meet.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

i got it all figured out guys. there was just to much air in the lines. yea i had someone sit in the car and pump the brakes and hold in while i opened the bleeder valve. but thanks again guys.