Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Cd player will NOT Turn off .Very Unique Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cd player will NOT Turn off .Very Unique Problem

Ok so i have had the car for 2-3 years and had the Pioneer Cd player in it that long .Just a plain jane cd player with Stock speakers.

Today i go to work and all is well .and i come out at lunch to sit in the car and listen to the radio like always.So i get in turn the key to acc and eat.Well when it is time to go in i pull the key out and open the door and this usually shuts the cd player off .

Well today it didn't work with the keys in my hand and door open it was still playing and the door buzzer was not Sounding off either.Also when i went to arm the alarm i only got one beep from the horn were as it use to beep twice.

But i can Take the battery cable loose for a few mins hook it back up and it works for around 5 mins then does it again.

It just will not shut its self off and go to black screen like it is suppose to and the Door buzzer does not sound .Could this be a relay somewhere ,In the Column what .I am worried about killing the battery or alt or worse having a fire so please help
Old 07-21-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

might be the door pin. Try opening and closing the door a few times, Check door pin.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

i tied to close and open it a few times still no luck.By door pin are you talking about the pin on the PCM or the Electrial pin on the actually door
Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

electrical pin on the inside of the door jamb (for most f-bodys).
Old 07-22-2008, 06:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Check if it shuts off when you open the passenger door. If so then the door switch on the driver's door is probably the problem. There is no pin switch on 98+ f-bodies - the door switch is mounted to the latch mechanism in the door. Sometimes they get gummed up with road grime so a good shot of spray contact cleaner may solve the problem. Otherwise you might have to replace the switch.

If it doesn't work with the passenger's door then you're probably looking at a bad BCM. The BCM controls the retained accessory power (RAP) circuit which allows the radio and windows to continue working after the car is shut off until a door is opened. The radio should still shut off after about 10 minutes because of the built-in battery protection. Unfortunately, that is also controlled by the BCM so it's possible that a bad BCM would prevent that from working as well.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Where exactly in the door is this switch? Is it mounted to the latch mechanism that connects to the door handle? Can it be reached with the contact cleaner through the opening on the side of the door or does the door panel need to be removed?
Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Bump.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

hmmm... i'm not sure.. but i would try some electrical cleaner, or some brake clean (being careful of overspray)
Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

For full access you need to remove the inside trim panel but you can use the spray cleaner from the outside. Just open the door and give the area around the latch mechanism a good spray of contact cleaner (or TV tuner cleaner...even WD40 if that's all you've got) - brake cleaner is NOT recommended because it will make a hell of a mess of your paint.