Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ-4 Crankcase venting

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LQ-4 Crankcase venting

I have an LQ-4 that is carbed. I currently have the Rt valve cover vent to the carb vacuum port(under the front bowl) and the Lt valve cover vent to a small K&N style breather. This is the fresh air side to pull from. I just got the car running so I have no road time on it yet. Also the hose from the Rt valve cover has a small restrictor to help it from pulling oil out of the motor. Any thoughts if this will be sufficient? I wish when I had the motor apart that I has installed a PVC in the valley plate. Still could but would have to pull the intake and all the other parts to take it out. Hope this will work for now.Just want to make sure the pressure is kept at bay internally. Thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

I didn't want any oil going in my intake at all so I am running the same small breather on the driverside that you are, but then I modified my oil fill cap with a breather. I have nothing running to the carb.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

So this set-up seems to work good for your application?? I also thought of changing the oil filler cap to a vented type. I may try this also. What did you do with the Rt valve cover vent?? Just plug it?? Thanks

What does your car run in the 1/4?

Last edited by bluethunder364; 07-21-2008 at 09:36 AM. Reason: **
Old 07-21-2008, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

On the passenger side I turned the 2 90* tubes toward each other and just ran a hose between them. Depending on the condition of your engine you will be fine just venting the crankcase pressure through filters. If the engine as alot of blow by though the filters may become saturated with oil and seep or maybe even make a mess if there is alot of blow by. If it is healthy I wouldn't worry to much though.

I have not been able to make it to the track yet. I am really hoping that it will be in the low 11 high 10 range on the motor.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for sharing the info. My 6.0 was from a wrecked truck with 5K miles on it. Looked brand new inside when I tore it down. I think I'll try just venting through the breathers and not the carb to start with. I wasn't sure if that would be enough. Good luck at the track when you get the chance
Old 07-21-2008, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

i run a pcv valve in the drivers side valve cover and a breather on the pass valve cover, you should have a pcv system hooked up to keep fresh air circulating through your engine. it will help keep your oil cleaner longer
Old 07-21-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will have to pull the v-cover off and drill a hole in the rear to accept a rubber grommet for the pcv to fit into. Should be ok with that. My motor is a 2006 so I only have the oil filler cap and the front valve cover vent that goes to the (I think) throttle body as part of the air circulation system. Thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a breather on my Oil fill cap, then a PCV on my drivers side. Ive always thought the intake created a bit of vacuum for the PCV valve and that was suppost to be good for hte motor?

Anywho, ive got an air-water separator, a smaller one, meant for a air compresor, im going to be seeing how i can fit it into my PCV hose so that no oil goes into my intake.

I see no reason why it wont work, keeping my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: LQ-4 Crankcase venting