Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfiring and Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Misfiring and Shaking

I was driving my 2000 SS today in the downpouring rain, and all of a sudden, the car started misfiring and felt like it was running on 4 cyls, and it was shaken quite a bit, and then i noticed the SES light came on, i noticed once it stoped raining the car ran alittle better, checked the air lid and only a little bit of water made it in, got it home and plugged in my scanner and got two trouble codes, one said Misfire detected on mutiple cylinders and other one said 02 sensor high voltage deteteced bank 1, i cleared the codes and it ran fine for 30 mins and then, it acted up again and ran like crap and the SES light is on again, what the heck did i do to this thing? i only hit a few puddles, nothing bad, but it was really bad out.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what type of o2 extension do u have?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StreetnStrip
what type of o2 extension do u have?
i bought them from speedtweekerz not sure, but the car is fine so far now, i filled her up to the top with gas, and got on her a little, and the SES cleared itself, and so far so good, this is weird
Old 07-28-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it was raining hard you may want to check the connections on the extensions. it is well known that they sometimes get wet during a heavy rain or when there is a lot of water on the road. just pull the connector apart and use some air to dry them out. But it sounds like you got her running right.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by heavy6.0
if it was raining hard you may want to check the connections on the extensions. it is well known that they sometimes get wet during a heavy rain or when there is a lot of water on the road. just pull the connector apart and use some air to dry them out. But it sounds like you got her running right.
yup you are right, i pulled the one extension and water came out of the connecter, i dryed it out, i hope this works, it had to be that you were def right thank u
Old 07-28-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

wow! that may be my problem!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
wow! that may be my problem!
yeah try it bro, it may be, btw so far so good
Old 07-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

My car also hates the rain..... ive had it fall on its face before during heavy rain and then it would not start. it was doing it damn near every time it would rain for a couple hours.... i could not figure out for the life of me what the hell was getting wet so one day i got out the hose and soaked my car and popped the hood. the only thing i could see getting water to it was my computer so i put a zip lock freezer baggy over that bastard and have not had a problem since...coincidence? maybe, although it looks retarded it looks less retarded than falling on my face at 2000 rpms...lol
Old 07-29-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by o1ls1ssmaro
My car also hates the rain..... ive had it fall on its face before during heavy rain and then it would not start. it was doing it damn near every time it would rain for a couple hours.... i could not figure out for the life of me what the hell was getting wet so one day i got out the hose and soaked my car and popped the hood. the only thing i could see getting water to it was my computer so i put a zip lock freezer baggy over that bastard and have not had a problem since...coincidence? maybe, although it looks retarded it looks less retarded than falling on my face at 2000 rpms...lol
wow i didnt think that would get soaked?
Old 08-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem with the rain. Pulled the 02 sensors out and water came out. Now a couple days after with no rain my car has been doing the same thing its almost like clock work now I start the car runs for about a minute then starts bucking and misfiring and then it stops and runs normal. what could cause this?
Old 08-30-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by biggums46
I had the same problem with the rain. Pulled the 02 sensors out and water came out. Now a couple days after with no rain my car has been doing the same thing its almost like clock work now I start the car runs for about a minute then starts bucking and misfiring and then it stops and runs normal. what could cause this?

try the spark plug wires, i had the same issue, my spark pluge wires were rusted on connections to the coils and to the spark plugs, i changed them and ive never had the prob ever since
Old 08-31-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by biggums46
my car did this as well after a heavy rain. i thought it was water related. wouldnt acccelerate at all. misfiring bad. then ran fine. drove it home and parked it. next morning (no rain) car ran fine for first 2 mins then started missing and bucking. wouldnt go over 50 ( i was on highway) then it just cleared up and ran fine. would do it everytime it was cold started. run like **** for a few mins then clear up. I tried plugs. clean tb and maf and IAC. (IAC just because I was there). still no change. i hooked up 8 spark plug testers and had someone powerbrake it. I found the coil packs were falling off one at a time. sometimes more than one at a time. only link from the coil packs is straight to the PCM. I had a buddy of mine at NAPA reflash my PCM and it straightened it all out. I had a corvette do this as well and i fixed it the same way. havent had a single issue. and there was no water or corrosion in the harness to the PCM.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Where can I go to get a PCM reflash? Is it expensive to do? I checked all the spark plugs and wires and they are good and the o2 sensor connections had no water in them. This problem is driving me crazy.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your local napa can do it. bring the PCM and vin number. Napa can only do GM vehicles tho.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Teching In

I'm going to try this out. I know I keep questioning you to death, but what exactly do I tell them? The car is still on stock tune so do I have them reflash stock tune on it?