Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What pinion angle for UMI torque arm on Strano-lowered Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What pinion angle for UMI torque arm on Strano-lowered Z28?

I'm thinking of getting the UMI adjustable torque arm (tranny mounted) for my '99 Z28, which is lowered with Strano springs (it's not a radical drop, maybe about 1.3" or 1.5").

From what I've read, I need an adjustable torque arm if my car is lowered, is that correct?

Also: what is the right pinion angle for a car lowered like mine?
Old 07-24-2008, 07:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd assume -2 like any other car but not sure.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The pinion angle will vary slightly depending on the vehicle and whether it is a auto or manual and also what rear end is installed. But a -2 degree setting is usually the best compromise. Right now with the springs your driveline angle is positive and is most likely causing some poor traction.

If I can help anymore please ask. thank you!

Ryan
Old 07-25-2008, 02:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I thought -2 degree was for a stock height car, so surely I should set if differently now that I have Strano springs, no?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, you really want the pinion angle to be (-)2 degrees, whatever the ride height of the car. Lowering the car changes this angle, and the adjustable torque arm allows you to return it to (-)2.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Ideally, you want the pinion angle to be at 0 degrees WHILE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD. The best way to achieve this in a torque arm car with poly bushings is to set the pinion angle at -2 degrees while the car is static. This is true for a lowered car also.

When you are ready to set the pinion angle, feel free to view the BMR 3-minute video on setting the pinion angle on an F-Body car. This video will help you whether you use a BMR torque arm or one by another manufacturer. The video is located on the front page of our website :

www.bmrfabrication.com

Good Luck!!

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 07-25-2008, 11:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Every car is different to start with. Stock they are around 0, but that's not set in stone. The fact that every car is different means there is no absolute. Hell, you can't even get most folks to agree on how to measure pinion angle. And what's more is I can't think of a time I've been in a car that was lowered and had the pinion angle messed up to the point it actually caused a u-joint bind just from the lowering.

Cars most likely to have issues from lowering are the slammed ones. Sportlines, Intrax type springs. Or those that have adjustable TA's and folks have no idea on how to set them. In fact, unless there is a reason to change the TA, like the car wheelhops, or brake-hops, or the stock one is fractured--which comes from one or both of the things I mentioned--I generally don't do one and leave the GM one there.

You're asking what the "correct" pinion angle is for my springs. The question has nothing to do with the srpings, it has to do due with the angle (regardless of springs), and I don't know you'll get a consensus. The better located the axle is in regards to resisting rotation, the less negative angle you need. Leaf spring cars need a lot more negative pinion angle because the leaf springs wind up a lot more than a properly designed TA or control arm car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-25-2008, 11:39 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Cars most likely to have issues from lowering are the slammed ones. Sportlines, Intrax type springs. Or those that have adjustable TA's and folks have no idea on how to set them.
I agree with Sam. Many F-Body enthusiasts do not know how to set the pinion angle with an adjustable torque arm. That's why BMR recorded the video and released it to the LSx community free of charge. The video is helpful even if another manufacturers torque arm is purchased.

The intention was for this to be our contribution to the entire F-Body community, not just for BMR customers.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 07-25-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
I agree with Sam. Many F-Body enthusiasts do not know how to set the pinion angle with an adjustable torque arm. That's why BMR recorded the video and released it to the LSx community free of charge. The video is helpful even if another manufacturers torque arm is purchased.

The intention was for this to be our contribution to the entire F-Body community, not just for BMR customers.

Thanks, guys, as it's a very good video. HOWEVER, if I remember correctly, as I just referred back to that video a couple of days ago, the narrator says that the stock torque arm provides (-)2 degrees of pinion angle....doesn't he??
Old 07-26-2008, 03:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the explanation, I understand much better now

And that video is neat!

Last edited by mindreaper; 07-26-2008 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Thanks, guys, as it's a very good video. HOWEVER, if I remember correctly, as I just referred back to that video a couple of days ago, the narrator says that the stock torque arm provides (-)2 degrees of pinion angle....doesn't he??
You don't listen very well, huh?
"The non-adjustable (BMR torque arm) is factory preset with a -2 degree pinion angle at factory ride height." - Quote from the BMR video

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 08-06-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You don't listen very well, huh? "The non-adjustable (BMR torque arm) is factory preset with a -2 degree pinion angle at factory ride height."

Jon
I think you don't listen very well. Lol. He's asking about the stock torque arm, not the UMI non adj. He obviously has an UMI adj one and wants the same pa as the stocker. Which I myself am unsure of.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
the narrator says that the stock torque arm provides (-)2 degrees of pinion angle....doesn't he??
No, he doesn't.

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
I think you don't listen very well. Lol. He's asking about the stock torque arm, not the UMI non adj. He obviously has an UMI adj one and wants the same pa as the stocker. Which I myself am unsure of.
I edited my original post so you can understand it better.

And if you want to know what the stock one is just read some of the other posts in this thread. The stock one is designed with 0 degrees of pinion angle in mind. Now due to tolerances in the manufacturing process that may not always be entirely accurate. And with the stock stamped steel torque arm under load it's likely to be way positive because it allows so much more flexing than the aftermarket pieces.

Jon

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 08-06-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

No, he doesn't.

I edited my original post so you can understand it better.

And if you want to know what the stock one is just read some of the other posts in this thread. The stock one is designed with 0 degrees of pinion angle in mind. Now due to tolerances in the manufacturing process that may not always be entirely accurate. And with the stock stamped steel torque arm under load it's likely to be way positive because it allows so much more flexing than the aftermarket pieces.

Jon
You need meds or somethin man. Idiot? I noticed you edited your post. Kettle, you're black.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I wrote that, then I thought well maybe he just didn't understand that I was quoting that video guy in my post. And it still appears that you don't get it.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

I wrote that, then I thought well maybe he just didn't understand that I was quoting that video guy in my post. And it still appears that you don't get it.
I do get it. No I didn't understand in your 1st post you were Quoting the vid. You were however being kind of a dueschbag tho to him tho.

Lighten up.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

You don't listen very well, huh?

PARDON ME, hotshot. Let me apologize for my mis-cue. The narrator of the video has the BMR adjustable bar in his hand when he says "The non-adjustable bar is set a (-)2 degrees at the factory". HOWEVER, what's in the picture??? The "factory", non adjustable, GM panhard bar.

I'm SORRY....for my 56 year old mind, the "word" factory being said, and the "image" of the factory bar on the video screen was a little confusing.....
Old 08-07-2008, 03:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That video is a little confusing but our non adjustable torque arm does have -2 degrees built into it.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

In theory, If your car is as the OP said lowered on strano springs, but you dont have any binding couldnt you just measure the pinion angle with the stock piece and then tune the adjustable TA to mimic that?
Not my idea so I cant really take credit for it, but that should work fine.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
In theory, If your car is as the OP said lowered on strano springs, but you dont have any binding couldnt you just measure the pinion angle with the stock piece and then tune the adjustable TA to mimic that?
Not my idea so I cant really take credit for it, but that should work fine.

"In theory", yes. However, I think that's it's likely the pinion angle will change as the car is lowered. Therefore, you would want to correct for that.

Quick Reply: What pinion angle for UMI torque arm on Strano-lowered Z28?