Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New with Turbos and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New with Turbos and have a few questions

I'm doing a LS swap in a 81 Mustang and I do not know very much about turbos and LS motors.

Here is what my plans are, I'm going to use a 5.3 short block, 317 heads, LS6 intake, LS6 cam and springs, 70mm turbo, air to air intercooler, turbo 350 transmission.

Mind you, this is a very low budget build so I do not want to buy the best there is. If stock part will work then that is what I need to know. I'm trying to build a 9 second beater to play with on the street for under 5k. I know it can be done, it's just a matter of finding the deals.

My questions are:
What size injectors do I need?
Whats a good low budget fuel pump that is capable to support this?
What size stall converter do I need?

I already have the heads, intake, intercooler and bought a turbo today. So far I have 1k in the build including buying the car. I think my biggest expense is going to be the motor.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

First off I would look at going with better springs for the boost. Everything else should work. For how long is in the tune so make sure it has a good tune on it.

As far as injectors 96lbs injectors may be a little big but you should be able to run them and idle fine for the kind of power your wanting to make. If you plan on E85, alcohol or anything like that then just get the 160lbs injectors now.

You could probably get by with a Aeromotive A1000 now and if you need it then upgrade to another. Also I have heard good stories about the Bosch fuel pumps people on here run.

The converter is what will make or break you. That is one place I would not skimp or your times will suffer. Call Neal Chance or someone else reputable with turbo converters and go over your combo with them. otherwise you will be chasing your tail on why your times arent where they should be.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that is some high dollar parts for a budget build... I would think 60lb injectors would be enough to get you where you need to be, fuel pumps just do twin walbros in tank, I do agree with springs, you should get a good double spring like a PRC or PPG spring.

5000 grand going to be tough to do a swap and turbo build but good luck. I hope you are one hell of a fabricator so it keeps the cost down!
Old 07-25-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Since I have not bought the springs yet I will go ahead and get a better set, Any part numbers?

I will be taking it to wormboy to do the tune

I will be running Pump gas

To run a turbo do I need a special stall convertor? I have several good convertors but I do not know how high of a stall I need. It is going to be just a street car with very little track time. All i'm going to do is get a baseline on what it runs then it will be off to the streets.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can not help you with stall cause, I am not even sure if I have the right one... You may not get the right one on the first try you may have to try several, hopefully someone will be able to chime in and tell you more about that, I will post a part # for both in a sec!
Old 07-25-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
wow that is some high dollar parts for a budget build... I would think 60lb injectors would be enough to get you where you need to be, fuel pumps just do twin walbros in tank, I do agree with springs, you should get a good double spring like a PRC or PPG spring.

5000 grand going to be tough to do a swap and turbo build but good luck. I hope you are one hell of a fabricator so it keeps the cost down!
I do agree that 5k is going to be tough, I will be doing most of the fab work myself. This car will not be any kind of show car, it is going to be the ugliest POS most have ever seen.

The car is going to weigh about 2400 - 2600 pounds so its not going to take much hp to achieve a bottom 10 or 9's.

Here is what I have so far in cost:
81 Mustang running with a 302 $450.00 (Will sell motor and trans)
New 70mm Turbo $300.00
317 heads, LS6 intake and inter-cooler $250.00

I know a lot of the small parts is what cost but if I go over my budget it will not be a big deal. I'm just trying to see if i can do it.

If it does not work then I will put the turbo on my C5 and be done with it.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Teching In

X2 I agree entirely.

My buddy built a Fox similar to yours with a 5.3 and a 76mm. He is into the car for over double what you think you will be spending. The best its run is 10.40's @ 131 so far but is hunting for a single digit. If you can make this car run nines for more than one pass with 5K I want to hear about it.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by REGALIS
X2 I agree entirely.

My buddy built a Fox similar to yours with a 5.3 and a 76mm. He is into the car for over double what you think you will be spending. The best its run is 10.40's @ 131 so far but is hunting for a single digit. If you can make this car run nines for more than one pass with 5K I want to hear about it.
Like I said i'm going to "TRY", if it does not work i'm not out much.

99% of the part i'm going to buy is going to be used.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

as light as you are going to make it,I do not see it being to hard... and if you need the extra boot a nice 75 shot just might get it done....
Old 07-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Put a turbo set up on the 302 and run the same number for FAR LESS monetary outlay, effort and time.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Alex in Houston
Put a turbo set up on the 302 and run the same number for FAR LESS monetary outlay, effort and time.
its an old junk 302 with a 2bbl carb.

Since I sold the race car I just want to do a project just to see if it can be done on a low budget. I don't want to mess with the Corvette since it is my Daily driver but I do have a backhalf 69 Nova but I don't think I will get many races on the street with it.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Don't waste your time with the 302. By the time it makes the hp the ls motor will you will have a custom 2 piece block.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 PM
8 Second Club

$300 for a 70mm turbo? Used or new?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by veee8
$300 for a 70mm turbo? Used or new?
New...
Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 PM
8 Second Club

I can forsee that turbo being a problem, but I don't want to **** on your parade/
Old 07-25-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by veee8
I can forsee that turbo being a problem, but I don't want to **** on your parade/
Not pissing on my parade... I just sold a 67 Camaro that had a 698 that made over 1300hp on motor and another 800 in nitrous. I'm not trying to set the world on fire, I tried it and it cost too much money.

This is just project to give me something to do, I know it is a cheap turbo (OBX) but its a start. I could have gone out and bought a high dollar Turbo, wastegate, headers, FAST System, MSD7531 box and all the other fancy **** but then it would not be a cheap build.

If it works it works, if not I can say I tried and failed. Not the 1st time I have failed at a project.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think that you can get a Master Power turbo for about double that if I remember correct. you might look into that for a little more longevity
Old 07-26-2008, 05:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that you can get a Master Power turbo for about double that if I remember correct. you might look into that for a little more longevity
That's not much better then the OBX...lol.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
Not pissing on my parade... I just sold a 67 Camaro that had a 698 that made over 1300hp on motor and another 800 in nitrous. I'm not trying to set the world on fire, I tried it and it cost too much money.

This is just project to give me something to do, I know it is a cheap turbo (OBX) but its a start. I could have gone out and bought a high dollar Turbo, wastegate, headers, FAST System, MSD7531 box and all the other fancy **** but then it would not be a cheap build.

If it works it works, if not I can say I tried and failed. Not the 1st time I have failed at a project.
You can skimp on certain parts, but the turbo and the wastegate is not one of them. Also a cheap turbo if it blows.....well all the parts go into the intercooler or motor....much more expensive in the long run.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
You can skimp on certain parts, but the turbo and the wastegate is not one of them. Also a cheap turbo if it blows.....well all the parts go into the intercooler or motor....much more expensive in the long run.
I will not skimp on the fuel system either, A friend of mine is getting me a 60mm wastegate. I do not know the brand but i will find out.

I may just use this turbo to mock up then system and buy a better one closer to the end of hte project.

Quick Reply: New with Turbos and have a few questions