Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safest bottle location in case of crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safest bottle location in case of crash

I hesitate between mounting my bottle on the hump between the rear seats, or in the spare. My main concern is safety in case of an accident. This has been discussed at least once before but I would like to hear more opinions, as I feel it is an important issue.

I'm afraid that if the car gets hit hard on the rear passenger side, the bottle valve could break, or worse the bottle itself could rip open (is that possible, or are bottle too sturdy for that to happen?). The fact that the rear quarters sheet metal is so thin doesn't reassure me. Between the rear seats, however, I feel this would be likely to happen (the center of the car is more protected).

Also, how well do you think those standard metal straps (I have the ones from HSW) would hold the bottle down in case of an accident? I'm afraid that, with the force of the shock, the bottle could escape from the straps and become a lethal projectile. In that respect, wouldn't the spare be the safest location?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mine mounted between the rear seats...but I seriously doubt you have anything to really worry about. As long as the mounts are bolted down correctly it won't be a projectile.. And it takes a lot of force to rupture the bottle..
Old 07-21-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think youd need pressure in the bottle for anything serious to happen? correct?
anyways, you shuoldnt even THINK about crashing.. thats just bad karma right there man! think positive!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Let me tell you my opinion which comes from first hand experience, the bottle between the seats has proven its self to be safe for ME during a collision. I had a full 15# bottle strapped in on a set of custom mounts I made for the hump. The car rolled and ended up on its roof but the bottle stayed secure. heres a pic of how it was mounted:

the U shaped pieces were only held in place by self tapping screws, I'll admit it wasn't the best way to mount but it worked. A mount like nitrous outlet sells for the rear seat bolted into place would be even stronger then my setup was, I just wanted to show you you have nothing to be worried about.

Last edited by 69_YENKO; 07-21-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I'm gonna strap the bottle between the rear seats.

And I agree about the bad karma, I'm gonna stop worrying about it!
Old 07-22-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Mine feels pretty safe under my rear right hatch speaker panel (where the spare tire normally is)
Old 07-22-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i also wrecked an fbody with a bottle on the hump. out of the passenger compartment is probably a better idea though. i'd hate to see that thing come loose and hit someone.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
i also wrecked an fbody with a bottle on the hump. out of the passenger compartment is probably a better idea though. i'd hate to see that thing come loose and hit someone.
I agree, for all out safety the rear hatch wins but it being on the hump shouldn't scare anyone away from doing it. it has just as much of a chance of breaking from the rear mount probably more in a rear end collision.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

I'd say it'd be safest in a crash if it were on the hump in between the rear seats. My logic being: It's pretty much in the center of the car. Secure it well. I couldn't see any problems. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I've fully opened a bottle and let it go on accident before. Not as bad as you might expect. As far as mounting it, I would mount it in the trunk/spare tire area. If the thing does become loose, it'll only hit the metal and not you.